Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minimum
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I'll probably give Alex a call and see what terms he offers.

I looked at this state law (I am based in California):
https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/civil-c...t-1747-85.html

It looks like BoA violated state law by closing my account immediately without notice. I believe it is hard for BoA to argue that I pose a default risk to them so they need to give me 30 day written notice before closing my account. The closure caused me inability to redeem my points (monetary damage) so I think I have a case against them in court.

I'll probably sue them in SCC in California (and my SO can sue separately). Looks like I can sue for up to $10K which is adequate if I can get that much in the end.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Small Claim Court is a viable avenue. Though California system is a bit tough to navigate. You need to get familiar with the filing procedures in particular how to deliver your complaint. A friend did this several years ago against Citi. Took 2 tries and a total of 9 months (due to the first technical failure and refile) to get a check from Citi which dragged the payment ordered by Court for weeks until the friend sent their legal office a demand letter - the came FedEx the next day with the check.

Originally Posted by Mamibear
@minimum, read Vinh's experience with a different card company who closed all his accounts forfeiting >$2K CB from cycling his $35K CL 3x. He said he would ping Alex to recoup his hard earned CB; send him a message in his blog or tweet to find out if he did.
With Citi, it is different due to Citi has reached agreements with both Alex lawfirms (the other lawyer is Alexander Darr) that if complaints are thru these 2 law firms Citi will settle in a predetermined formula for each account closed in last 2 years.
The agreement was reached in March 2018.

So it is relatively easy to handle a Citi shutdown which also is not permanent like Barclays and BofA. It lasts 30 months or so. Yet Barclays and BofA seem to be lifetime. lol.

Try to find the other Alex on DoC blog if you might. He has written on DoC blog. You may find the contact there. Or google Alex Darr. It does not hurt to contact Darr to see what his opinion is on BofA.
Zgirl likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Yet Barclays and BofA seem to be lifetime. lol.
OK, I'm fine not doing business with BoA in the future. I have nothing to lose by suing them.

I'll reach out to Alex Darr and see what he thinks. Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minimum
OK, I'm fine not doing business with BoA in the future. I have nothing to lose by suing them.

I'll reach out to Alex Darr and see what he thinks. Thanks!
You should be able to find him just by googling his name. He has done a very good job helping those fight against Citi. Hopefully he would be able to help you.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Zgirl likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 13, 2018 at 4:47 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
With Citi, it is different due to Citi has reached agreements with both Alex lawfirms (the other lawyer is Alexander Darr) that if complaints are thru these 2 law firms Citi will settle in a predetermined formula for each account closed in last 2 years.
Sadly this isn't true. At least according to TPOL.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
What is TPOL?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
What is TPOL?
Apparently: https://thepointsoflife.boardingarea.com/about/
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
What is TPOL?
afaik TPOL is Alexander Bachuwa
ChrisFlyer66 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Cycling your credit by a factor of two when you have a 25,000 credit limit would put you in their cross hairs. Cycling $90k 4.5x, well.....
I cycled a $10k limit every three days for a few months until I got it increased to $25k..
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
The information is from the other Alexander who from what I have read, seems to be one's better option should you need such service. The agreement was reached in Mar 2018 - how long that agreement exists, I have no idea because I only read about this on non English site.

You can easily google the other Alexander and find his firm's website.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chelski

I cycled a $10k limit every three days for a few months until I got it increased to $25k..
I dont cycle dont want a shut down, but I do bring it up to the max. With the way Staples was going lately I was doing it fora few months, today an email from Chase that they are 2xing my CL, w/o me asking nor did I want it, but wont do anything least I stir up a hornets nest So from a fairly nice 5 figure CL its now thru the roof
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by craz
I dont cycle dont want a shut down, but I do bring it up to the max. With the way Staples was going lately I was doing it fora few months, today an email from Chase that they are 2xing my CL, w/o me asking nor did I want it, but wont do anything least I stir up a hornets nest So from a fairly nice 5 figure CL its now thru the roof
I've actually had to drop my CL across my chase accounts due to these automatic increases. They had me up to 150% of household income between three people in the household, with 85% of it all being in my name. I wasn't sure if it was more risky to have that much credit or to draw attention to it by asking for the decrease, but I went for the decrease.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Melanion90
I've actually had to drop my CL across my chase accounts due to these automatic increases. They had me up to 150% of household income between three people in the household, with 85% of it all being in my name. I wasn't sure if it was more risky to have that much credit or to draw attention to it by asking for the decrease, but I went for the decrease.
Does Chase look at issued credit across all accounts in a household to determine CL?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

New year = new thread.

Please continue the discussion here:

2019 Shutdown Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.