FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/833911-buy-presidential-dollar-coins-cc-face-value-free-shipping.html)

joediver Oct 13, 2008 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by fone (Post 10515940)
Why do many people want to buy the coins to spend? Is there a difference swiping your card for the points, then spending the coins as compared to swiping your card for the actual transactions? Granted that not all places accept card, but if you were to replace part of what is supposed to be a card transaction with the coins, you will still get the same amount of points.

Most people are looking to get the initial purchase requirement of $250, $500 or $750 under their belts to get the 25,000 mile, 10,000 point, or whatever new card bonus offered without actually "spending" any money. Hence the deposit is just used to pay the first statement.

biggestbopper Oct 13, 2008 9:20 pm

The people I give them to love them. Went to a charity party last weekend and paid for the tickets with coins. The ticket folks called everyone on the charity committee over to check out the "gold" coins.

Guess I'll be depositing less in the bank than I thought. :D

And, you know, 25 in your pocket weigh less than I would have thought.

icurhere2 Oct 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Why do many people want to buy the coins to spend? Is there a difference swiping your card for the points, then spending the coins as compared to swiping your card for the actual transactions? Granted that not all places accept card, but if you were to replace part of what is supposed to be a card transaction with the coins, you will still get the same amount of points.

Having the coins gets them in circulation and even encourages good behavior (don't have to get change for a $20 bill to leave tips). Plus, the aim is to use the coins where one cannot use a credit card. And a lot of people are curious and like receiving them. I used a ton when I was in Vegas.

joediver Oct 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by icurhere2 (Post 10515992)
Having the coins gets them in circulation and even encourages good behavior (don't have to get change for a $20 bill to leave tips). Plus, the aim is to use the coins where one cannot use a credit card. And a lot of people are curious and like receiving them. I used a ton when I was in Vegas.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do not recognize that you are giving them dollars and think they are simply quarters. I've had plenty of confused looks when using them.

UA Fan Oct 13, 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by joediver (Post 10516009)
Unfortunately, a lot of people do not recognize that you are giving them dollars and think they are simply quarters. I've had plenty of confused looks when using them.

yeah one cashier did not even believe they were US currency and had to double check with her boss.

mapsmith Oct 13, 2008 10:14 pm

Another use coming up. (I have frequently done this with Susies and Sacies.)

Great to drop in the Salvation Army Kettles at the Holidays.

sammy0623 Oct 13, 2008 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by icurhere2 (Post 10515992)

good call on Vegas...you can earn miles on your gambling losses!

thehawk75 Oct 14, 2008 1:25 am

Which is exactly why I don't waste a moment keeping them and deposit them into my bank account right away (less 1 roll of each president, just for the heck of it).

icurhere2 Oct 14, 2008 7:08 am

Originally Posted by sammy0623 (Post 10516433)
good call on Vegas...you can earn miles on your gambling losses!

Only tips, but there are a ton of people in Vegas who need tips right now.

studentff Oct 14, 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by GuyverII (Post 10515854)
My $750 arrived last week. Really disappointed in the number of places that won't take the coins! These people in the midwest are so adverse to change it is ridiculous.

Guess I will just deposit them.

Are retail establishments refusing to accept individual coins as payment or are you trying to pay with rolls? I can see not taking rolls, but that's pretty nasty if they're refusing individual coins (in reasonable quantities).

marel2 Oct 14, 2008 9:45 am

I put 90 coins in a treasure chest type box and gave it to my aunt for her 90th birthday...it was a hit!

jn024 Oct 14, 2008 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by studentff (Post 10517755)
Are retail establishments refusing to accept individual coins as payment or are you trying to pay with rolls? I can see not taking rolls, but that's pretty nasty if they're refusing individual coins (in reasonable quantities).

I believe they legally have to accept them up to around $75 (i forget the number). There are laws written about accepting legal tender currency.

soitgoes Oct 14, 2008 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by jn024 (Post 10520441)
I believe they legally have to accept them up to around $75 (i forget the number). There are laws written about accepting legal tender currency.

Only for payments of DEBTS.

cepheid Oct 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jn024 (Post 10520441)

Yes, and as has been stated at least a few times in this thread, those laws apply only when the debt exists prior to payment; if the debt is cotemporaneous with payment (i.e. you get your product at the same time as you pay), merchants are entirely within their rights to restrict the forms of payment they accept.

beckoa Oct 15, 2008 3:18 am

I just placed one for the following:

Product Name Quantity Price (each) Total Availability Gift Box Product Ship Date
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - George Washington (Y06)
2 $250.00 $500.00 In Stock N
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - John Adams (Y02)
Circulating $1 Coin Direct Ship Rolls - Thomas Jefferson (Y03)
Subtotal (w/o Shipping & Handling) $1,500.00
Shipping & Handling (includes any Gift Box charges) $0.00

Total Order $1,500.00

Destination... ANC