FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812413-simon-mall-gift-cards-2017-2018-a.html)

tadc Feb 6, 2017 12:25 am

Simon GCs temporarily unavailable for purchase

Walked into my local Simon (Woodburn OR) on Thursday and saw this:
http://i.imgur.com/jlVaXAlm.jpg

When I went upstairs to the office, they had a rack of packaged GCs but no way to sell them (yet).

(BTW that says February 8th).

macrophage Feb 6, 2017 7:54 am

Originally Posted by tadc (Post 27870917)
Walked into my local Simon (Woodburn OR) on Thursday and saw this:
http://i.imgur.com/jlVaXAlm.jpg

When I went upstairs to the office, they had a rack of packaged GCs but no way to sell them (yet).

(BTW that says February 8th).

Well I guess that's good news, no?

acarney Feb 6, 2017 10:58 am

Originally Posted by shipitkthx (Post 27867917)
Bought 8 5Backs yesterday and had to fill out a "gift card order form" which included such fields as "purpose of gift card purchase"...is this common for transactions > $3k? First time i've had to sign anything.

OMG, please tell me you just wrote "gift" and rolled your eyes to yourself! LOL

macrophage Feb 6, 2017 11:11 am

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 27872811)

I always write "MS or ML"

Some times for dry cleaning.

gw14 Feb 6, 2017 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by macrophage (Post 27871951)
Well I guess that's good news, no?

Not good news for me. Saturday, went to my SM and the guest service booth was completely taken apart. The terminal was moved to the management office and was not yet functioning. They said it would be up today 2/6.

By moving it to the management office it limits the time you can buy GCs. There was always someone at guest services when the mall was open and you were able to purchase GCs. Management office is only open M-F 10-6:30.

macrophage Feb 6, 2017 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by gw14 (Post 27873511)
Not good news for me. Saturday, went to my SM and the guest service booth was completely taken apart. The terminal was moved to the management office and was not yet functioning. They said it would be up today 2/6.

By moving it to the management office it limits the time you can buy GCs. There was always someone at guest services when the mall was open and you were able to purchase GCs. Management office is only open M-F 10-6:30.

OH! Sorry I misread!

I thought your local mall had BECOME a Simon mall via acquisition.

I guess now your mall's hours got limited and this is a negative change for sure.

DeltaNeutral28 Feb 6, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm sure this isn't relevant now, but I've had major issues with ordering Simon Five Back online. I ordered Jan 3rd with no arrival and called yesterday to cancel and start the refund process.

tadc Feb 6, 2017 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by gw14 (Post 27873511)

Hmm I didn't even think about that implication. :(

Well at least I'm not the only one.

Now if only I could get effing GCM to accept my order online...

Java Cool Dude Feb 6, 2017 2:11 pm

For those MSing in any kind of volume, 20k and up every month, aren't you scared of being reported by your banks to law enforcement?

shimps1 Feb 6, 2017 2:48 pm

Can a Simon FB card be used to load Serve, or do I have to go the WM MO route?

Madone59 Feb 6, 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude (Post 27873684)
For those MSing in any kind of volume, 20k and up every month, aren't you scared of being reported by your banks to law enforcement?

MS isn't breaking any laws. I have had this conversation at length with member of several agencies I work with. They don't care about us.

Originally Posted by omghaxcode (Post 27827013)
What are the hard and fast rules of Simon gift cards? I'm thinking about getting into MS for the first time since I live 5m walking distance to a Simon Mall now.

Don't buy more than you can float. You never know when you'll get stuck with them!

Amex For Children Of Africa Feb 6, 2017 3:15 pm

No

Chelski Feb 6, 2017 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 27872811)

I always write to wash dirty money so it appears clean in that "purpose" box

Chelski Feb 6, 2017 4:26 pm

No need to worry unless you are doing something illegal

Davyboyo Feb 6, 2017 5:53 pm

I have 1 Simon Mall in the area but after some research found that the Macerich Malls nearby have the exact same program with GCM. The cashier tells me over the weekend that there is one guy that comes in daily. Hopefully it will be 2 guys soon!

acarney Feb 9, 2017 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 27873885)
MS isn't breaking any laws. I have had this conversation at length with member of several agencies I work with. They don't care about us.

Don't buy more than you can float. You never know when you'll get stuck with them!

I've had the same question... while it's not illegal, I would still be worried that my bank would find it very curious that I was depositing $20k+ of money orders into my account... especially if I didn't have a small business account with the bank. I wouldn't be worried about going to jail or anything, but I would be worried about an investigation being opened. How come no one here seems to worry about that? (I figure even with all paperwork being saved and KNOWING it's legal, it's probably still a pain to be investigated)

Or do banks really not care? I worked as a teller for a national bank for six months or so as a second job and my teller manager would question large amounts of money orders being deposited on a routine basis without an explanation, especially if money was then withdrawn near the same amounts within a short (same day or one or two days later time frame).

Also, for money orders, how do you fill them out when it comes to TO/FROM? I can't imagine FROM *my name* to *my name* would fly by without extra questions. Is it ok to leave the from part blank? Would the raise questions?

I've been using my money orders to pay off bills but I'm running out of stuff to pay off and would still like to MS occasionally.

SoloExperiment Feb 9, 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 27889274)

Also, for money orders, how do you fill them out when it comes to TO/FROM? I can't imagine FROM *my name* to *my name* would fly by without extra questions. Is it ok to leave the from part blank? Would the raise questions?

I've been using my money orders to pay off bills but I'm running out of stuff to pay off and would still like to MS occasionally.

I have put my name as the "to" and then signed it front and back on over $100k and never been questioned over the last 8 months

Dealtimetn Feb 9, 2017 8:38 pm

I deposited one mo without fill in any to or from by mistake and bank took it, normally I make pay to my self or wife but never add purchaseser info.

FrankMS Feb 10, 2017 5:12 am

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 27889274)
I've had the same question... while it's not illegal, I would still be worried that my bank would find it very curious that I was depositing $20k+ of money orders into my account... especially if I didn't have a small business account with the bank. I wouldn't be worried about going to jail or anything, but I would be worried about an investigation being opened. How come no one here seems to worry about that? (I figure even with all paperwork being saved and KNOWING it's legal, it's probably still a pain to be investigated)

Or do banks really not care? I worked as a teller for a national bank for six months or so as a second job and my teller manager would question large amounts of money orders being deposited on a routine basis without an explanation, especially if money was then withdrawn near the same amounts within a short (same day or one or two days later time frame).

They do care. If you do it long enough, they will ask you what you're doing. Just be honest and have statements to back you up.

chef3543 Feb 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Has anyone had the experience of SM clerk saying that he/she needed to call to get pre-approval before processing your transaction? While we don't frequent SM often, we purchased $10,000 during the holidays when there wasn't a fee without a hitch. However, my SO and I went in this week to purchase 11 $500 FB cards, and it was just a weird experience. First, the clerk left desk to get manager approval, and then had to call some phone number to get "pre-approval" which seemed to be a new policy. They didn't seem to get that to work, and finally, after about 25 minutes, sold us the gift cards without pre-approval, whatever that means. Everything just felt very uncomfortable. We weren't doing anything wrong, at least, not to my knowledge, so I thought I would ask if anyone has any insight.

YoungBubbie Feb 10, 2017 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by chef3543 (Post 27893736)
Has anyone had the experience of SM clerk saying that he/she needed to call to get pre-approval before processing your transaction? While we don't frequent SM often, we purchased $10,000 during the holidays when there wasn't a fee without a hitch. However, my SO and I went in this week to purchase 11 $500 FB cards, and it was just a weird experience. First, the clerk left desk to get manager approval, and then had to call some phone number to get "pre-approval" which seemed to be a new policy. They didn't seem to get that to work, and finally, after about 25 minutes, sold us the gift cards without pre-approval, whatever that means. Everything just felt very uncomfortable. We weren't doing anything wrong, at least, not to my knowledge, so I thought I would ask if anyone has any insight.

I went in and bought 2 $500 cards. I had never bought there before so I had to fill out a form they kept in a book. She asked if I was registered at another Simon mall, called her supervisor and then sold me my cards.

chef3543 Feb 10, 2017 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie (Post 27893771)
I went in and bought 2 $500 cards. I had never bought there before so I had to fill out a form they kept in a book. She asked if I was registered at another Simon mall, called her supervisor and then sold me my cards.

hmmmm...this isn't exactly what I meant. I am familiar with filling out paperwork to purchase more than $3K, and we had to do that this time as well. However, these other manager approval and pre-approval steps seemed to be new. Anyone else?

YoungBubbie Feb 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by chef3543 (Post 27893794)
hmmmm...this isn't exactly what I meant. I am familiar with filling out paperwork to purchase more than $3K, and we had to do that this time as well. However, these other manager approval and pre-approval steps seemed to be new. Anyone else?

Yes I understand over $3,000 but I only bought $1000. Also she checked my drivers license.

Amex For Children Of Africa Feb 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by chef3543 (Post 27893736)

There's one Simon by me that if I but 2+ giftcards they do call that number, and then ask for my credit card and it seems like they are typing in my credit card number into the phone. I stopped going there because other Simons just have me fill the form and I'm out. That phone process is dragged out and irritating.

Happy Feb 11, 2017 12:18 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie (Post 27893807)
Yes I understand over $3,000 but I only bought $1000. Also she checked my drivers license.

Mall Specific.
We only go to one mall in more than 2 years. They require form for $1K and up. To this date the CSR still makes the gesture to check our DLs against the CCs, and then the CCs against the printed receipts.

I understand they do this because they are under CCTV - if they do not follow the procedures being told, they could get in trouble. It does not matter they "know" us for 2 more years and the usual amount we buy and we can even call in our orders though we prefer to just show up at our preferred time - and they dont mind to rerun our cards should the "card malfunction" happened - that itself is against the policy but they make this exception. Yet they still go thru the motion of checking, just so they have the look of following all procedures. Not a problem for us.

236Dakota Feb 11, 2017 8:18 am

New one yesterday:
While filling out the form for a $2,500 purchase.
"And you are buying these for miles and points?"
"What!"
"We have to ask in case we get audited, are you buying these for miles and points?"
"What are miles and points?"
"For spending."
"No, I am buying these for gift cards."
"OK"

littlewinglet Feb 11, 2017 8:57 am

Originally Posted by 236Dakota (Post 27895267)
New one yesterday:
"What!"
"We have to ask in case we get audited, are you buying these for miles and points?"
"For spending."
"OK"

Sir, are you a gamer?

Chelski Feb 11, 2017 8:58 am

Originally Posted by SoloExperiment (Post 27889602)
I have put my name as the "to" and then signed it front and back on over $100k and never been questioned over the last 8 months

Small peanuts

FrankMS Feb 11, 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet (Post 27895392)
Sir, are you a gamer?

"Budget tool"

Majuki Feb 11, 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS (Post 27895542)
"Budget tool"

I haven't bought at Simon for awhile, but I would always write "Personal use" for the reason. The staff at the local mall all knew it was the miles and points crowd coming in to purchase.

dr_sharp Feb 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by 236Dakota (Post 27895267)
New one yesterday:
"What!"
"For spending."
"OK"

From another thread, "These gift cards are for dry cleaning"

macrophage Feb 11, 2017 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by dr_sharp (Post 27896381)
From another thread, "These gift cards are for dry cleaning"

Same Thread :)

Originally Posted by macrophage (Post 27872854)
I always write "MS or ML"

Some times for dry cleaning.

dr_sharp Feb 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by macrophage (Post 27897120)
Same Thread :)

Haha, sorry couldn't remember which thread. Either way, I can't wait to fill out one of these forms so I can give that response ^:)

Travelz Feb 12, 2017 12:29 pm

Can you use Am3x gc to buy at Simon? They are on sale at OM/OD this week.

danhouston Feb 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Travelz (Post 27899459)
Can you use Am3x gc to buy at Simon? They are on sale at OM/OD this week.

won't allow if seeing it

CWAL Feb 12, 2017 3:07 pm

It's fairly well known that Simon/BHN is aware and okay with what we are doing.

Why do we all still feel the need to claim 'budget tool' or whatever instead of 'points' or 'gaming'?

PaulMSN Feb 13, 2017 12:36 am

Originally Posted by CWAL (Post 27900041)
It's fairly well known that Simon/BHN is aware and okay with what we are doing.

Why do we all still feel the need to claim 'budget tool' or whatever instead of 'points' or 'gaming'?

The line on the form has to be filled out, and that is what the Simon Mall people suggested I put in when I started doing this years ago.

shitrus Feb 13, 2017 7:34 am

I just write "Miles and Points"

LiekJoo Feb 13, 2017 5:42 pm

How do you guys liquidate your simon mall gift cards since the PO won't take GC issued by Metabank? Does Walmart take them?

macrophage Feb 13, 2017 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by LiekJoo (Post 27905248)
How do you guys liquidate your simon mall gift cards since the PO won't take GC issued by Metabank? Does Walmart take them?

You will need to go try it yourself at your local stores - it is different for everyone depending on individual store policies. Some will be super nice, while others will call the cops on you (true story).