Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

HELP! Warning letter received for my FU(Freedom Unlimited)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Received this message via SM for my FU and while I'm not shutdown, curious about DP's and wondering if I need to suspend all MS on this card. Never cycle CL (high 20k's), but do about 13k monthly at GCM/SM (my mall codes as the mall name) in addition to most everyday purchases being charged to this card. Should I avoid MS all together now that I've received this? Or should I limit it to a lower amount and avoid GCM? Curious what experiences you all have had and would love your insights! Def don't want to burn a bridge with this bank!! Do also have a CSR...

"We reviewed your credit card account and it appears certain activities indicate potential misuse of the rewards program.

Examples of such activities include:
  • Buying or selling rewards
  • Selling, or participating in the sale or exchange of, gift cards, travel or other items of value obtained through use of rewards
  • Repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the purpose of generating rewards
  • Manufacturing spend for the purpose of generating rewards
  • Moving or transferring rewards to an ineligible third party or account
  • Misuse of a third-party merchant or service provider program with which rewards may be used under this program
  • Misuse of a frequent travel program to which rewards may be transferred under this program, if applicable

We may close this and any other accounts you have with C---- if this activity continues, or if there is any other indication of misuse.

Please see your rewards program agreement for additional details. If you have questions, please call us anytime at the number on the back of your card."
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yeah probably a good idea to stop all MS activity on that card for a while you obviously caught someone's attention. Definitely don't wan to burn any bridges with ch@se.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TyPo311
Yeah probably a good idea to stop all MS activity on that card for a while you obviously caught someone's attention. Definitely don't wan to burn any bridges with ch@se.
Well damn, was really hoping for a different answer LOL. Anyone else have any DP's? Do you think going down to 2k/month just from SM would raise flags?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ssflyer13
Received this message via SM for my FU and while I'm not shutdown, curious about DP's and wondering if I need to suspend all MS ...
(I just wanted to say that "context is everything" and while I know what you'd meant, my dirty mind went somewhere else for a minute )
gm9928 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Ha!!

Any insight beyond the dirty?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:30 pm

Is it worth risking getting shut down by Chase and lose all relations with them over 2K MS? Just stop all MS on this card and any other Chase cards you might have. Move over your MS spend to another CC issuer.
ssflyer13, hi55us, TyPo311 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Well damn, was really hoping for a different answer LOL. Anyone else have any DP's? Do you think going down to 2k/month just from SM would raise flags?
Any insight beyond the dirty?
Since I get the impression you're going to keep asking until you get the answer you want*, here you go: "Oh yeah man, they don't care unless you do $2100/mo or more MS. You'll be safe, you definitely won't lose your entire UR balance or ability to bank with Chase"

*Offer not guaranteed
ssflyer13, msp3, nwflyboy and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:02 pm
Suspended

OP, I assume you went over the list they sent and none of the other points apply to you, if thats the case its not only stop MSing with the card in question but Id go as far as to say you need to cut Chase out with any Chase card. at least for now. GCM is something I never did and even with SM there are ways to sort of disguise it

Bout all I would do is get the cards somewhere where you can be purchasing other items and keep the #s low out of the high 4 or 5 digit amounts, ot go out with your guns a blazing and accept a shut down of any and all types of accts with Chase
ssflyer13 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
Since I get the impression you're going to keep asking until you get the answer you want*, here you go: "Oh yeah man, they don't care unless you do $2100/mo or more MS. You'll be safe, you definitely won't lose your entire UR balance or ability to bank with Chase"

*Offer not guaranteed
Nope, just was wondering how common this is...it’s the only one I ms on so it’s just a punch to the gut with a Kauai trip on the horizon...
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'd suck it up and stop MSing on this card. Just be thankful you got a warning instead of a shutdown.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:26 pm

How many months have you been doing 5 digit MS'ing on the card?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I'd suck it up and stop MSing on this card. Just be thankful you got a warning instead of a shutdown.
This!

Be very grateful that you seem to still have all of your current points.
Why in the world would you tempt fate by risking doing what they are clearly telling you NOT to do or they probably WILL shut down your account and you'll lose any points you've still got?

??

GC
ssflyer13 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:38 pm
Suspended

You've got nowhere else to spend 2k/month? This FU is your only place to manufacture spend? Go ahead and do what you'd like - the notice is pretty clear.
808traveler likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:29 am

I would probably double your MS spend, the letter they sent you is probably a fake....LOL ch@se sent you a letter and bulleted the exact thing you are doing that is against their terms. It's like a police officer who has caught you speeding and is telling you he is setting up to clock you again and the next time you'll get a ticket and you are asking if you should continue to speed??? You got an incredible do over. Be glad they didn't shut you down, strip you of your points, and discontinue your relationship with them, all over MSing on a 1.5% UR card???? Wow.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camaross
How many months have you been doing 5 digit MS'ing on the card?
1.5 yrs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.