FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/833911-buy-presidential-dollar-coins-cc-face-value-free-shipping.html)

The Mileage Millionaire Jun 12, 2008 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by cepheid (Post 9870913)
Hmm, only 200 boxes to get lifetime Gold on AA... who'll be the next PresidentialCoinGuy? ;)

(I use cash so rarely that this would only be worthwhile for me if I just deposited them at the bank, which not only goes against the spirit of the program, but is also just a major pain in the butt... not to mention that the most I'd make out of it would be 1.5%, which isn't worth the hassle of schlepping coins to the bank.)

That would be 2,000 boxes!

My bank is right next to my work, so it's well worth the trouble, especially since it applies to lifetime miles!

mahasamatman Jun 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY (Post 9871133)
Right now, there are only 8 Presidential $1 coins issued.

No, only six so far.

A president has to be no longer living to have the coin issued.

I believe it's a little more than that. IIRC, the president must have been dead for a period of time (two years?) before they'll release the coin.

it is possible that one or more of the currently living four may not live to 2016, but this still means only 86 boxes available at most in 2016

If more than one dies before 2014, the coins will run into 2017. They don't list a release date for Reagan just because they don't know if he'll be the Q3 release (if Carter survives) or the Q4 release (if he doesn't).

Since I'm a bit of a collector, this is nice just because sometimes the convenient banks don't seem to have the coins.

Sarah DDS Jun 12, 2008 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by azmmza (Post 9870368)
i just ordered $500
it will be interesting when i walk into the bank to make a deposit with 2 boxes of coins :cool:

Be careful. Some banks are now charging customers who deposit coins, especially large amounts.

mahasamatman Jun 12, 2008 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah DDS (Post 9871495)
Some banks are now charging customers who deposit coins, especially large amounts.

Any reputable ones? If they're rolled, they shouldn't charge even for pennies.

MrHalliday Jun 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Just bought $500 of Quincy....
now to look for other presidents.

Seems a bit of work for 500 SPG points,
but, hey, that will buy a nice buffet breakfast next time !

...And reminds me of days when you could charge US Bonds to the AMEX !

Thanks much to the OP.

cepheid Jun 12, 2008 10:20 pm

"Orders are limited to two boxes ($500) per President."

Sure, but how are they limiting this? Per person, per household, per credit card? If per person, then you can order 2 boxes per member of your household... if per household, you can send one order to your work address, perhaps. But yes, it could be a bit difficult to get too many boxes.

Originally Posted by fsa_ea (Post 9871442)
That would be 2,000 boxes!

Er... whoops! :eek: I guess I misplaced a factor of 10 somewhere. Sorry!

Even if the bank were right next door to me, I don't think it'd really be worth my hassle... 2 boxes @ $500 * 1.5% = $7.50. While certainly every penny counts for me, as a starving graduate student, there's a limit to my free time. :) Maybe if I could get 3% or 5% out of it, I'd think it's more worthwhile, but since the Mint doesn't fall under any of the "special categories" for any of my credit cards, 1.5% is the best return I'd get. (I'm not counting any float from depositing the $500 into an interest-bearing account for the month grace period before I'd have to pay the CC bill... even at 4% APY, that float is worth only 0.33% = $1.67.)

That said, for those of you who want to do it... have at it. :)

In fact, I'm quite surprised we haven't heard from Marathon Man yet... ;)

matagal Jun 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Very Interesting

I just placed my order. A painless way to get miles. Thanks!

mikeyyz Jun 12, 2008 11:11 pm

If you value points at 8-10 CPM (J/F fares) and have a good card earning 1.5, then this is 15% ROI which is quite good :) too bad I live in Canada!

mikew99 Jun 13, 2008 12:32 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday (Post 9871576)
...And reminds me of days when you could charge US Bonds to the AMEX !

:-: Those were the days! :-:

I still have the 2 $5,000 savings bonds that I purchased back in 2002/2003, the DL miles I earned having long been spent on a memorable AF Concorde trip.

I didn't plan to hold the bonds this long, but with the crash of the Internet and housing bubbles, those savings bonds (worth only about $12-13K now) weren't such a bad addition to my portfolio after all. :cool:

chuckd Jun 13, 2008 12:44 am

Unfortunately:

"Orders are limited to two boxes ($500) per President."

)

True, but I don't see a limit on the number of orders.

DBCme Jun 13, 2008 1:44 am

In for 2 boxes.

Anyone seing any other $1 coins avail for other than John Quincy Adams?
Click here to view larger image

Palal Jun 13, 2008 1:52 am

If you go back to the product page and add more of the same item, you don't get the error message.

jswadley Jun 13, 2008 2:03 am

A scheme to exchange real currency for equally real currency in order to earn fake currency. Brilliant! :)

soitgoes Jun 13, 2008 2:57 am

Originally Posted by chuckd (Post 9872047)
True, but I don't see a limit on the number of orders.

It's two boxes total per President, not two boxes per order.

jabrams72 Jun 13, 2008 2:58 am

Hmmm, tempting and I'll do one order, but is there a chance of getting "done" for money laundering?