Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
just to let you know, I wasn't referring to you as one of those who keep on asking the same question(s) over and over and whines if they do not get the answer they want to read. Some may be a little slow (or maybe English isn't their first language) but when they also have an attitude of wanting to get the answers immediately, that is when these people get to be ignored. I think you're one of the newbies who read and try to help others as well. You'll be a pro in no time
No worries. I didn't take it that way. You seem very cordial and professional.

I knew better than to not search or to post some things I have recently.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by TMM1982
If we try to swipe with aisle cashier, is there any chance they will tell us to go to money center cashier?
Yes, it happens sometimes. Sometimes the aisle cashiers don't know how to load Bluebird/Serve, or simply don't want to.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Didn't see the Bluebird thread in the most recent 5-6 pages. Quick question: For purposes of the $2,500 per day and $5,000 per month debit card loads, how are "day" and "month" defined?

Can you load $2,500 at 11:00 PM and then another $2,500 at 1:00 AM, or does there need to be 24 hours in between? Likewise, does a month run from calendar day to calendar day (Dec. 21 to Jan. 21) or is it a ~30-day rolling period?

Thanks very much.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Didn't see the Bluebird thread in the most recent 5-6 pages. Quick question: For purposes of the $2,500 per day and $5,000 per month debit card loads, how are "day" and "month" defined?

Can you load $2,500 at 11:00 PM and then another $2,500 at 1:00 AM, or does there need to be 24 hours in between? Likewise, does a month run from calendar day to calendar day (Dec. 21 to Jan. 21) or is it a ~30-day rolling period?

Thanks very much.
On the first page

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1501215-bluebird-prepaid-debit-now-fdic-insurance-paper-checks-2015-a.html
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Thanks. Not sure how I missed it.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:48 am

Visa GC>Serve ?

I hope someone might be able to shed some light as I am new to MS.
I want to enroll for this card and want to know what would be the best way to spend the 3k with minimal out of pocket expense.
I also want to open one for my wife and mom as well, so how would I be able to do the spending on their cards.

1. Purchase Visa gift card (NON-VANILLA)
2. Load VGCs to SERVE
3. Pay Marriott bill with SERVE account

Would that be correct?
If so, would I be able to purchase VGCs online instead of in person so I can use wifes and moms card without them present?
Are there any limitations to how many VGCs I can buy at a time?
What would be the best place to purchased VGCs?
What is preferred to MS, BlueBird or Serve? I had BB before but closed it a while back to go with Serve, but never had the opportunity to use either of the two which is why I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly in order to get the points without getting screwed lol

Please advise.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:32 am

my first suggestion is ~ don't bite more than you can chew when you're just starting.

make sure you know how to play the game with just one Serve/BB card before applying for more cards to manage. if you keep on reading, you'll understand why.

MS game is very volatile these days, one avenue can possibly shutdown overnight so you have to spend time reading updates DAILY, if you want to stay in this game.

your plan mentioned above is correct in theory, see how you can implement it successfully. purchasing VGCs online has its own set of challenges, more often you'll be limited up to certain amounts plus hit with exhorbitant purchase fees not including shipping, that will minimize your profits.

for me, best place to buy is your local grocery stores/drugstores. you have to invest a lot of time finding out what VGCs they sell, if they accept CC and how many they will sell at a time.

Serve/BB are both useful MS tools if you know how to utilize them to the max.

last, but not the least, you have to spend quite some time reading about various techniques and strategies, there are no shortcuts to this. once you have the idea, start buying low face value GCs like $25 and load it to your card to have experience on ease/difficulty of loading.

Resist the urge to bite more than you chew or you might choke and croak. MSing can be fun and profitable if you know what you're doing. Good luck!
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:29 am

Thumbs up

my first suggestion is ~ don't bite more than you can chew when you're just starting.

make sure you know how to play the game with just one Serve/BB card before applying for more cards to manage. if you keep on reading, you'll understand why.

MS game is very volatile these days, one avenue can possibly shutdown overnight so you have to spend time reading updates DAILY, if you want to stay in this game.

your plan mentioned above is correct in theory, see how you can implement it successfully. purchasing VGCs online has its own set of challenges, more often you'll be limited up to certain amounts plus hit with exhorbitant purchase fees not including shipping, that will minimize your profits.

for me, best place to buy is your local grocery stores/drugstores. you have to invest a lot of time finding out what VGCs they sell, if they accept CC and how many they will sell at a time.

Serve/BB are both useful MS tools if you know how to utilize them to the max.

last, but not the least, you have to spend quite some time reading about various techniques and strategies, there are no shortcuts to this. once you have the idea, start buying low face value GCs like $25 and load it to your card to have experience on ease/difficulty of loading.

Resist the urge to bite more than you chew or you might choke and croak. MSing can be fun and profitable if you know what you're doing. Good luck!
Excellent post! ^^^
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:07 am

for me, best place to buy is your local grocery stores/drugstores. you have to invest a lot of time finding out what VGCs they sell, if they accept CC and how many they will sell at a time
This relates to a question I've been having, now that I've done a bit of MS and am starting to get the hang of it.

All the VGCs I've bought so far (and successfully loaded to Serve, all at RiteAid) are MetaBank VGCs from Staples and Simons Malls. I'd like to find other places to buy them, though, since the fees for Staples $200 VGCs are too high, and there's no Simons Mall near where I live (the ones I got recently were from visiting my parents for Christmas, who have a mall nearby).

So now I'd like to start better exploring the options near me. Is the basic rule of thumb to find a VGC which comes with a PIN? Or is there more to it than that?

In that case, should I be checking out my local CVS/RiteAid to see what they sell? Gas stations, etc.? I live downtown in a major city so don't own a car and am not very close to Walmart, etc.

Great post, thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

I've seen scattered older reports of people buying $500 VGCs at Sam's Club. Anyone know if those are still sold there, and, if so, if they're good for loading to BB? Thanks very much.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by rasgueado
This relates to a question I've been having, now that I've done a bit of MS and am starting to get the hang of it.

So now I'd like to start better exploring the options near me. Is the basic rule of thumb to find a VGC which comes with a PIN? Or is there more to it than that?

In that case, should I be checking out my local CVS/RiteAid to see what they sell? Gas stations, etc.? I live downtown in a major city so don't own a car and am not very close to Walmart, etc.
Variable load cards that go to $500 are the best ones to find. Just make sure to call in and set thin PIN if the instructions do NOT say that your PIN is the last 4 digits of the GC.
Here is a good place to start in your search for the Variable load GC:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l-500-gcs.html

Last edited by ajhardee; Dec 27, 2015 at 11:01 pm Reason: error
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: SPG, SWR
I've seen scattered older reports of people buying $500 VGCs at Sam's Club. Anyone know if those are still sold there, and, if so, if they're good for loading to BB? Thanks very much.
Last time I checked at Sam's they were Vanilla MC's. No Visas. Vanilla's are harder to get rid of.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:44 am

IME they would not take CC for the variable load OVMC they have there.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by ajhardee
Variable load cards that go to $500 are the best ones to find. Just make sure to call in and set thin PIN if the instructions do NOT say that your PIN is the last 4 digits of the GC.
Here is a good place to start in your search for the Variable load GC:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l-500-gcs.html
Thanks!

Okay, so if people don't mind a basic question (I guess this is the right thread for it...).

So are there any obvious holes in the following strategy? Buy OneVanilla VGCs at CVS ($500 with a $3.95 fee), then load them at RiteAid.

I've done loading at RiteAid no problem, but with MetaBank VGCs, which are hard to find in $500 amounts near me. So the main uncertainties for me are a) whether CVS will let you pay for OneVanilla cards with a CC, and b) whether the OneVanillas will successfully load to Serve at RiteAid.

Obviously I'll try this with a smaller amount first. But figured I should get advice here before going and testing it in the field!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by rasgueado
Thanks!

Okay, so if people don't mind a basic question (I guess this is the right thread for it...).

So are there any obvious holes in the following strategy? Buy OneVanilla VGCs at CVS ($500 with a $3.95 fee), then load them at RiteAid.

I've done loading at RiteAid no problem, but with MetaBank VGCs, which are hard to find in $500 amounts near me. So the main uncertainties for me are a) whether CVS will let you pay for OneVanilla cards with a CC, and b) whether the OneVanillas will successfully load to Serve at RiteAid.

Obviously I'll try this with a smaller amount first. But figured I should get advice here before going and testing it in the field!
Both a and b works for me in Socal. YMMV in your area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.