FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Are you getting rid of the SPG Card now? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1905893-you-getting-rid-spg-card-now.html)

mia Jun 6, 2018 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by CDO (Post 29836656)
Is the change happening on billing cycle or hard date of 8/1?

American Express sends points to Starwood at the end of each billing cycle. Points earned on a statement generated in July would be sent to Starwood, same as now. I expect points earned on a statement generated in August would be sent to the new program.

Travelz Jun 6, 2018 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29836742)
American Express sends points to Starwood at the end of each billing cycle. Points earned on a statement generated in July would be sent to Starwood, same as now. I expect points earned on a statement generated in August would be sent to the new program.

That is what I thought, so I plan to get my MS done by my July statement.

worldtravels Jun 6, 2018 7:21 pm

I would expect that all transactions with a posting date of July 31 or earlier earn under the present scheme, and all those posting after that date under the new earning scheme.

CDO Jun 6, 2018 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by worldtravels (Post 29837972)
I would expect that all transactions with a posting date of July 31 or earlier earn under the present scheme, and all those posting after that date under the new earning scheme.

Even mid-cycle? That would be surprising

mia Jun 7, 2018 5:13 am

Originally Posted by worldtravels (Post 29837972)

Points are not earned until they appear on a statement.

CDO Jun 7, 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29839214)

ok so its after your statement cuts?

dogbyte Jun 28, 2018 4:35 am

I’ve been planning to stop my spending on the SPG after my statement closes in early July because of the transistion to the new earning structure in August. However, I read on Frequent Miler that we would continue to earn StarPoints until August, which would convert to Marriott points at 3:1 and it doesn’t matter when the points post to the account.

Both point of views make sense to me. What do others think? I guess I could just continue to keep spending until August and even if I end up only earning 2/3 of the expected points, it’s not a huge loss.

https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...ott-spg-front/

CDO Jul 8, 2018 7:48 pm

Not really true, technically they are earned once the appear in your account.

mia Jul 9, 2018 7:11 am

Originally Posted by CDO (Post 29952308)

If you mean the points are earned when the transaction appears in your American Express online account, we disagree.

radonc1 Jul 9, 2018 11:17 am

Yes and no.
Technically, your points are "earned" at the time of the transaction. For example, if you bought an item 12/31/17, the points would be earned for 2017 and any credit that you were hoping the purchase would accrue would be to 2017, even though the actual purchase would not post until your January 2018 statement.
On that statement, your reward points for the Dec, purchase would appear and this will be the actual awards points you have as of January. (always a statement behind).

So when I am trying to make a yearly minimum, I have until 12/31 to accrue for that year. At the same time, even if I spend $x in December and the statement doesn't;t come until January, I still have garnered nothing for the new year until I actually make the purchase in the new year.

MileageGoblin Jul 9, 2018 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29953825)
If you mean the points are earned when the transaction appears in your American Express online account, we disagree.

Here's an idea. One can just push up his/her big expenses and/or MS before your July close date, lock in the 3 to 1, and save all the time debating and speculating on what will happen! ;)

radonc1 Jul 9, 2018 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 29955055)
Here's an idea. One can just push up his/her big expenses and/or MS before your July close date, lock in the 3 to 1, and save all the time debating and speculating on what will happen! ;)

Exactly what I am doing. However, come 8/1, I will need to assess whether the free night is worth the $95. I stay a lot at Marriotts, less at SWs. However, $95 for a night in either is at a minimum a break-even deal.
So my question is whether i get 2 nights if I have a Marriott and a Starwood card (one from each)?

jk2 Aug 17, 2018 2:05 pm

did anybody get points when statement closed in August? It say I earned points (even multiplied by 3 because of conversion), but they never came to marriott account or spg account. it's been 10 days.

brc01 Aug 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by jk2 (Post 30094911)
did anybody get points when statement closed in August? It say I earned points (even multiplied by 3 because of conversion), but they never came to marriott account or spg account. it's been 10 days.

Points earned on statements closing Aug 1 - 18 will post a little after Aug 18. Not sure if it will be a few days after or a week or two.

jk2 Aug 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by brc01 (Post 30095008)
Points earned on statements closing Aug 1 - 18 will post a little after Aug 18. Not sure if it will be a few days after or a week or two.

thanks!