Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charles Schwab account closed - Now what?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Can someone ELI5? MO=money order? How are you manufacturing spending with MO's?
you buy VGCs with your CC of choice. Use these DEBIT VGCs to pay for MO at grocery stores and USPS. There is emphasis on debit because most stores take ONLY cash and/or debit card for MO.

Read the newbie thread for manufactured spending, check the previous years as well since they still have a lot of info that are still useful to understand basic MS. Good luck!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:57 pm

Ok thanks for the tips. Yes I am new to this.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by zitsky
Ok thanks for the tips. Yes I am new to this.
Totally recommend just taking some time over the weekend and reading through a lot of the threads in this area of the forum. You'll see that there are many avenues one could pursue.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Would love to know how much OP has invested with Schwab. I have a rather large sum and invest and trade often.

I run about 30 to 50k a month in MOs with them and no issue but tend to invest MOs for a while before I suck them out.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:05 pm

I opened a couple business accounts several years ago for the express purpose of MS. Ran over 500k with the WF card before getting the "letter" about 5 months in. Never had a hint of problems depositing MOs thru atms or recently mobile aps and MS now.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:28 am

Just had my account closed. Used the account mainly for ATM free fee with draws. Deposited roughly 60k in mo in two years. Didn't do any investing. Any suggestions for a fee free ATM card US and international?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by briang191
Just had my account closed. Used the account mainly for ATM free fee with draws. Deposited roughly 60k in mo in two years. Didn't do any investing. Any suggestions for a fee free ATM card US and international?
Fidelity will waive fees with high enough deposit. Etrade will also waive certain fees if you throw big enough of a tantrum, although I would avoid them like the plague.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Fidelity will waive fees with high enough deposit. Etrade will also waive certain fees if you throw big enough of a tantrum, although I would avoid them like the plague.
this looks like the next best option

Capital One 360

https://www.capitalone.com/checking-accounts/online-checking-account/
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by gsxsilver
Fidelity cash management ATM is fee free and pays back all ATM charges. They will also through in a number of free trades (# fluctuates...right now it is 300 for a $50K deposit, 500 for a 100K deposit).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Fidelity cash management ATM is fee free and pays back all ATM charges. They will also through in a number of free trades (# fluctuates...right now it is 300 for a $50K deposit, 500 for a 100K deposit).
Fidelity carries a 1% foreign transaction fee.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:01 pm

If fee free ATMs are a major concern you should be using credit cards more.

Fidelity and Alliant are good choices though. Most banks will waive some amount of fees monthly if you maintain a moderate average daily balance in the 2-5k range.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by briang191
this looks like the next best option

Capital One 360

https://www.capitalone.com/checking-...cking-account/
A good choice! Not only can you withdraw money in local currency from Allpoint ATMs in Europe (mostly in the UK), it's a Mastercard which gives really good exchange rates, and there's no FTF or conversion fees.

On top of that, they do not charge ATM fees at foreign ATMs. I was able to pull Euros out of an ING ATM in Amsterdam with no fees and at a very good exchange rate.

Last edited by diburning; Jul 23, 2017 at 10:36 am
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, Star Alliance Gold, OneWorld Sapphire
Comment deleted

Last edited by MajoredinMiles; Jul 24, 2017 at 11:23 am Reason: Because
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by MajoredinMiles
Having worked at Schwab in fraud investigations, I have first hand knowledge of how our AML team determines when to close an account. We are a small bank and have become very sensitive over the years with the movement of money in and out. If you're depositing $50k per year in MOs, not using your account regularly and moving most of that money out, we are going to flag it and submit it for review. You may have better luck depositing MOs at your local advisory branch. They will deposit it into your brokerage account for you. Transfering the money from brokerage to bank will not be flagged as easily. Might I suggest just using the bank account as a primary account and finding another place for MS, like a local CU. Schwab accounts are not something you want to loose because you'll face another hard inquiry.
Great advice, thanks!

This is very valuable card for overseas travel, I'll keep it separate from MS activities.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by MajoredinMiles
Having worked at Schwab in fraud investigations, I have first hand knowledge of how our AML team determines when to close an account. We are a small bank and have become very sensitive over the years with the movement of money in and out. If you're depositing $50k per year in MOs, not using your account regularly and moving most of that money out, we are going to flag it and submit it for review. You may have better luck depositing MOs at your local advisory branch. They will deposit it into your brokerage account for you. Transfering the money from brokerage to bank will not be flagged as easily. Might I suggest just using the bank account as a primary account and finding another place for MS, like a local CU. Schwab accounts are not something you want to loose because you'll face another hard inquiry.
does Schwab ban for life?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.