Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible Amex crackdown on bonus MSR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Possible Amex crackdown on bonus MSR

Just joined to point out something I've seen going through a few websites such as Dr or Credit, Reddit, and now Flyertalk MS under Simon Mall thread. I'm no stranger to MS, I'm currently at around 20k a month MS across two SPG accounts during my runs home from work and waiting on GC.com orders, as I've been using them exclusively as of late.

I recently signed up for the SPG promotion to add AU's for 2500 SPG points after $1000 spend. My wife and I have an account each, added our two kids to each account, resulting in 4 AU cards. I purchased 2X$500 VGC from Kroger on three of the accounts, the last one I did 2X$500 at CVS. The bonuses from the three AU from Kroger purchases posted 4 days after the transaction posted, to my SPG account before statement cuts, as SPG bonus points normally do. However, the CVS transaction was done over two weeks ago, still no bonus posted.

I can't determine if the points will post via regular (non bonus) until the statement cuts, in about 3 days. Curious, I ran out and purchased 2x$500 at Kroger tonight on the AU card that made the CVS purchase, I'll report back next week if the bonus posts and if the non bonus (monthly spend accrual) matches points posted.

Again, I noticed this trend in the Simon Thread, comments on Dr of Credit SPG AU promotion thread, and Reddit, hoping this isn't a crackdown on ineligible bonus spend based on merchants. It would be even worse if it is also effecting regular spend on a monthly statement basis.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Drivesabrowntruck
Just joined
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Welcome to FlyerTalk
Thanks, my wife posts under here with another user name about the spending of points, I'm just the one that makes them. I've garnered lots of information over the years and thought I should give back on something that could help piece together something that would really effect a lot of churners ability to acquire VGC at spots that might no longer be viable.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, UR
Personally, I think Amex is on to something regarding those bonus promotions. I added 4 authorized users for my amex platinum card back in August. I put $500 on each of the four cards in the same day at two CVSs. I was suppose to get 4 x 5000 MR points. But I only got 5000 points after a few days. I did not want to call to alert AMEX about my purchases. But I really doubt the remaining points will ever post.

Back to the topic. I also added 4 spg authorized users around the end of August. And I fulfilled the spending requirements for 4 cards in two days at CVS. So I was hoping to get 10000 SPG in one shot. However, to my surprise, same thing happened again, only 2500 points posted to my account 3 days later. I waited for a few more days till my statement came out. No more bonus points added.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Musicalmind, do you have access to other places to purchase VGC and see if it will post under another merchant transaction? Granted, if it wasn't for the bonus, I'd stick to my GC.com orders, but for $1000, I just went back to Kroger/CVS to mix in with my GC.com liquidation runs.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:24 am

Are those targeted offers for SPG personal?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Are those targeted offers for SPG personal?
Yes, you can find links to the offer and sign in to your AMEX account to see if you are targeted. I never got the email, but was able to get the offer.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:45 am

I had the same experience with my SPG card. Purchased VGCs at Safeway for the 4 AUs. Bonus posted for just one of the cards. Interestingly I recieved all 4 bonues on my PRGs
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:41 pm

Now what i'm curious the most is... if my spg $30k spending will re-qualify me for Gold status...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I can definitively say that Amex Gift Cards have counted towards minimum spend in the past (several times), but now, they do not.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
"Possible Amex crackdown on bonus MSR"

Hey Amex RAT look over here

Is how the OPs' thread looks well meaning or not.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Of course. This is why we can't have nice things.

OP, You should know: Amex (and all the banks/card issuers) read every post here, every blog, every day. Your post, and the countless well-meaning but naive posts like them, only serve as a big, flashing, red sign that screams HEY AMEX, THIS IS HOW PEOPLE ARE SCREWING YOU!!! LOOK HERE FOR ALL THE DETAILS, THEN SHUT IT ALL DOWN!!!

The more you post about theses things, the more circles-and-arrows the blogs post, the faster every good thing goes away.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by misenlai
Now what i'm curious the most is... if my spg $30k spending will re-qualify me for Gold status...
Each stament shows your year to date progress.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: Several dozen
So true - instead of feeding our cheese to the RATs we should be taking the bell off the cat and unleashing the RAT terriers.

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
...The more you post about theses things, the more circles-and-arrows the blogs post, the faster every good thing goes away....
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:18 am

Deleted -- I answered my own question.

Last edited by TTT103; Sep 28, 2017 at 11:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.