FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2018-24) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1887866-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases-2018-24-a.html)

msthegame Apr 9, 2021 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684 (Post 33165513)
$2k you got the pts for, were they in the single transaction?

Yes

dereck062 Apr 9, 2021 1:35 pm

Got 1 Red Ribbon MGC, (metabank). The Go Point didn't post on original receipt, CS supervisor has to print another printout to show 1500 Go Points. S&S app showed the point after logout & back in. (took about 15 minutes).

Anyone can hint me how to liquidate these cheaply? Thxsomuch

tuphat Apr 9, 2021 4:21 pm

Datapoint: Giant in Northern Virginia. Bought 2 $500 pink ribbon cards, posted properly to Giant Flexible Rewards, per app. Too bad they don't show this on the register receipt.

rdeppen Apr 9, 2021 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 33165903)
Datapoint: Giant in Northern Virginia. Bought 2 $500 pink ribbon cards, posted properly to Giant Flexible Rewards, per app. Too bad they don't show this on the register receipt.

If you add a food item to the cards when you’re checking out, you’ll see the Flex rewards info on the receipt.

iahphx Apr 9, 2021 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 33162135)
Please feel free to edit the Wiki when you find out of date information on it. It will benefit all of us (except me, who does not have any of the participating stores in my neck of the woods :o)

So this is the thing: there is ALWAYS a risk of "killing a deal." In this case, letting people know where they can redeem their points seems VERY low risk -- compared to the significant benefit of forum readers being able to use their points when they travel. I know there are always "greedy" people who will go to extreme measures and jeopardize things for everyone. But let's live in the real world. Selling gas in your hometown seems possible. Selling gas in obscure corners of the USA by somehow loading new S&S/Giant cards and selling them to people seems far-fetched. S&S seems to be limiting store purchases to $2000 now, so it would be difficult to buy enough cards to make this a real business. And then you'd have to have a way to liquidate tens of thousands of dollars of gift cards on a regular basis. And then you'd have to create new accounts for people, and somehow sell these accounts to random people across the country. How the heck would you do this in real life? Sure, it could happen, but it's HIGHLY improbable.

Meanwhile, as a real life person, I drive around the country a lot -- especially now since I can't really leave the USA. The app is bad in telling me where I can actually use my points. I'd like to know where I can. It could get me a free tank of gas every month or so. The same for other flyertalkers. I think the tiny risk is worth this significant benefit.

iahphx Apr 9, 2021 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 33166104)
So this is the thing: there is ALWAYS a risk of "killing a deal." In this case, letting people know where they can redeem their points seems VERY low risk -- compared to the significant benefit of forum readers being able to use their points when they travel. I know there are always "greedy" people who will go to extreme measures and jeopardize things for everyone. But let's live in the real world. Selling gas in your hometown seems possible. Selling gas in obscure corners of the USA by somehow loading new S&S/Giant cards and selling them to people seems far-fetched. S&S seems to be limiting store purchases to $2000 now, so it would be difficult to buy enough cards to make this a real business. And then you'd have to have a way to liquidate tens of thousands of dollars of gift cards on a regular basis. And then you'd have to create new accounts for people, and somehow sell these accounts to random people across the country. How the heck would you do this in real life? Sure, it could happen, but it's HIGHLY improbable.

Meanwhile, as a real life person, I drive around the country a lot -- especially now since I can't really leave the USA. The app is bad in telling me where I can actually use my points. I'd like to know where I can. It could get me a free tank of gas every month or so. The same for other flyertalkers. I think the tiny risk is worth this significant benefit.

Meanwhile, has anyone had any success redeeming points in the Mountain Time Zone or the Midwest? Through, the Fuel Rewards website (not the app), I found a station last summer in Montana that participated, but I've had no luck so far in AZ. NM, UT and CO. I haven't tried in the Midwest yet, but there's almost nothing listed on the website or app.

soy Apr 9, 2021 7:20 pm

DP for the S&S gang since that is where the 1x limit has been mentioned
Just bought 2x500's and 3k points posted as expected. As usual I included 1 grocery item to ensure points appeared on receipt at checkout.

Zepcro Apr 9, 2021 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by soy (Post 33166185)
DP for the S&S gang since that is where the 1x limit has been mentioned
Just bought 2x500's and 3k points posted as expected. As usual I included 1 grocery item to ensure points appeared on receipt at checkout.

I don't think many of us think the limit is 1 gc. The wording implies that the rewards only will work on the 1st transaction (ie up to 4 $500 gc) and not on subsequent purchases during the period. That's still to be determined.

creampiggy Apr 9, 2021 9:50 pm

My second purchase of GCs at S&S today did not get points at all. Did anyone have similar experience?

radonc1 Apr 10, 2021 5:07 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 33166112)
Meanwhile, has anyone had any success redeeming points in the Mountain Time Zone or the Midwest? Through, the Fuel Rewards website (not the app), I found a station last summer in Montana that participated, but I've had no luck so far in AZ. NM, UT and CO. I haven't tried in the Midwest yet, but there's almost nothing listed on the website or app.

Much of the Mid-West is a vast wasteland for more than just gas points :D

Probably why I like it here ;)

DiMAn0684 Apr 10, 2021 7:27 am

Originally Posted by creampiggy (Post 33166411)
My second purchase of GCs at S&S today did not get points at all. Did anyone have similar experience?

How big was the first purchase?

Prometheus77 Apr 10, 2021 7:56 am

Originally Posted by creampiggy (Post 33166411)

BAU for me.

Bigzamboni Apr 10, 2021 8:31 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 33166112)

They should work in the parts of the Midwest where Hy-Vee is present, at a minimum, since they also partner with FR.

iahphx Apr 10, 2021 9:11 am

Originally Posted by radonc1 (Post 33166819)
Much of the Mid-West is a vast wasteland for more than just gas points :D

Probably why I like it here ;)

There is definitely something to be said about living in less populated parts of the USA, especially when you're "driving around."

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni (Post 33167083)
They should work in the parts of the Midwest where Hy-Vee is present, at a minimum, since they also partner with FR.

But if Hy-Vee participates, doesn't that preempt the use of Giant points? Isn't that the problem of using Giant points in Kroger territory? What's frustrating about this thing is that there's supposedly an app that tells you where you can use your points, which should be very useful, but that app provides a lot of wrong information.

fzy Apr 10, 2021 9:14 am

stopandshop app seems down now, would it be any issues buying mgc or redeeming grocery points in store at this moment?