Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2018. The previous discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2018 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by NeGourmand
Did he do BP at all? BP is part of my plan to get platinum from SPG lux this year..
He never did BP, just occasional MOs...he thinks he was shut down because of the sharp increase in spending on those two SPG cards...but I personally think it was because of MOs...perhaps that put the eyes on his account, and then they could see the rest (Simon mall, GC.com and such)...neither great FICO nor high income nor long term relationship with Amx helped...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by devastitis

are you past 5/24?
going based off the credit check Chase provides and not actually pulling my credit report, the Citi would put me right at 5/24. I’ll drop back to 4/24 in like October or November though (and I am planning to close that account, an Amex Delta card, before then).
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by tjh8402

going based off the credit check Chase provides and not actually pulling my credit report, the Citi would put me right at 5/24. I’ll drop back to 4/24 in like October or November though (and I am planning to close that account, an Amex Delta card, before then).
do you have CSR/CSP/CIC/CIP?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by devastitis

do you have CSR/CSP/CIC/CIP?
Chase Freedom that I’ve had for probably 8 or 9 years at least and a CSP that I’ve had for almost 6. All of my other chase cards are co branded (amazon, UA, WN, and Marriott). I would like to upgrade to a CSR and get a Freedom Unlimited at some point but I’m not in a huge hurry for it. I’ve also had a Checking and Savings with Chase since they took over WAMU, but from what I’ve seen, those don’t seem to help your case much.

Last edited by tjh8402; Aug 30, 2018 at 6:40 am
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Well, whatever shut downs many here have suffered, it cannot be as bad as THIS ONE...

I commented today in a long post there that sadly does not take paragraph returns.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Well, whatever shut downs many here have suffered, it cannot be as bad as THIS ONE...

I commented today in a long post there that sadly does not take paragraph returns.
Was the clawback for those AUs with the same SSNs?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Was the clawback for those AUs with the same SSNs?
yes

and while some could argue this broke some level of terms and conditions my biggest question is this: if it was so big and so many people were doing it and MX decided to stop it then it almost makes you wonder why they let it go on so long and why they were so lazy to not look into this earlier. What I mean is, they aren’t in part responsible because they let it happen for so long and at such high levels

why were they even allowing people to get all those aus that way? Aren’t they at some level responsible for putting forth systems that work right? If so, then how can you fully fault all those who worked within said system?

I actually did no amex offers or had multiple au cards
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:11 pm

yes

and while some could argue this broke some level of terms and conditions my biggest question is this: if it was so big and so many people were doing it and MX decided to stop it then it almost makes you wonder why they let it go on so long and why they were so lazy to not look into this earlier. What I mean is, they aren’t in part responsible because they let it happen for so long and at such high levels

why were they even allowing people to get all those aus that way? Aren’t they at some level responsible for putting forth systems that work right? If so, then how can you fully fault all those who worked within said system?

I actually did no amex offers or had multiple au cards
While I'd be pretty upset if this has happened to me, it's pretty much guaranteed that every person who had added the same offer to multiple cards via different accounts / browsers trick and maxed out the benefits knew they were trying to get around AMEX T&C and system implementation. AMEX has obviously stepped up the enforcement of their T&C over the past several weeks, but IMO all this outrage is not justified.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
While I'd be pretty upset if this has happened to me, it's pretty much guaranteed that every person who had added the same offer to multiple cards via different accounts / browsers trick and maxed out the benefits knew they were trying to get around AMEX T&C and system implementation. AMEX has obviously stepped up the enforcement of their T&C over the past several weeks, but IMO all this outrage is not justified.
My plight has been this: If a CC company or any company makes up T&Cs, those are their rules. One could argue that if you break them then whatever you are doing can be voided. Maybe they let it go here or there, or maybe they miss it, or maybe they one day crack down. Sometimes for all things going forward, and sometimes, for everything pending and even going backwards too. How far is I guess up to them.

BUT… Are these T&Cs actual legal to even have in there?

And are they legal in YOUR state? –like, just because it says this or that in some agreement between you and the company, is that even allowed to be an agreed upon thing or a rule?

And will a judge or magistrate enforce them based on other criteria, evidence, intent from both sides if there is a disagreement regarding the use of such T&Cs?

Think about that one for a while.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:50 pm

The Staples Amex offer would appear on all business cards, as well as all personal cards through the /domorebusiness URL back in June, which was a URL Amex advertised in emails. You could have had 10 cards with them -- maybe 5 personal credit cards and 5 charge cards between personal and business variants, and added the offer on all of them, without any multi-tab trick if done in June. There was no need to make phony authorized users with the same SSN, as you can add the same individual as an AU to all 10 of your cards and they could add the offer there too. Amex did a terrible job if they really wanted to limit it to one per person. This would be like Office Depot clawing back all the people who got extra money off on MasterCard gift cards last week.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some could equate this to putting a giant liquor stores with specials and deals right next to a rehab center and having store sales people going inside to give vodka discount coupons to patients
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:01 pm

Some could equate this to putting a giant liquor stores with specials and deals right next to a rehab center and having store sales people going inside to give vodka discount coupons to patients
This is why cigarette ads aren't allowed on TV and they can't give away free cigarettes to college students anymore... But Amex can issue cards to 13-year-olds as authorized users.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can go buy a gun and ammo at walmart but if you want $3k in money orders they are gonna want your id and ssn and a form filled out and they still may deny you
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:09 pm

Even if Amx legally is in the right, morally it is in the wrong...with that and with all the recent shutdowns one begins to wonder if Amx is worth keeping...that RAT that they created might do them some good in the short term but a lot of damage in the long term...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.