Wiki Posts
Search

USB VGCs done!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

USB VGCs done!

Hi all,

I've been out of the loop for a while, but still plugging along little by little.

My favorite route (purchase USB VGCs at Krogers, offload to whatever) has recently met its demise.

USB has recently tightened up their security. They've made it near impossible for fraudsters to steal thees GC numbers (was a huge problem for a long time).

However, one of the methods USB has implemented is to put a block on the card when one attempts to drain it in a single transaction. I'm not quite sure how they're doing this (blocking all purchases that drain the card at once? blocking large PIN transaction for large volumes?).

I noticed my MO location recently switched to WU machines. Maybe USB has some link with WU to detect this?

Either way, it becomes a pain to liquidate as you have to call in several times to get the card unblocked and this happens everytime.

Anybody else experience the same?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
I usually don't get the Kroger ones because the pins aren't the last four but I used one last night (buying and liquidating in a hour). Did you enter your pin multiple times in error for the card to lock? No issues at Wally, where were you liquidating?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Good to hear it's not a nationwide thing.

Maybe these techniques are limited to LA/OC? We have had a huge wave of fraudsters ravaging this area for years....

Multiple cards were used and all had the same reaction. PIN was entered (correctly) just once into a WU MO terminal before the card gets locked.

Liquidating in a cali-specific store.

Would love to hear more reports from other if you've been using USB! Take caution!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:07 pm

Been working fine for me without issues in the Pacific Northwest for several weeks, including earlier today, at several MO locations.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:35 pm

Maybe you just got unlucky and got card numbers that thieves had already tried to use or check the balance of before they were activated, causing US Bank to lock the cards.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:50 pm

Cashed out 4 $100 UBS VGCs yesterday via GoBank loads and regular spending, all 4 transactions using the entire value of the card, no issues.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbft77
Maybe you just got unlucky and got card numbers that thieves had already tried to use or check the balance of before they were activated, causing US Bank to lock the cards.
I have had instances where that has happened. Usually the rep will state that's the case, then ask to register the card under your name and send you a new card.

This does not appear to be the same thing, but I cannot be sure. Either way, super glad to hear everyone else is getting by just fine!

Apologies for the chicken little post!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:20 pm

I am in the LA area and USB VGCs from Ralph's loaded to Serve/BB had been my avenue also until 2 weeks ago...same exact problems you have described, OP. Does your MO location happen to be a WM? I'm trying to find out if the source of the lock is the USB VGCs themselves or if WM has hardcoded against VGCs.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:35 pm

If you're correct that the problem is draining in a single purchase, then can you work around it by splitting it into 2, e.g., 250 & 250 instead of 500?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy

Originally Posted by slookx24
I am in the LA area and USB VGCs from Ralph's loaded to Serve/BB had been my avenue also until 2 weeks ago...same exact problems you have described, OP. Does your MO location happen to be a WM? I'm trying to find out if the source of the lock is the USB VGCs themselves or if WM has hardcoded against VGCs.
Yay for more datapoints. Yup, 2 weeks ago is exactly when this started for me as well. No, I haven't visited WM in ages. It strongly sounds like something that is specific to USB. I know for a fact they've tightened up their security protocols (and that's a good thing!), but the collateral damage is that full swipes seem to be blocked now. I'd advise ditching USB for another source

Originally Posted by sbft77
If you're correct that the problem is draining in a single purchase, then can you work around it by splitting it into 2, e.g., 250 & 250 instead of 500?
I probably could, but I have 0 clue where their "limit" is or if that even is the reason for the block. I'll eventually get rid of these... but will just stay away from USB (and lower cali residents should too).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: IHG, Hilton diamond (IHG match) SPG gold
midwest
Had a panic attack bout 10 days ago. Bought 4 usb @ kro chain (under 2 k works at self check out). First two cards fine - next day “code 12” @ Wally, but meta was bau. Tried again after a few days - usb@ Wally bau. Did 4 today bau. Bau = Full value drain one transaction -

since 1k thing - routine is kro get 2x500 and 2x490.88 @ self checkout- go to Wally ask for one 990 - two trips more of pain but no hassles w csr no ID required
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:41 pm

Sbft77

Re sbft77:But defeating cost effectiveness - maybe buy a soda or pack of gum then drain?

Last edited by 808pineapple; Feb 12, 2019 at 11:43 pm Reason: Reference
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
Re sbft77:But defeating cost effectiveness - maybe buy a soda or pack of gum then drain?
Sounds painless enough. Will have to give that a try next time I get a chance.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 3:18 pm

Weird, it happened again:
same wmnm - same “new” terminal - the one that slides only face up.
1st 5c meta fine
2nd usb “card reader error”
canceled mo
walked over to self check and bought candy bar w usb debit and pin.

waiting for a day to try and drain at different Wally

other usb from same purchase drained in one transaction earlier.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 808pineapple
2nd usb “card reader error”
walked over to self check and bought candy bar w usb debit and pin.
Now that is strange. TBH, I had not tried buying something right after getting declined at MO, instead I called in to get my card "unlocked" and put my KYC on it.
Bought a fruit at self-checkout and MO'd out next day (but left some scratch on the card).
I suspect (((they))) are watching for full cashout of loaded amount, but it is strange how sporadic this appears to be. No idea if adding your KYC to card will help, but that's clearly not in the interest of time.

I'm still staying away from USB as it's just a pain when there's other options in the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.