FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Acronyms for MS newbies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1554325-acronyms-ms-newbies.html)

rmunson1 Feb 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Acronyms for MS newbies

Breaking the code. It seems worthwhile (far be it from me to have an exhaustive list) to create a sticky at the top of the forum for some of the most used and/or most obscure acronyms used throughout the forum. Perhaps some of it is the specific intent - leave it opaque and let those with the energy and wisdom figure it out?

After spending hundreds of hours, I am certain most will become second nature. But, having a sticky list could help others get up to speed faster. And, one of the most common posts of all was 'read the posts' to people asking questions that have already been asked/answered. But, the posts are sometimes challenging to read if you are not in the 'in crowd' and failing to get the content out of obscure acronyms.

Anyway, if that is not the intent (to make it intentionally uninteligble), and instead people are just trying to use shorthand to save typing, I have a starter set of those acronyms that I figured out and some I have not figured out.

YMMV - your mileage may vary
AP - Amazon Payments
FR - Financial Review
CB - Cash Back
GC - Gift Card (aka VGC and MC GC)
MS - Manufactured Spend
FT - Flyer Talk
VR - Vanilla Reload

Some I have been a bit slow on
WP
SQ
SD
DD
FW
RFD
UuA

silver4300 Feb 22, 2014 4:23 pm

There is a reason why we speak in acronyms and why there is no decoder sticky. :-)

f0xx Feb 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by silver4300 (Post 22398324)
There is a reason why we speak in acronyms and why there is no decoder sticky. :-)

This.

Churrro Feb 22, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm been reading the forums for about three months now (same time I started with my BB). I think it's important to figure these things out - it forces you to read more. When you're just starting it's critical to read as much as you can. You might spend an hour trying to figure out what a certain acronym means, but along the way you're going to learn a lot of other things that will help you. Many of the concepts aren't difficult - but I've noticed there's a lot of subtle things to consider and think through.

dukerau Feb 22, 2014 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by rmunson1 (Post 22398265)
Breaking the code. It seems worthwhile (far be it from me to have an exhaustive list) to create a sticky at the top of the forum for some of the most used and/or most obscure acronyms used throughout the forum. Perhaps some of it is the specific intent - leave it opaque and let those with the energy and wisdom figure it out?

After spending hundreds of hours, I am certain most will become second nature. But, having a sticky list could help others get up to speed faster. And, one of the most common posts of all was 'read the posts' to people asking questions that have already been asked/answered. But, the posts are sometimes challenging to read if you are not in the 'in crowd' and failing to get the content out of obscure acronyms.

Anyway, if that is not the intent (to make it intentionally uninteligble), and instead people are just trying to use shorthand to save typing, I have a starter set of those acronyms that I figured out and some I have not figured out.

AP - Amazon Payments
FR - Financial Review
CB - Cash Back
MS - Manufactured Spend
FT - Flyer Talk
VR - Vanilla Reload

WP
SQ
SD
DD
FW
RFD
UuA

Agree that this is a bad idea.

For your benefit, and because these aren't that sensitive, I'll answer the ones I know:

WP - WorldPoints (?) - BoA's reward program
SQ - Singapore Airlines
SD - Slickdeals.net
DD - direct deposit
FW - fatwallet.com

rmunson1 Feb 22, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks

SpeedingLunatic Feb 22, 2014 7:38 pm

I was pretty sure DD referred to a size.

jan_believes Feb 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by dukerau (Post 22398716)
Agree that this is a bad idea.

For your benefit, and because these aren't that sensitive, I'll answer the ones I know:

WP - WorldPoints (?) - BoA's reward program
SQ - Singapore Airlines
SD - Slickdeals.net
DD - direct deposit
FW - fatwallet.com

I got 2 out of the 5 but really, the SQ was not fair. An airline code amongst financials?

And, I regret to say, I am a former airline employee. Embarrassed. :o

(RFD: Red Flag Deal? Don't blame me, google said it!) :D

oohaahouch Feb 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22399122)
I got 2 out of the 5 but really, the SQ was not fair. An airline code amongst financials?

And, I regret to say, I am a former airline employee. Embarrassed. :o

(RFD: Red Flag Deal? Don't blame me, google said it!) :D

SQ may be square

PainCorp Feb 22, 2014 8:29 pm

I just broke a table slamming my head into it.....

Toady Feb 23, 2014 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Churrro (Post 22398702)
I'm been reading the forums for about three months now (same time I started with my BB). I think it's important to figure these things out - it forces you to read more. When you're just starting it's critical to read as much as you can. You might spend an hour trying to figure out what a certain acronym means, but along the way you're going to learn a lot of other things that will help you. Many of the concepts aren't difficult - but I've noticed there's a lot of subtle things to consider and think through.

+1

AlohaDaveKennedy Feb 23, 2014 6:48 am

DD - Dan's Deals

Yeah, but weez good at being bad...

Originally Posted by dukerau (Post 22398716)
Agree that this is a bad idea....

rjs11 Feb 23, 2014 9:00 am

Originally Posted by rmunson1 (Post 22398265)

AP - Amazon Payments
FR - Financial Review
CB - Cash Back
MS - Manufactured Spend
FT - Flyer Talk
VR - Vanilla Reload

WP
SQ
SD
DD
FW
RFD
UuA

This is certainly a bad idea.

MarcusBWI Feb 23, 2014 10:25 am

What's the reason for this being a bad idea?

By the way, as someone new to the group, I appreciate the information from OP (everybody was new at some point, right?)

g1ant Feb 23, 2014 11:02 am

Originally Posted by MarcusBWI (Post 22401920)
What's the reason for this being a bad idea?

Because when people who are not Flyertalk members start to google some of these terms they will find this forum. MS is NOT a case of the more the merrier. Eventually one of the links in the chain VGC, BB or C-V-S will realize what's happening and turn off the taps. Don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Let's hope that when that happens, you aren't one of the ones holding large amounts of beans!!!