FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Are you getting rid of the SPG Card now? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1905893-you-getting-rid-spg-card-now.html)

wanalaugh74 Apr 24, 2018 4:10 pm

Are you getting rid of the SPG Card now?

I suck at math.. and im trying to figure out if it is worth keeping my 2 cards from SPG after the Marriott changes take effect. Especially now that GC.com is cutting off the cashback on VGC. Just wanted to see what the masses are doing. And has anyone done the math as to what it is valued at now? Thanks

sdsearch Apr 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74 (Post 29679793)
I suck at math.. and im trying to figure out if it is worth keeping my 2 cards from SPG after the Marriott changes take effect. Especially now that GC.com is cutting off the cashback on VGC. Just wanted to see what the masses are doing. And has anyone done the math as to what it is valued at now? Thanks

It depends on what you were using for.

If using it for hotel nights, it may or may not have lost much value, depending on how the new redemption chart works out.

But if you were only using it to transfer to airlines, that is definitely losing value, except for United, where the value is going up, because the redemption used to be 2:1 rather than 1:1 for SPG->UA, but there's no such discrimination (if anything, possibly the opposite discrimination) at Marriott, because Marriott has a partnership with United.

Different people use SPG points for different purposes, so there is no one valuation answer for everyone.

wanalaugh74 Apr 24, 2018 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 29679996)
It depends on what you were using for.

But if you were only using it to transfer to airlines, that is definitely losing value, except for United, where the value is going up, because the redemption used to be 2:1 rather than 1:1 for SPG->UA, but there's no such discrimination (if anything, possibly the opposite discrimination) at Marriott, because Marriott has a partnership with United.

Yea i was using it for hotels.. SPG and Marriott properties depending on the city. wow i didn't catch the SPG->UA update. I usually fly southwest bc of the hub but i will def have to look into this now. i guess it wont matter much if they decide to reject the CB on GCM.com too. Thanks for the input.

mia Apr 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Parallel discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...valuation.html

PaulMSN Apr 24, 2018 8:51 pm

I use it primarily for MS with transfers to AA at 20K points, so that makes it less valuable to me in the future, but a free night could be a useful thing. The annual fee is a little high, though.

reubenfairbird Apr 25, 2018 5:10 am

one of our SPG cards annual fee is due this month. That means I have to shell out $190.00 (this year and next) before I get a free anniversary night for 35,00 points which we have no idea what kind of Marriott that will get us. the rest of the cards fees are due after this 8.1.18 merger so we'll get anniversary night immediately. We are getting rid of the first one and take a wait and see on the other personal and business cards. Will not be putting any everyday spend on these anymore. devaluation for sure. Shame!

wanalaugh74 Apr 25, 2018 6:19 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 29680531)
I use it primarily for MS with transfers to AA at 20K points, so that makes it less valuable to me in the future, but a free night could be a useful thing. The annual fee is a little high, though.

I called yesterday to change a room type on a reservation i had coming up with Marriott. The CSR said 'you get a free night after the merger?' LOL

Originally Posted by reubenfairbird (Post 29681412)
one of our SPG cards annual fee is due this month. That means I have to shell out $190.00 (this year and next) before I get a free anniversary night for 35,00 points which we have no idea what kind of Marriott that will get us. the rest of the cards fees are due after this 8.1.18 merger so we'll get anniversary night immediately. We are getting rid of the first one and take a wait and see on the other personal and business cards. Will not be putting any everyday spend on these anymore. devaluation for sure. Shame!

We had our cards renew in January and I called their retention phone number and was able to get a little something for not closing my cards. It wasn't the $95 reimbursed but they gave me 10,000 points for $1k spend in a month.. I am curious what the value will be like after Aug 1.

cashcyclone Apr 25, 2018 6:40 am

GCM purchase last week didn’t earn any points for me. Anyone else?

wanalaugh74 Apr 25, 2018 6:45 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone (Post 29681662)
GCM purchase last week didn’t earn any points for me. Anyone else?

Where do you look/see that you didnt earn points? I just checked my statement and the GCM has posted for this cycle.

cashcyclone Apr 25, 2018 6:51 am

Originally Posted by wanalaugh74 (Post 29681674)
Where do you look/see that you didnt earn points? I just checked my statement and the GCM has posted for this cycle.

I’m checking new website where it shows points for each transaction posted. The transaction just posted to my account. Maybe points are delayed and post few days later. Will check tomorrow.

Edit: points showed up within 1-2 days after transaction posted and that's after 3 days of being a pending transaction.

DiMAn0684 Apr 25, 2018 9:22 am

I just got one in April and plan on putting my non-bonus spend on this card until August 1, when the new reward structure kicks in. It will then get sockdrawered and I'll have to decide whether free night is worth the AF.

craz Apr 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by reubenfairbird (Post 29681412)

For some folks it will be with the socks. But for $95 for a free night is still a decent deal, unless a person would stay at a Motel 6 for $55

Travelchurner Apr 26, 2018 11:08 am

Canceled mine recently.
AF was due, 30k spend within last 12 months.
Surprisingly, no retention offer given.

sdsearch Apr 26, 2018 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Travelchurner (Post 29686504)
Canceled mine recently.
AF was due, 30k spend within last 12 months.
Surprisingly, no retention offer given.

Did you call the special retention number (listed in the Amex thread on retentions)? I first called the regular number (on another Amex card) and got no offers, then several days later called the specific retention number and did get a choice of offers.

Travelchurner Apr 27, 2018 9:43 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 29687926)
Did you call the special retention number (listed in the Amex thread on retentions)? I first called the regular number (on another Amex card) and got no offers, then several days later called the specific retention number and did get a choice of offers.

Thanks, but I did call retention directly. Maybe I should have straight up asked for a retention. I did receive 10000 points last year to keep the card open.
I know others have been told they can only get a retention offer once every other year.