FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Safeway/Vons Master thread (2018 onwards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1887398-safeway-vons-master-thread-2018-onwards.html)

doggiefizzle Dec 3, 2019 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by mroseman13 (Post 31802091)
I got a $500 HD GC and idk if I can go use all 100 rewards without a car to fill up. I doubt there are 50 rewards worth of grocery redemption options per month.

Your best bet might be to try and get a VGC from HD with your GC you just got from Safeway. I’ve had mixed success, but the registers aren’t hard coded.

vodafone Dec 4, 2019 5:32 pm

There is a new J4U coupon for 2x gas points for your next shopping trip good till 12/10

Originally Posted by ElPresidente (Post 31802044)
Home Depot GC $150 = 3,000 FR points today
Seems the HD 10x and GC 10x promos stack.

doggiefizzle Dec 4, 2019 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente (Post 31802044)
Home Depot GC $150 = 3,000 FR points today
Seems the HD 10x and GC 10x promos stack.

lucky you! I bought a $50 HDGC today and only got the 10x. I was a little bit bummed I didn’t take part in the Happy promo that was giving $25 off $100 on a future trip that paired with the 10x instead last week.

doggiefizzle Dec 4, 2019 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle (Post 31806169)
lucky you! I bought a $50 HDGC today and only got the 10x. I was a little bit bummed I didn’t take part in the Happy promo that was giving $25 off $100 on a future trip that paired with the 10x instead last week.

Oh Jesus I’m an idiot! I didn’t expand the promo in the J4U app and missed I had to spend $150 in HD gift cards. Weak and very embarrassing!

diburning Dec 5, 2019 2:50 am

Just FYI, there was a document that came out saying that Blackhawk will now have cooldowns at all stores. This applies to the ENTIRE store, not just one register. The cooldown period begins once a gift card of a certain type is sold. If the limits are exceeded within the cooldown period, the gift cards will fail to activate (will return a DECLINED error during the activation phase) and will void the gift card.

Right now the Visa/MC/Amex GCs are not on the list. When I get a chance, I'll post the limits and cooldowns here (I skimmed the doc at work today). Most of the limits were $500 and most of the cooldowns were 15 minutes. Cards that I remember seeing on there were iTunes, Google Play, and Best Buy.

TalkingPoint Dec 5, 2019 4:21 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31807316)
Just FYI, there was a document that came out saying that Blackhawk will now have cooldowns at all stores. This applies to the ENTIRE store, not just one register. The cooldown period begins once a gift card of a certain type is sold. If the limits are exceeded within the cooldown period, the gift cards will fail to activate (will return a DECLINED error during the activation phase) and will void the gift card.

Right now the Visa/MC/Amex GCs are not on the list. When I get a chance, I'll post the limits and cooldowns here (I skimmed the doc at work today). Most of the limits were $500 and most of the cooldowns were 15 minutes. Cards that I remember seeing on there were iTunes, Google Play, and Best Buy.

Very interesting. It isn't in affect as of yesterday in the LA area.

danpeake Dec 5, 2019 7:40 am

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31807316)

Thanks for the update.

Would you describe what is meant by "cooldown"?

I'm guessing it's something like if a stores sells a $500 iTunes gift card, it will decline all iTunes gift cards purchased within the next X minutes?

And it seems rather odd/annoying that a gift card purchased within this period will decline to activate, presumably after the payment method has been approved.

diburning Dec 5, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake (Post 31807998)
I'm guessing it's something like if a stores sells a $500 iTunes gift card, it will decline all iTunes gift cards purchased within the next X minutes?

Yes. The instructions say to notify the customer about the cooldown and ask if they want to wait. If not, the customer can be refunded.

wyogold Dec 5, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 31809678)
Yes. The instructions say to notify the customer about the cooldown and ask if they want to wait. If not, the customer can be refunded.

This aint good. I cant spend the whole evening just to buy a few GCs. Hoping it won't be implemented where I go shopping ...

westlaker Dec 5, 2019 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by planetmans (Post 30966387)
So the way to really milk earning points on variable VGCs was to stack the $X off your $X purchase offers, and get cash back when you did not spend enough.

The following offers are available each month:

$10 off $10 - 7 rewards
$7 off $7 - 5 rewards
$5 off $5 - 4 rewards
$4 off $4 - 3 rewards
$2 off $2 - 2 rewards
$1 off $1 - 1 rewards

The total comes out to $29, and you need 22 rewards to redeem them all.

The second part comes into play with the department specific offers:

$7 off a $7 in the meat department - 4 rewards
$3 off $3 in the produce department - 2 rewards

To add all these offers you needed a total of 28 rewards.

So what you do is go to the meat department, dig through the meat packages and find one that was as close to $7 as possible, but not below, then go to the produce department and try to get as close to $3 worth of produce, but not below. By doing this, you trigger the $7 off $7 meat offer, and the $3 off $3 produce offer for a total of $10 off. Because the items in the purchase were over $10, it also triggered all of the $X off $X offers, for a total of $29 off. The total value of the money back offers is $39.

The transaction would have $10 worth of items, but $39 worth of credits. So you could get a maximum refund of $29 if you bought exactly $7 of meat and exactly $3 of produce.

Can you buy a $100 VGC with those rewards and only pay $71 plus the fees?

diburning Dec 5, 2019 7:39 pm

I can imagine this being a disaster at high volume stores when they run J4U deals on GCs.

doggiefizzle Dec 5, 2019 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker (Post 31810564)

No, gift cards (along with fluid dairy, booze, etc) are excluded from J4U point redemptions.

Bigzamboni Dec 5, 2019 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by westlaker (Post 31810564)

Yes, it works. If you buy $10 minimum of groceries the negative balance can br applied towards a GC.

ogg Dec 6, 2019 9:17 am

To be clear, both the above posts are correct. You can't redeem rewards to pay for a Visa/MC GC directly. But if you're handling rewards so that your grocery purchase should produce a cash refund, you can apply that to the cost of a Visa/MC GC. The alternative is getting the refund in cash, which confuses the cashiers and often results in a manager being called over.

westlaker Dec 6, 2019 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni (Post 31810983)
Yes, it works. If you buy $10 minimum of groceries the negative balance can br applied towards a GC.

Thanks. I will try tomorrow to see if it can stack with the $10 off VGC.