Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Post on this topic before 2017 can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1520316-visa-gc-walmart-83.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/Walmart (2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:25 pm

What's WM policy on max amount when buying VGCs? 2k?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
I don't usually play the Walmart VGC game, but needed to do so this quarter for Freedom. Went to a store which apparently does not sell GD VGC on credit (apparently this is a store level decision), but I smiled at the cashier and inserted the card. Her supervisor made me take it out, but then said "it says Chase on it so it's debit." The cashier was perplexed why the screen still said credit, but the transaction was approved and no signature was required for a $500 card (which would have probably been a tip off).
Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:13 pm

Does it have to be a chip card for the transaction to go through when buying GDs?

I tried with Samsung Pay using my C1 card and transaction rejected because it ran as credit.

I wads able to buy 2 GDs yesterday with my Cjipped Freedom.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:05 pm

TLDR: Do not use Walmart Pay (and possibly all mobile payments) when paying for GD Walmart VGC. It will not work! (see 1st pic below)
Walmart Pay is not seen as Credit by the register. Just insert your CC into the chip card reader. As always YMMV.

--

@lumangoy , FWIW here's my experience with mobile payment - Walmart Pay

Here's what I got when I tried (twice on different registers) buying a GD vgc using Walmart Pay ~

A slight difference from when trying to buy a (possibly) non-GD vgc (paying with CC) ~

As you can see (1st pic), it's asking for either cash/debit/CREDIT mode of payment. Needless to say, Walmart Pay doesn't work for Walmart VGC purchases. *For all other purchases, it works.

I realized after I left that I should have just inserted my physical card (chip) when that little receipt printed! #smh I guess my mind went right into 'just leave and do not cause a scene' mode as I've seen some recent posts about walmart system updates in different areas. . Oh well, next time I'll just insert the card. I was trying to be coy on not showing which card I was paying with. #lolzfail

Last edited by mcRib; Dec 15, 2017 at 1:04 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:46 am

the only CC linked to my WMPay app is the WMSynchrony card which I tried for their advertised 6% CB on Black Friday while buying VGCs. It was rejected and the paper that printed asked for another form of payment. I just put the chipped card in and transaction went through. I found out from the rep that VGCs cannot be paid for using the WMPay app. I still got 2% CB using physical CC based on their promo.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:31 am

Do u have gift card instored your WMPay? Maybe it tries to use gift card.
Originally Posted by Mamibear
the only CC linked to my WMPay app is the WMSynchrony card which I tried for their advertised 6% CB on Black Friday while buying VGCs. It was rejected and the paper that printed asked for another form of payment. I just put the chipped card in and transaction went through. I found out from the rep that VGCs cannot be paid for using the WMPay app. I still got 2% CB using physical CC based on their promo.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by savingwizard
Do u have gift card instored your WMPay? Maybe it tries to use gift card.
NO, I don't save any WM gcs on the app since I want all charges to be put on my synchrony CC when I use WMPay. I've already gotten 2 statements and checked the CBs I got and all those where I bought non GC merchandise were computed at 6% on BF and 3% thereafter. I'm taking advantage of this 3% CB offer until 12/31. Hopefully, they come up with more offers so I can keep using WMapp for groceries. I also made it a habit to save the receipt to Savings catcher and I've gotten $2.xx saved when it found some items I bought cheaper at other stores near me.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA PLT, Club Carlson GLD, IHG Spire, Lifemiles GLD, Hilton Gold
Should Google Wallet work with Green dot VGCs? Mine says transaction declined. card is registered.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Today I take 5X 500 VGC to service desk, the cashier tells me, I don't think you can buy that many. I told her you can buy $10K if you wanted to with ID. She calls assist store manager, AM says, she doesn't know exact store policy and calls store manager. Store manager says, he can buy as much as he wants. He has been buying it for 2 years and if there was something Homeland would have caught it by now. It is amazing how everyone at Walmart have their own rules. AM then tells me you can buy as many as you want whether at POS or if you prefer at service desk. All of my heavy MS spending ends in a few days and they tell me this now.
Isochronous and hi55us like this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:51 pm

Whether to accept CC for VISA/MC GC at Walmart is up to individual store. But the POS is not hard coded. Its been this way for years now.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Today I take 5X 500 VGC to service desk, the cashier tells me, I don't think you can buy that many. I told her you can buy $10K if you wanted to with ID. She calls assist store manager, AM says, she doesn't know exact store policy and calls store manager. Store manager says, he can buy as much as he wants. He has been buying it for 2 years and if there was something Homeland would have caught it by now. It is amazing how everyone at Walmart have their own rules. AM then tells me you can buy as many as you want whether at POS or if you prefer at service desk. All of my heavy MS spending ends in a few days and they tell me this now.
Ya know, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something. You may as well have been wearing one of those flashing Kmart Blue-Light Special lights on your head. You have to consider what something LOOKS like, not just depend on the fact that somebody else said it was OK or someone else previously did it for you.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:38 pm

metabank vgc loading to gobank in wm was unsuccessful for a few days,giving
error code 75. Any one on the same boat?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by ray8888
metabank vgc loading to gobank in wm was unsuccessful for a few days,giving
error code 75. Any one on the same boat?
Mine didn't work yesterday, but I think I may have entered my PIN incorrectly. I'll try again tomorrow. I don't know what the code number was, but the cashier said "debit not available."
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: Various
No problems for me today.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 2:41 pm

Visa sunny from grocery store declined multiple times today at wm for gb load. same cards worked fine at service desk for 2 mo's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.