Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Always Thinking Like a Flyertalker

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by WellsDakota
It sounds like some of you doubt my friend's method. That's okay. For those of you interested in trying it, here are some tips:

Try to find a gas station with an absentee owner who doesn't check in very often.

When you first arrive stop inside and say hi to the employees. Tell them you're the volunteer from the local (insert local charity name here) to help out with the gas. You might explain that although you're primarily there to help old ladies and handicapped customers, if it gets slow you'll help everyone pump gas because that makes your day go faster. It help if the you find younger people working the register as they're less likely to question this.

Someone asked about fraud alerts, but that's just silly. I'd think by now most people here have more than two or three credit cards so if you bring them all with you that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, a good idea to carry pepper spray, just in case.

Really, the easiest way to do this is if you live in New Jersey. Then just figure out the name of the employee who has the day off and say you're there to fill in for Randy (or whoever) and you'll take every other car.

Good luck!
This is in itself a FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY. You will get arrested for what this person just posted. Do not, i repeat, DO NOT do this. You will definitely get arrested if you get caught.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by Membersince2013
This is in itself a FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY. You will get arrested for what this person just posted. Do not, i repeat, DO NOT do this. You will definitely get arrested if you get caught.
+1 this is getting deep,even for me lol
I suggest rather than risk it, just stand next to the gas pump, and feed the occasional blue or red bird
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:37 pm

It sounds like some of you doubt my friend's method. That's okay....
Why participate in standard MS when you can instead do a form that is...
1. deceitful
2. illegal
3. more likely to get you caught by the authorities
4. more likely to get you caught by your credit card company
5. inefficient

?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Why participate in standard MS when you can instead do a form that is...
1. deceitful
2. illegal
5. inefficient

?
You forgot the last two steps:
1. deceitful
2. illegal
5. inefficient
6. ?
7. PROFIT!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:48 am

It sounds like some of you doubt my friend's method. That's okay. For those of you interested in trying it, here are some tips:

Try to find a gas station with an absentee owner who doesn't check in very often.

When you first arrive stop inside and say hi to the employees. Tell them you're the volunteer from the local (insert local charity name here) to help out with the gas. You might explain that although you're primarily there to help old ladies and handicapped customers, if it gets slow you'll help everyone pump gas because that makes your day go faster. It help if the you find younger people working the register as they're less likely to question this.

Someone asked about fraud alerts, but that's just silly. I'd think by now most people here have more than two or three credit cards so if you bring them all with you that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, a good idea to carry pepper spray, just in case.

Really, the easiest way to do this is if you live in New Jersey. Then just figure out the name of the employee who has the day off and say you're there to fill in for Randy (or whoever) and you'll take every other car.

Good luck!
this would sit well for those who are comfortable with lying.

To make this work, one has to take 2 or more CCs they can alternately swipe? While some may be good at juggling CCs successfully, there'll be many who will mess up with this. Regarding those who will pay with cash and MSer will take their cash and swipe their own card, I can just imagine them bring a sack of cash and coins to give change? I'd be so impress with anyone who can do this while pumping gas for others. But if they enjoy it, why not, right?

It still boils down to getting permission from the gas station owner and if they say NO, the end. If they say YES, there's no need to lie and misrepresent oneself. But one has to be careful with swiping their own cards for the cash given to them and hopefully, they don't make mistakes giving exact change. OR else, they're giving free service and free gas to people
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:55 am

Its amazing how many people believe what they read on the internet.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
Its amazing how many people believe what they read on the internet.
Yes, but it does make for some pretty good entertainment. I haven't had this much fun since the Cracker Barrel thread.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyb45
Yes, but it does make for some pretty good entertainment. I haven't had this much fun since the Cracker Barrel thread.
+1 however, it's not good to "cry wolf" per say, This is a reliable source of "information" and ideas,let's try and keep it that way.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I was in my Fundamentals of Income Taxation class today and we were talking about one of the fringe benefits employees receive where money given to them is not income. The specific example was your employer gives you $150 to buy a new printer and as long as you give your employer the change, the printer is for business purposes and it's verified that you actually bought it, the money you briefly were given is not income.

After class I asked "what if I bought the printer with a mileage earning credit card, deposited the cash and paid off the card, is that still okay?". I had to first convince the Professor this was not a form of embezzlement (she had no idea what MS) was but eventually she saw it from my perspective and said that was okay too. Hooray!
Aside from the lunacy of the gas pumping idea....(this would get you shot in Oakland...and arrested in SF)...

I do this all the time...

I am traveling for work the next month...
My hotel goes on my Marriott card...
My Airfare goes on the United Card...

I earn points for every purchase and I am reimbursed for it.

I don't really see the "news" here....

And what employer gives an employee cash ?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyb45
Link to Cracker Barrel thread please
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
That's kind of a stupid reason to fire someone in my opinion. I know, processing fees are involved,but in my opinion, the store had an equal chance of using their card ,and that would be ok, but yet when the customer pays cash , they don't card either way how the bills get paid, but you get picked up the rewards that low credit/non savvy customer left on the table etc.... I heard about this kind of thing also on here, but instead of BAR employees... What's the big deal? Why the double standard? I say, cost of doing business, no matter who does it, either a credit card paying customer, or a savby employee who assists a cash paying customer, all should be classified as a cost of doing business type of thing,in my opinion
Whaaa? Cost of doing business? What this employee did is no different from taking the customer's $50 in cash, putting $49 in the till, and pocketing the last $1. The customer had already decided to pay cash, so it's not an issue of "employee's card or customer's card." It's an issue of the store getting 100% of the customer's payment, or 97-98% of the payment.

The employee was stealing from the store, just as certainly as if he was taking cash out of the till.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Whaaa? Cost of doing business? What this employee did is no different from taking the customer's $50 in cash, putting $49 in the till, and pocketing the last $1. The customer had already decided to pay cash, so it's not an issue of "employee's card or customer's card." It's an issue of the store getting 100% of the customer's payment, or 97-98% of the payment.

The employee was stealing from the store, just as certainly as if he was taking cash out of the till.
I respectfully disagree..
let's compare apples to apples and not apple to another half eaten apple
what we are trying to do here is , salvage the points that a potential cash paying customer leaves behind by not knowing or caring about credit card rewards.. Regardless, the bill would get settled in ful either way...
The bigger issue here, is that shop and restaurant owners are just cheap. They will let the "customer" pay with what ever form of payment they choose, without a fee, but yet would fire a savy employee who takes cash from the cash paying customer,and swipes their own credit card, picking up the unused rewards potential that the cash paying customer could care less about, but that you could really use. (comes back to the real world idea of reduce, reuse , recycle)
Its all about perspective , and being able to assess what would be appropriate to do in certain situations vs orders... This is exactly the reason why some people don't like to MS in general, while I see nothing wrong with it. I look at it as a way to actual receive what credit card companies promise you when you sign up for a airline credit card. (instead of just wasting money and "hoping" to get a free flight one day, if you are lucky...(i don't like false promises)

Last edited by rgAAFT; Feb 3, 2015 at 9:25 pm
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
And what employer gives an employee cash ?
I've had several employers in several lines of work give me money for purchases. Sometimes small ones like coffee or doughnuts for the office but other times larger ones. Some places I've worked at found it easier to take money out of petty cash then voucher it for items.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:33 am

I respectfully disagree..
what we are trying to do here is , salvage the points that a potential cash paying customer leaves behind by not knowing or caring about credit card rewards.. Regardless, the bill would get settled in ful either way...
The bigger issue here, is that shop and restaurant owners are just cheap. They will let the "customer" pay with what ever form of payment they choose, without a fee, but yet would fire a savy employee who takes cash from the cash paying customer,and swipes their own credit card, picking up the unused rewards potential that the cash paying customer could care less about, but that you could really use. (comes back to the real world idea of reduce, reuse , recycle)
Its all about perspective , and being able to assess what would be appropriate to do in certain situations vs orders... This is exactly the reason why some people don't like to MS in general, while I see nothing wrong with it. I look at it as a way to actual receive what credit card companies promise you when you sign up for a airline credit card. (instead of just wasting money and "hoping" to get a free flight one day, if you are lucky...(i don't like false promises)
If the employer gives permission to their employee this is fine, there should be no problem. But if an employee does this 'under cover' they probably know it goes against the rules or why hide it? It doesn't matter if they're not stealing, they shouldn't be doing THEIR own personal business while doing their job. Therefore, if they get fired for being 'street-smart and savvy' to earn points/miles/CB, (they're doing this at the employer's expense, whether they admit it or not) the employer will likely win a lawsuit if they are sued for unjustified/illegal termination.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:09 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

You do realize that the employer has to pay for these credit card rewards, right? Banks charge money for processing credit cards. The reason businesses accept credit cards is to increase sales. If a customer was going to pay in cash, then the sale is already done. Why should an employer pay extra to process the card transaction? Businesses count on a certain percentage of their transactions being paid by credit card, and if that percentage goes up, they lose money.

This isn't about perspective. An employee engaging in the activity you describe would be committing theft, plain and simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.