Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental (IAH), TX [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental (IAH), TX [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental One Pass (Platinum Elite) , Marriott Rewards (Gold Elite)

Never stayed at the Marriott at IAH before any comments. If not, are there any other Marriotts close you'd recommend?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
It's an older hotel, some of the rooms are in a tower, and some are in a circular kind of multi-floor section. Elite's usually end up there, I never stayed in the tower part. Rooms on the inside of the circle are quiter, and overlook a small pool area. Those on the outside have views of the airport, terminals, or other stuff at IAH and have more noise. The rooms are sort of pie shaped in the round section. The best thing I can say about it is that you can take the elevator straight down to the level where the terminal tram runs, but you are outside security. I'd often return my rental car the night before an early morning flight out of IAH, take the shuttle over, and then be in position to get a little more sleep.

A couple miles away down Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Parkway) there's a RI, a CY, and a full service MRot Houston North Greenspoint. I stayed many times at the RI and MRot and would pick either over the IAH hotel if I were going to be there for more than a day. Not that it's a great part of town, but at least there's a mall and some places to eat close by, which are some of the closest places to the airport hotel, so over the course of a couple days it's easier to be closer to them, rather than isolated over at the airport.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by edweird
A couple miles away down Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Parkway) there's a RI, a CY, and a full service MRot Houston North Greenspoint. I stayed many times at the RI and MRot and would pick either over the IAH hotel if I were going to be there for more than a day. Not that it's a great part of town, but at least there's a mall and some places to eat close by, which are some of the closest places to the airport hotel, so over the course of a couple days it's easier to be closer to them, rather than isolated over at the airport.
Not a great part of town is putting it lightly. It's nickname is "Gunspoint"!
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I started travelling to Houston in '96 and at that time it was rather rough. There was some changes to the assisted housing that was in the area, along with the addition of a police precinct in the mall, and things got better, although the nickname has continued to stick. I certainly wouldn't recommend that female guests jog in the area at night, I can say that what I saw were property crimes. Laptops being stolen out of rental cars, when they were left in sight.

As someone who's travelled a bit, I'd not put it at the top of either the safest or worst place to stay. Certainly you need to be aware of your surroundings, but folks find trouble even in the nicer areas of Houston, like the Galleria or Woodlands.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:18 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The IAH Marriott is far from luxurious but certainly serviceable and convenient. I've stayed in lot of different rooms and never found noise to be a problem. The CL is small but seldom is overly busy. I prefer an outside room in the tower because I enjoy watching the airport operations.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:33 am

Don't go to Greenspoint. Visit The Woodlands. Hotel overpriced.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by emd22
Never stayed at the Marriott at IAH before any comments. If not, are there any other Marriotts close you'd recommend?
Wife and I stayed at IAH in Feb. Nothing special but we did get a suite upgrade. It is a great hotel if you have an early AM flight as we did.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Closer than the Greenspoint area are new Marriott-brand properties on JFK Blvd (the main route out of airport.) Look for a brand-new SpringHill Suites on JFK Blvd and a Fairfield and TownePlace on "Interwood Blvd" which is off JFK Blvd, just south of Beltway 8. These two have been open just a few months so are quite "fresh". Quick straightforward drive on JFK Blvd for rental car return.

Have stayed at the Fairfield on Interwood Blvd a few times and received upgrades to their suites.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by emd22
Details? How long are you there for and do you have a car? Do you enjoy on-airport or it drives you crazy? Enjoy or can't stand driving in strange cities? Willing to pay for convenience or very price oriented? Like funky vintage or worship brand new?

If we're only talking one short night for an early flight connection, assuming money is reasonably close don't mess with a hotel shuttle and don't think about anyplace else. Beyond that everything is a function of what you place value on (and you haven't shared priorities).
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Anyone Been Here Lately,

and what do you think?

Back when I flew through IAH frequently I liked the place somewhat dated though it was, at least if I got in the main space station building. But then again I don't find quirky that frustrating, and the club made up for a few things. It was getting dated even then, and the price has gone way up.

May need to be in North Houston again soon. Has it been upgraded to match the price rise?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:41 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The IAH Marriott is one of the earliest in-airport hotels. It has been renovated several times.

Yes, it's quirky, but I've always received excellent service. There is also a lot to be said for walking to your flight in the morning.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by jayer
and what do you think?

Back when I flew through IAH frequently I liked the place somewhat dated though it was, at least if I got in the main space station building. But then again I don't find quirky that frustrating, and the club made up for a few things. It was getting dated even then, and the price has gone way up.

May need to be in North Houston again soon. Has it been upgraded to match the price rise?
I only stayed there once two years ago. Considering how out of the way the airport is from the rest of the city, unless you specifically need to be in that area and there's not another Marriott off airport I wouldn't stay there. As others have said, if you want a convenient hotel for an early morning flight it's the best.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: UAL,AA, Marriott Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
Just stayed there last night. Very quiet on inner ring of circle core building.

We were canned on a UAL flight so used a cert to stay the night with 3 kids.

Yes CL small but it was nice. Door on room closed at 9:06 and all 5 of us were clear of security at 9:22. You can't beat that.

Boy is it dated. It is like a time machine. BUT, the restaurant on top of the ring building had an unreal sunset view of the field. It was like an ocean view room.

Still great service, got a massive upgrade to a massive suite. It was 17 paces from one side of room to the other, and I am tall.

It made a bad deal flying stand-by on UAL a not bad night. The bed was totally awesome.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
That is a very bad part of town. Stay at airport if you have early morning flight otherwise head to woodlands.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Originally Posted by slickvik
That is a very bad part of town. Stay at airport if you have early morning flight otherwise head to woodlands.
Which hotel are you talking about? This thread is about the IAH which is as close to the airport as you can get. If you are talking about the Houston North Marriott, then I agree. Calling it a bad area is an understatement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.