FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1741096-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases-2016-17-a.html)

ktm19 Jan 12, 2016 6:48 am

Does anyone know if debit cards auto drain at S&S? Searched the thread and saw only one post about this, so just wanted to confirm.

ntr91 Jan 12, 2016 8:46 am

Originally Posted by ktm19 (Post 26004933)
Does anyone know if debit cards auto drain at S&S? Searched the thread and saw only one post about this, so just wanted to confirm.

If you use them as "credit", yes. If you use as "debit", no.

riphamilton Jan 12, 2016 10:04 am

Originally Posted by ktm19 (Post 26004933)
Does anyone know if debit cards auto drain at S&S?

i feel like an idiot not knowing this, but i'm assuming "auto drain" refers to when your total at the register is larger than the remaining funds on your card - the register will automatically max out the remaining balance on the card, and then prompt for remaining payment?

CWAL Jan 12, 2016 10:23 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton (Post 26005908)
i feel like an idiot not knowing this, but i'm assuming "auto drain" refers to when your total at the register is larger than the remaining funds on your card - the register will automatically max out the remaining balance on the card, and then prompt for remaining payment?

Correct.

I have found that *sometimes* debit will auto drain if the difference is small, e.g., register tries to debit $5, card only has $3.

ktm19 Jan 12, 2016 11:01 am

Originally Posted by ntr91 (Post 26005504)
If you use them as "credit", yes. If you use as "debit", no.

Ahh ok, thanks. Found out for myself today, before seeing this post, that they do not auto drain when selecting debit.

iahphx Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn (Post 26001555)
Looks like ebay 5X this week.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about loading them to your Bluebird account. :)

Ebay would be a great deal, if it hadn't been so easy for flyertalkers to "buy" ebay money at a deep discount this past year. But if you've used that up, or want more, $400 in ebay GCs can get you 35 gallons of free gas. A good deal, and one you can even share with "normal" friends.

Chelski Jan 12, 2016 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 26008329)
Well, at least you don't have to worry about loading them to your Bluebird account. :)

Ebay would be a great deal, if it hadn't been so easy for flyertalkers to "buy" ebay money at a deep discount this past year. But if you've used that up, or want more, $400 in ebay GCs can get you 35 gallons of free gas. A good deal, and one you can even share with "normal" friends.

These wouldn't be bad for anyone looking to get a special gas can/pump. Although there's no reason to get a motorized pump.

Olly- Jan 13, 2016 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by JJLeahy47 (Post 25963908)
1) Has anyone gone on a road trip and used the discounted gas in different states? How far did it work from your home base? Is it in the S&S vs Giant region? I found a little bit of data in this thread earlier but nothing too firm.

I used my S&S gas discount at a Shell in RI last November.

Chelski Jan 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Anyone seeing any GCs for Jan 22? It looks like a bad scan on livingrich this week or none avail coming Friday.

Rooks Jan 19, 2016 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski (Post 26045986)
Anyone seeing any GCs for Jan 22? It looks like a bad scan on livingrich this week or none avail coming Friday.

Only thing I saw with gift cards was buy a 20 pack of Coke and a $25 gift card to participating locations and get $5 off. Saw the same scan as you though.

heyeaglefn Jan 19, 2016 6:03 pm

Same with Giant PA, nothing this week.

Rooks Jan 21, 2016 5:39 am

I bought $1000 in eBay GC as Giant yesterday, forgot to scan my bonus card, so they credited 5,000 points to my account. I went to another Giant and bought $950 in eBay GC and received 6,250 gas points, which is 1,500 more than I should have received. The receipt said that I received 4,750 bonus extra rewards points, then in my points summary it said, "Earned this visit: 6,250. Total Points: 11,250". I'll take it but I wonder if that was just a glitch at that store or would have I gotten more had they scanned my card at the first Giant too? I did buy some VGC's but there's no points for that.

JJLeahy47 Jan 22, 2016 4:29 pm

New S&S app looks like a much better design

ChrisFlyer66 Jan 22, 2016 4:50 pm

thread closure

This thread is being closed so that a new thread can be created for 2016.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...es-2016-a.html

VandyBDL Jan 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Stolen eBay cards

I purchased $1,500 in eBay gift cards on Thursday and they were stolen out of my car in my driveway. Not a good idea, I know. They also took the activation slips. I have the receipt. Any suggestions on what to do here? I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and see if they can reprint the activation slips.