FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016). (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1455542-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2013-2016-a.html)

jk2 Apr 4, 2013 6:17 pm

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

I want to share the exciting news in some form. Now you can setup a PIN for some Visa/MC giftcards.

I had 2 $500 Visa GCs that looked like that so I called and set up the PIN (actually, you can do it online as well:

https://mygift.giftcardmall.com/Card/SetPin)

Today I went to WM to test if it would work for debit transactions like MO. I decided to buy $1K MO and ask cashier to split transaction with first payment of $500. I swiped my Visa GC, enterd PIN and viola - "approved".

I did not test Mastercard GC (the one from mygiftcardsite.com), but I think it would work as well.

I understand that this is not as "hot" as VR, but this is a nice money maker - you can buy Visa GC at many grocery stores with Blue Cash Preferred AMEX and get 6% off - that offsets nicely purchase fee.

Those Visa GC (the ones that can be registered on mygift.mygiftcardmall) can be purchased at many grocery stores, officemax, staples.

Enjoy!

ferrari_fan Apr 4, 2013 6:21 pm

Exciting and game changing. Congrats on finding it. Going to be a long thread :D

amolkold Apr 4, 2013 6:36 pm

I wonder if there was a law that said these had to happen ... I got a $50 prepaid card from US Bank for their START program and the T&C explicitly stated that PINs would be available on April 1. I got the card in March ...

If only OD still sold $500 GCs ....

Bender464 Apr 4, 2013 6:47 pm

This is where it's at for me! $5.95 purchase fee is easily offset by using BCP. Now to see if I can fund BB with PIN-enabled GC at WM register...

vinyalwhl Apr 4, 2013 6:54 pm

bless you kind sir

MDWCommuter Apr 4, 2013 7:59 pm

Is this a belated April Fool's joke? :D

theacolyte Apr 4, 2013 8:12 pm

http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/fi...ts-from-stores

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 20538249)
I wonder if there was a law that said these had to happen ... I got a $50 prepaid card from US Bank for their START program and the T&C explicitly stated that PINs would be available on April 1. I got the card in March ...

If only OD still sold $500 GCs ....

akpars Apr 4, 2013 8:13 pm

Awesome. Need to test it tomorrow.

MDWCommuter Apr 4, 2013 8:22 pm

Just happened to have two $50 Visa gift cards in the house from a Dominicks promotion and was able to set a PIN for them both.

Note that you won't be able to use them at ATMs. Wonder whether cash back will work?

Curious that the legislation only applies to Visa and MC gift cards.

fwoomp Apr 4, 2013 9:35 pm

Looking forward to future tax-paying...

st.exupery Apr 4, 2013 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by fwoomp (Post 20538887)
Looking forward to future tax-paying...

I think the tax payment sites always treated these cards as debit. The benefit here -- money orders, supermarket cashback and BB reloads at Walmart (assuming it works). Good deal if you get a supermarket or drugstore bonus. Office Supply stores are $200 max GCs, as far as I know.

maijojacob Apr 4, 2013 10:37 pm

PIN available now for selected Visa/MC giftcards

I had this for a while but didn't think I could use this to BB

rambo Apr 4, 2013 10:50 pm

Wow this is great news. I will try it tomorrow.

st.exupery Apr 5, 2013 12:41 am

Looks like you can add a PIN for ordinary Vanilla GCs. Wondering if anyone has tried the PIN feature w. BB/Walmart or money orders, thanks
https://www.vanillavisa.com/home.htm...ard&csrfToken=

jm38750n Apr 5, 2013 7:09 am

Since no one mentioned the obvious..... Vanilla Reload game is BACK ON go to Walgreens where they accept Cash or DEBIT only....

akpars Apr 5, 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by st.exupery (Post 20539405)
Looks like you can add a PIN for ordinary Vanilla GCs. Wondering if anyone has tried the PIN feature w. BB/Walmart or money orders, thanks

I tried to use Vanilla Visa Gift Card as debit in Aldi couple of days ago, but the terminal rejected with some error code.

Bender464 Apr 5, 2013 7:41 am

Originally Posted by jm38750n (Post 20540506)
Since no one mentioned the obvious..... Vanilla Reload game is BACK ON go to Walgreens where they accept Cash or DEBIT only....

What would be the point in doing that? $5.95 + $3.95 :confused:

Originally Posted by st.exupery (Post 20539405)
https://www.vanillavisa.com/home.htm...ard&csrfToken=

Originally Posted by jk2 (Post 20538174)
Today I went to WM to test if it would work for debit transactions like MO. I decided to buy $1K MO and ask cashier to split transaction with first payment of $500. I swiped my Visa GC, enterd PIN and viola - "approved".

MDWCommuter Apr 5, 2013 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jk2 (Post 20538174)
I did not test Mastercard GC (the one from mygiftcardsite.com), but I think it would work as well.

Is anyone a little apprehensive about entering your gift card information at this site? Seems like you're just handing someone all the information they need to shop on-line with your gift card. Is anyone familiar with the web site?

mshah Apr 5, 2013 9:00 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter (Post 20540986)
Is anyone a little apprehensive about entering your gift card information at this site? Seems like you're just handing someone all the information they need to shop on-line with your gift card. Is anyone familiar with the web site?

That's the website from the back of the GC to register!

MDWCommuter Apr 5, 2013 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mshah (Post 20541090)
That's the website from the back of the GC to register!

Oh good , that makes me feel much better. I *really* tried to read the fine print but my eyes couldn't focus on print that small and I don't have a magnifying glass :D

So I tried the site -- no dice with adding a PIN. Could only register the card.

Bender464 Apr 5, 2013 9:15 am

Originally Posted by MDWCommuter (Post 20541141)
Oh good , that makes me feel much better. I *really* tried to read the fine print but my eyes couldn't focus on print that small and I don't have a magnifying glass :D

I need one myself, it's almost impossible for me to read! :(

TheDapperDon Apr 5, 2013 9:18 am

The Walgreens near me accept cash only. Are you sure they take Debit?

jdl Apr 5, 2013 9:58 am

Can you please explain this idea? I'm not seeing the benefit of GC w/PIN --> Walgreens VR --> X.

If X is BB, then that will cost you fee for GC + fee for VR. In that case why not just do straight GC w/PIN --> BB via Walmart? That will save you one fee. Even if X is something else, you will always have that second fee when you get the VR.
Thanks.

newbynewbynew Apr 5, 2013 10:20 am

You can buy these at Kroger and get gas points which offsets the 5.95 fee as long as you get 12 gallons or more when you fill up (assuming $500 GC purchased). Then liquidate at Walmart buying MO like OP suggested.

TheDapperDon Apr 5, 2013 11:23 am

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew (Post 20541582)
You can buy these at Kroger and get gas points which offsets the 5.95 fee as long as you get 12 gallons or more when you fill up (assuming $500 GC purchased). Then liquidate at Walmart buying MO like OP suggested.

Not to mention that you can offset the fee or make a profit if you have cards that get grocery awards.

Keep in mind that Kroger doesn't give fuel points on cards greater than $100 bucks. A good rewards card is the better play here. I think a couple have already been mentioned.

Bender464 Apr 5, 2013 11:35 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 20541972)
Not to mention that you can offset the fee or make a profit if you have cards that get grocery awards.

Keep in mind that Kroger doesn't give fuel points on cards greater than $100 bucks. A good rewards card is the better play here. I think a couple have already been mentioned.

^

Only purchases of eligible items made at Fred Meyer using your Fred Meyer Rewards® Card or Fred Meyer Rewards® Visa®are eligible for Fuel Points. Accumulation of Fuel Points and Rewards Points excludes fuel, tobacco, postage stamps, lottery tickets, Western Union, money orders, transit passes, fees, game licenses, phone activation, sales tax, Ticketmaster, any purchases prohibited by law and the following gift cards: Fred Meyer, Kroger, MasterCard®, Visa®, American Express®, Green Dot® and financial variable load gift cards.

DarrellDoesDallas Apr 5, 2013 11:37 am

This is the greatest news I have heard in a seriously long time... essentially, this lessens the need for AP.

Sometimes I jump to conclusions too fast and then realize, wooopsies... but seriously, with this development, no more need for complicated Jungle rings, correct?

thorax Apr 5, 2013 11:38 am

Originally Posted by jdl (Post 20541468)
Can you please explain this idea? I'm not seeing the benefit of GC w/PIN --> Walgreens VR --> X.

If X is BB, then that will cost you fee for GC + fee for VR. In that case why not just do straight GC w/PIN --> BB via Walmart? That will save you one fee. Even if X is something else, you will always have that second fee when you get the VR.
Thanks.

Not sure that's very profitable either. It's a $2 fee, with a $100 limit a day, and a $1,000 limit per month.

TheDapperDon Apr 5, 2013 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Bender464 (Post 20542048)
^

It's different in certain states. Some states won't let you get fuel points on anything but restaurant cards. Mine works for 100 buck cards. I get enough rewards to warrant the purchases from a few of my cards.

aegt123 Apr 5, 2013 11:55 am

this is still 3 times more expensive than the VR at OD. Time to get creative now.

Bender464 Apr 5, 2013 11:55 am

Originally Posted by thorax (Post 20542070)
Not sure that's very profitable either. It's a $2 fee, with a $100 limit a day, and a $1,000 limit per month.

Are you sure that fee and limits are applicable in-store because I thought those were on-line or by phone?

amolkold Apr 5, 2013 11:57 am

If you go to Walmart, it's free.

joshf81 Apr 5, 2013 11:58 am

Just for record, I've been able to BB Debit Load (No Fee for In-store load) and able to buy MO's from same store. Not able to buy MO from PO - seen as cash advance (like ATM). Maybe it could be coded differently, so I wouldn't rule this out 100%. Was not able to buy VRs from the store that supposedly allows Debit Cards saying that it was against their store policy to buy $500 VRs with Debit - although I imagine you'll have success at other stores, since she seemed to be making up policy as she went.

Bender464 Apr 5, 2013 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 20542192)
If you go to Walmart, it's free.

Same limit, or higher?

Jeremyh11 Apr 5, 2013 12:04 pm

Fee and daily limit do not apply if you do it at Walmart

aegt123 Apr 5, 2013 12:05 pm

Which credit cards get you 5X or even 3X at grocery stores?

nep301 Apr 5, 2013 12:07 pm

there is a citi thank you card that gives you 5x at gas, grocery and drug stores for the first year. the penfed platinum rewards gives 3x at grocery stores

Bender464 Apr 5, 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jeremyh11 (Post 20542236)
Fee and daily limit do not apply if you do it at Walmart

Thank you. ^

TheDapperDon Apr 5, 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by aegt123 (Post 20542246)
Which credit cards get you 5X or even 3X at grocery stores?

Amex BCP or BCE.

BofA cash rewards gives 2%, which I think helps you break even. You probably want to use that card only to meet spend for the easy 100 bucks.

TheDapperDon Apr 5, 2013 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464 (Post 20542263)
Thank you. ^

So, folks have confirmed loading BB at Walmart with these cards and not having the 1k limit?

Nevermind, I saw the info about the limit. I was reading too fast.