FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   JH (Jackson Hewitt) Preferred Card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1546095-jh-jackson-hewitt-preferred-card.html)

fappi Jan 30, 2014 7:36 pm

I am surprised that you guys still do not understand how they sort MS users from non-MS users.

skibum7732 Jan 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by fappi (Post 22256194)
I am surprised that you guys still do not understand how they sort MS users from non-MS users.

please inform us all then if you have the magic formula....there are many variables and data points with varying successes/failures

Fico2Go Jan 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by fappi (Post 22256194)

Is it because MSers don't allow the prepaid companies make any money?

BigDawgFT Jan 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732 (Post 22256456)
please inform us all then if you have the magic formula....there are many variables and data points with varying successes/failures

I think his point is that you could not possibly imagine a more aggressive way to start the relationship. Start slow, and build the realtionship. You know, kind of like dating in high school: first base on the first date, maybe second base on the second or third, etc.

BigDawgFT Jan 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Fico2Go (Post 22256508)
Is it because MSers don't allow the prepaid companies make any money?

Perhaps. More likely, fear of money laundering: dirty cash in, clean cash out, and repeat.

drdrew450 Jan 30, 2014 9:18 pm

As others have mentioned, this is just an MVD with a different label. The website has the same password restrictions, status in the same spot, same bank.

So expect a quick death, unless you do normal spend. At least in this case you arent charged half a dollar for a transaction, W T F, who would pay that on the regular?

xp0 Jan 30, 2014 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 22251822)
Try allowing popups.

I did... I tried firefox, ie, chrome and I even tried on my iphone. I will try ipad tomorrow...

:(

fappi Jan 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT (Post 22256548)
I think his point is that you could not possibly imagine a more aggressive way to start the relationship. Start slow, and build the realtionship. You know, kind of like dating in high school: first base on the first date, maybe second base on the second or third, etc.

No thats not it (you can start as aggressive and still not get shut down)

flyertalker9867674 Jan 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by theacolyte (Post 22255878)
Besides the obvious?

Yes. I'm just curious if they were handing out the same BS excuses as GreenDot.

ma91pmh Jan 31, 2014 2:24 pm

$5k in via VR

$5k out via WM BP

Shutdown

On the phone with CS who says she works for Bancorp. My card says issued by Sutton Bank, so just for kicks I am going to file complaint with NYDFS that the card is falsely representing another bank. CS has no clue about ... Sutton Bank is!

stealph Jan 31, 2014 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh (Post 22261093)
$5k in via VR

$5k out via WM BP

Shutdown

On the phone with CS who says she works for Bancorp. My card says issued by Sutton Bank, so just for kicks I am going to file complaint with NYDFS that the card is falsely representing another bank. CS has no clue about ... Sutton Bank is!

That was quick my good friend :) 99.9% is such a high percentage :)

pier11 Jan 31, 2014 2:53 pm

$5k in via VR

$5k out via WM BP

Shutdown

too fast to their liking?.. load/unload
mvd style

fappi Jan 31, 2014 2:56 pm

$5k in via VR

$5k out via WM BP

Shutdown

You blindly believe the CS, when she says she works for Bancorp?

Fico2Go Jan 31, 2014 3:06 pm

I don't think the wham bam thank u mam approach will work much longer. The industry is getting smarter.

ma91pmh Jan 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by stealph (Post 22261127)
That was quick my good friend :) 99.9% is such a high percentage :)

Yes indeed :) I can eat humble pie... so sorry Jeff. Though when there is a lot of wolf crying I can't really be blamed....

Originally Posted by fappi (Post 22261301)
You blindly believe the CS, when she says she works for Bancorp?

ha supervisor works for InComm. No I mean Bancorp. No I mean Jackson Hewitt. I don't really care I was just f***ing with them. I plan to lob the complaint into NYDFS for kicks though. They will not let go

ma91pmh Jan 31, 2014 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by pier11 (Post 22261283)
too fast to their liking?.. load/unload
mvd style

Yes they mumble some BS about it being against federal regulations to load and then immediately unload large sums.... oh wait no it's against the terms and conditions... actually we can change the terms and conditions at will. it was pretty funny to listen to. should have recorded it for the regulator to hear

Lemma Feb 2, 2014 5:46 am

Originally Posted by cuebert (Post 22240562)
Up until last week, folks on the registers didn't care.

I don't know the term "GC" when I'm at Wally's. It's debit, as I say only when asked, and when asked to show my card I present it. "Let me see your card... ahh, prepay, yeah, we don't allow it."

(If I wanted $500 of junk they'd happily take it.)

This is a new thing.

This means I have to use a debit card with my name it to do the deed there now.

Maybe where you live this just started last week. Where I live, some WMs have refused to sell me MO with GC for as long as I've been trying it, and others still do not care. At my usual one there was recently some concern about my purchases and whether they should be allowed to continue, but I was able to assuage that by agreeing to fill out the paperwork with SSN and whatnot that I hadn't been doing in the past. That seems to have convinced them I'm not a money launderer and my GC purchases have been allowed to continue. This always has been, and continues to be, YMMV.

I have ordered this card and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. I was able to get approved despite recently having all 3 of my MVD accounts simultaneously converted to spend down mode and the fact that I was not able to get the T-Mobile prepaid card, which I thought might have been due to being on Bancorp's blacklist as a result of my MVD accounts. This gives me a little bit of hope that the issue with T-Mobile may just be a website glitch. My plan is to liquidate at WM in smaller amounts, like 1-2k at a time, rather than doing a 5k bill pay in one go. Since the card can only be loaded 1k at a time and since I visit WM plenty anyway, there's no extra cost to me if I do it this way. We'll see how long it lasts.

carsonheim Feb 2, 2014 8:10 am

How long did it take y'all to get your card? I applied around 1/24. Still waiting

TKKY Feb 2, 2014 9:01 am

Same here. Waiting to get my card so I can get shut down.

Originally Posted by carsonheim (Post 22270517)
How long did it take y'all to get your card? I applied around 1/24. Still waiting

cuebert Feb 2, 2014 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Lemma (Post 22269807)
Maybe where you live this just started last week.

Last time I visited they actually took my cards and DL, compared names, and swiped the cards. They were polite though, no other problems and I can still use that WM as long as I'm not getting MOs or BP with GCs.

The other local WM, fortunately, doesn't share employees :cool:

zeppoloveskafka Feb 8, 2014 2:33 pm

my card finally showed up. Anybody having success with this? Better to just not bother even activating it?

jiffyjiff Feb 8, 2014 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by TKKY (Post 22270765)
Same here. Waiting to get my card so I can get shut down.

Originally Posted by carsonheim (Post 22270517)

Same experience as above - just got mine today, applied 2-3 weeks ago

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 22312072)
my card finally showed up. Anybody having success with this? Better to just not bother even activating it?

Doesn't seem like anyone is having any success moving amounts. Activate vs. not - what do you have to lose - bang it hard and fast and be done and move on. Unless you want to wait until you have a large sign up to meet (I'm in process of meeting AA 100k 10k spend, so I will go hard and fast)

pier11 Feb 8, 2014 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff (Post 22312161)
Same experience as above - just got mine today, applied 2-3 weeks ago

Doesn't seem like anyone is having any success moving amounts. Activate vs. not - what do you have to lose - bang it hard and fast and be done and move on. Unless you want to wait until you have a large sign up to meet (I'm in process of meeting AA 100k 10k spend, so I will go hard and fast)

you have to lose the next better opportunity possibly.

people report cross-bans (have I just invented the term?) - shut down on one product prevent them to sign up with the other.

example. Those banned with paypower are now having no go with t-mo. And who know with what else in the future. As new products appear on monthly basis in our area.

my 2 points ($0.02)

carsonheim Feb 8, 2014 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 22312072)

Mine showed up yesterday. Loaded 1K yesterday, 1K today. Used it at grocery store today for a $2.33 purchase. Will ramp up over the coming weeks. :-:

pier11 Feb 8, 2014 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by carsonheim (Post 22312396)
Used it ... for a $2.33 purchase. Will ramp up ...

^lol

jan_believes Feb 8, 2014 8:03 pm

My JH arrived, too. Pastor preached on money at church tonight. Said spend cash, not credit. Third point out of six. Also, gave us homework. Watch the "RUDY" movie. Thank you, Pastor. Have a good evening. :)

What is the easiest, and least fee intense way to use this? I was at WM tonight (after church) and picked up a Money Services brochure featuring all the icons like VR, HRB Emerald. Didn't see the JH icon. But, reading posts indicates can reload at WM?

I "interviewed" the customer service person to go over reload procedures. I have a CC paid for VR and want to use it. Hopefully.

So far, the cost on this to start at $1k a month I figure is this:

$7.90 + 7.48 + $1.40 (2x MOs) is $16.78.

Net return: 1008 miles or points for VR cost.

Ok, what is it that I am missing?

cuebert Feb 8, 2014 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by jan_believes (Post 22313456)
$7.90 + 7.48 + $1.40 (2x MOs) is $16.78.

To load the JH with the VR visit vanillareload.com and it's free, not $7.48.

A cheaper and easier way would be to load a BB card, so you can use the billpay instead of visiting WM for MOs.

Video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6tTr8ZrbA0

jan_believes Feb 8, 2014 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by cuebert (Post 22313475)
To load the JH with the VR visit vanillareload.com and it's free, not $7.48.

A cheaper and easier way would be to load a BB card, so you can use the billpay instead of visiting WM for MOs.

Video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6tTr8ZrbA0

Yes, I appreciate it. Thanks cuebert! Great information. Can try on Monday. :)

I've mentioned in another post I am waiting for on old Serve account to close before I can try out BB. Trying to be patient but couldn't help myself. I just had to know if I could get a VR at CVS with CC and I only struck out at one CVS and found two others that do sell them.

In the meantime, this card came in. Thanks again! :)

silver6054 Feb 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Mine showed up yesterday. Loaded 1K yesterday, 1K today. Used it at grocery store today for a $2.33 purchase. Will ramp up over the coming weeks. :-:

Mine just arrived. I believe in the hard and fast approach, so I am going to spend $15 at the grocery store. Well, maybe not $15, say $12, hard and fast but not reckless.

Szamboti Feb 10, 2014 4:50 pm

I had the weirdest experience with the JH call in to verify process today. Get the must call msg so I do. Lady says ok now we have to ask you some security verification questions. Np im thinking, ive been through this drill before. Then the questions comes. Which of these addresses have u lived at. (four addresses I don't recognize) A: none.

next question: Which address most closely matches the following address. (she then gives me a completely random address and then 4 more addresses that are totally random) A: huh? why are they asking me about this completely random address that I don't recognize.

next question: which hospital is closest to you?
They name 4 hospitals, none of which are close to my home address. The two hospitals that are closest to my house are not on the list. Im like huh?

sorry Mr S but you have FAILED the questions and we no give u a card. buh bye!

healthnut Feb 10, 2014 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Szamboti (Post 22324321)
I had the weirdest experience with the JH call in to verify process today. Get the must call msg so I do. Lady says ok now we have to ask you some security verification questions. Np im thinking, ive been through this drill before. Then the questions comes. Which of these addresses have u lived at. (four addresses I don't recognize) A: none.

next question: Which address most closely matches the following address. (she then gives me a completely random address and then 4 more addresses that are totally random) A: huh? why are they asking me about this completely random address that I don't recognize.

They name 4 hospitals, none of which are close to my home address. The two hospitals that are closest to my house are not on the list. Im like huh?

Ahhh one of the many reasons calling is my last option for anything MS-related. As long as I can reload and drain, I stay silent.

What did you get when you tried to apply online?

concordian Feb 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Looks like i was lucky enough to be approved online.

Think this is the first time I heard about some checks to get a prepaid card.

itchyfeet123 Feb 10, 2014 8:25 pm

I've had questions like those when trying to order a credit report online. When I've "failed" them, it has been because there is some wrong information in my report somewhere. (Which is why I wanted a copy in the first place...) So I would check with wherever JH gets its information that your record is accurate.

uneeq Feb 10, 2014 10:24 pm

Just got my card in the mail...they sent 2 of em. I managed to register both to different accounts.

Hopefully that's an extra 20k in VRs every month in the future?

flyertalker9867674 Feb 10, 2014 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 22326188)

Yeah....no. You'll be shut down before the first month is over.

Got my card in the mail as well. I'm still debating how I want to play this one. I'm thinking 2k a month in VR's then use it to pay for MO's at WallyWorld.

skibum7732 Feb 10, 2014 11:51 pm

hmm.closest hospital would not be on anything credit report related and is not a normail question that i have ever been asked.
previous addresses
cars owned
eye color on DL
etc, but closest hospital?

skibum7732 Feb 10, 2014 11:54 pm

wow, big spender there. I just see that as a loss of 2 miles...Ill go hard and fast and probably get shut down:D

ma91pmh Feb 11, 2014 5:14 am

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 22326188)
Just got my card in the mail...they sent 2 of em. I managed to register both to different accounts.

It will be an extra 5k total... then you will be shut down

newtopoints Feb 11, 2014 6:55 am

Meh

Mine came last week. Its still in the envelope. I'm not going to bother opening this one until the billpay is real.

sam_goh Feb 11, 2014 5:22 pm

Any recent shutdown reports? Got mine in the mail. Was going to do $1k a day till $4k or something then unload.