FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/833911-buy-presidential-dollar-coins-cc-face-value-free-shipping.html)

Ritz Jun 13, 2008 10:16 am

Thanks OP! I'm in for 2 boxes..and hopefully many more if the program stays the same for the other Presidents.

mia Jun 13, 2008 10:27 am

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 9874019)
Product is now backordered to July 15th.
(I assume this is literally a "box" not a "bag" of coins.)

The item which is backordered to July 15 is not the same as the item under discussion, which shows "Product will be available for shipping 06/28/2008". The Mint does sell "bags" of uncirculated coins at a premium to face value ($319.95 for 250 coins). The item under discussion is sold wrapped,10 rolls of 25 each per box, as depicted here...

https://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wc...egory_rn=16238

A high proportion of the production of these are used in Ecuador and other countries which have "dollarized" the economy, but the population prefers coins to notes.

soitgoes Jun 13, 2008 10:32 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday (Post 9871576)
Seems a bit of work for 500 SPG points,
but, hey, that will buy a nice buffet breakfast next time !

A little OT, but how do you get a breakfast buffet for 500 Starpoints? I usually see breakfast at about 1500 points on Instant Awards.

Originally Posted by hfly (Post 9873635)
This was maybe a valid concern 10-15 YEARS ago, however since that time all sorts of measures have been taken and bits added to different denominations to make such a thing impossible.

I agree with the rest of your comments, but counterfeiting is by no means nonexistent.

rrgg Jun 13, 2008 10:35 am

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for clearing that up. When I first looked at this yesterday, I thought it said "available" but when I ordered today it said "backordered."

johnndor Jun 13, 2008 10:56 am

In for 2 boxes, but we'll see if it lasts...

JohnDunn Jun 13, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks! Backordered so it will ship 6/28

JohnDunn Jun 13, 2008 12:28 pm

Is it two boxes per customer/billing address or two boxes per credit card/shipping address?

lili Jun 13, 2008 12:56 pm

I can't believe that for a few minutes I actually considered doing this ....:eek:

JohnDunn Jun 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by lili (Post 9875232)
I can't believe that for a few minutes I actually considered doing this ....:eek:

What's wrong with doing it? I take the bus a lot so I will actually use many of the dollar coins^

fairviewroad Jun 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal (Post 9872919)
I have to ask... how often do people see $1 coins in the U.S? Will there ever be a day when the $1 note is phased out?

Depends on where you are. I see lots of $1 coins in cities with transit vending machines. When I lived in Philly I would get Susan B. Anthony's in change when I bought, say $5 worth of tokens with a $10 bill. I think most stamp vending machines in post offices issue change in $1 bills. (oops, meant "coins")

That being said, you'll get odd looks when you try to use them, especially from teeny-boppers pressing the buttons at fast-food cash registers.

sbm12 Jun 13, 2008 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 9874240)
A high proportion of the production of these are used in Ecuador and other countries which have "dollarized" the economy, but the population prefers coins to notes.

Interesting that you mention Ecuador. When I was there all the coins were local, not US minted versions. The paper currency was US. The local coins are the same value and size/shape as US coin, and they accepted US coin if I wanted to spend it, but I don't recall seeing many US coins for change.

bk3day Jun 13, 2008 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by fairviewroad (Post 9875998)
Depends on where you are. I see lots of $1 coins in cities with transit vending machines. When I lived in Philly I would get Susan B. Anthony's in change when I bought, say $5 worth of tokens with a $10 bill. I think most stamp vending machines in post offices issue change in $1 bills.

In addition to SEPTA ticket machines, dollar coins are also the type of change dispensed by USPS stamp vending machines.

fyi, don't be thrown by the displayed "shipping charge" at the first steps of your order, that charge zeros out by the time you complete the purchase.

cepheid Jun 13, 2008 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes (Post 9872927)
Rarely, though I really don't expect that will change unless they stop circulating the $1 bill, which gets talked about, but not acted upon.

That may get acted upon in the near future, though, now that the same-size banknotes have been ruled discriminatory against the blind. Since the Bureau of Engraving and Printing will now have to rework all of the bills, they may take the opportunity to officially abandon the dollar bill...

I'm all for it.

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 9873628)
The idea of annoying my bank for lucrative miles/points/cashback seems a little unappealing.

I agree, though the annoyance to myself is more important than the annoyance to my bank. That's why I probably will not be participating in this... but I just had to throw the idea out there before someone else did. ;)

mikeef Jun 13, 2008 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg (Post 9873628)
The idea of annoying my bank for lucrative miles/points/cashback seems a little unappealing.

Ahh, see that's where we're different. I bank with Bank of America, and they annoy me for free!

Mike

JClarkKent2003 Jun 13, 2008 6:28 pm

$500 free rewards on our cc's, awesome! in for 2.

any other pres coins available same deal, or any other deals going on like this any where that i can accumulate some free points?

I'm new here, registered 2 years ago when a friend told me about it but never really used it, but funny enough i learned of this deal 10 minutes before i came back to this website.