Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Curve card is a "debit" card or "spend" card that you can use at stores and where you can use debit card for purchases. It is not funded by the bank with cash deposit, but funded by a collection of other debit cards and credit cards. You can't withdraw cash from ATM since it is not backed by the bank.

It carries MasterCard logo and can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted.

Curve Card is offered in the United Kingdom and selected European countries. Not currently available in the US.
Print Wikipost

curve card changes.

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 3:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Good result. My experience is they don't answer phones (option 1 cancel card, option 2 anything else, please see website) and emails haven't been replied to. Unlucky me.

I agree the concept is good, and I like the product when it works.

On another positive note, today a declined transaction (boo) but it didn't charge to Amex (yey).
Old May 3, 2016, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by rjn21
3 pre-authorisations, where a curve card was used, have matured into full charges on my Amex, even where a proper final charge has been correctly and additionally charged. 2 are very small, 1 less so. More disputing with Amex ahead today for me.

At some point perhaps Amex will become disinterested in dealing with the quantity of errors the curve card generates.

As long as you reconcile every transaction from the app with receipts, you can keep an eye on what's going on, and dispute as needed. I suspect it's a technology fail with some pre-auths being treated as purchases, but a faff to deal with.
I would steer clear of going to amex every time. Its a sure fire way of getting Amex to stop supporting Curve.

At least give curve a few days to credit the money back.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:42 am

Getting quiet fed up with Curve's customer service or lack of it! Emailed them about a number of problems I'd had on Tuesday morning, still no reply. No phone number to call them on. Not cool
Old May 6, 2016, 1:07 pm
cjt

Originally Posted by mr_moon
Getting quiet fed up with Curve's customer service or lack of it! Emailed them about a number of problems I'd had on Tuesday morning, still no reply. No phone number to call them on. Not cool
Try facebook. In my experience they're pretty responsive on there
Old May 11, 2016, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by cjt
Try facebook. In my experience they're pretty responsive on there
Hi, thanks for the tip. I've tried Facebook but sadly no joy there either. I've emailed 3 times now and still nothing. I can only see Curve failing and failing very soon if this is how they believe customer service should be run.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
I use Amex to dispute transactions, having for each problematic transaction first called Curve (always no answer, just "see the website") and emailed (never received a response). I'm at 12 transaction disputes now. I think Amex charge them £20 (?) a time for valid disputes. I have no desire for Curve to keep incurring such costs, but I haven't found another way to get a refund that works. Hopefully the platform becomes more stable over time, as I like the product (but without the problems).
Old May 11, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: OW Saphire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by mr_moon
I was under the impression that the Curve Card was meant to be classed as a Debit Card? It's no use if I'm going to be charged 2% extra for using it!
Curve is a Commercial Prepaid MasterCard (an entity in its own right) - its not a debit card, and costs far more for the merchant to process. Hence its unlikely to be seen as a debit card anywhere.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:32 am

anyone else been charged twice for transactions on 9 May? Any luck having them refunded?
Old May 12, 2016, 1:52 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rams1981
anyone else been charged twice for transactions on 9 May? Any luck having them refunded?
Haven't had the problem myself but got this email from them yesterday:

Curve Update: Amex duplicate charges: May 9th
We’ve had reports that on May 9th some of you have been charged twice when using your Amex with Curve.

After a thorough check of our systems, we believe that the duplicate transactions have resulted from an error somewhere between our acquirer, who has been informed of the problem, and Amex themselves.

We’re working closely with them to understand what has happened - please don’t worry if you have been double charged - you will receive a refund.

We will keep you updated regularly as they work to fix the issue.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:42 am

Yeah, I had my three transactions for May 9th duplicated (I had received the Curve email, so was forewarned).

I love the idea of Curve in general, and I hope it can survive, but the level of issues that we have already seen (not to mention backtracking on some of its main features), has me hovering over the refund button.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by dickieducker
Yeah, I had my three transactions for May 9th duplicated (I had received the Curve email, so was forewarned).

I love the idea of Curve in general, and I hope it can survive, but the level of issues that we have already seen (not to mention backtracking on some of its main features), has me hovering over the refund button.
They need to sort their customer service out and fast. As things stand they're just a total joke. So far it's proved impossible to get any response from them. How on earth would you even go about getting a refund when they ignore emails and have no telephone support?
Old May 12, 2016, 1:28 pm

Only spent under £10 on the 9th and had that duplicated if it was a large amount say £1000 I would be very annoyed.

Its been ok so far but I have had to phone my credit card to get them to approve the transactions from Curve at least 3 times for the same card :/
Old May 12, 2016, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by smala01
Curve is a Commercial Prepaid MasterCard (an entity in its own right) - its not a debit card, and costs far more for the merchant to process. Hence its unlikely to be seen as a debit card anywhere.
Yes basically taking advantage of the merchant allowing commercial cards, I am sure if Curve gets big enough some merchants will start blocking these cards.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:17 am

I had a £500 duplicated on 9th May with Amex. I have had two responses saying it will be sorted soon. I am sticking with them for the moment as I like the concept of the card but if I get much more I will cancel.
Old May 15, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, hh Diamond, IHG spire Ambassador
I had 1 charge duplicated, for a small amount the day after I had to provide ID verification to curve, for both me and my wife's card. 2 transactions for the same amount within 4 mins seems to have been the trigger. However I had used this site before and HSBC had blocked an initial payment due to fraud issues.
I contacted them about the duplicate transaction and then received the email.
I had a problem initially with some larger payments, however since that issue I've kept the payments under £500 per transaction and not had any problems since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.