Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2013, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread for 2017: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819569-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-2017-a.html

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 8:45 am

I've been mostly getting MOs instead of BB kiosk option. Is there any reason why I should switch it up to BB kiosk? I have ice creams available where I'm at so I max out BB with them and then do Visa debits to MO option.
Old May 13, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, HH
Few data points about kiosks:

1. Tried to load own and wife's BB at WM. Loaded 2 cards onto mine, 1 on wife's. While trying to load 2nd card onto wife's BB (4th card in a row) - got a message that manager's approval required. Manager was not around, so I just left.

I guess, even though they were 4 separate transactions - new BB swipe every time - they still track what you are doing.

2. Next day (this morning) I was loading 2 more cards on wife's BB - one Chase GC required 3 swipes - on first 2 it was coming up with some wired message about wrong card. Almost gave up, but tried the third try - went through no problems.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by cronin85
I've been mostly getting MOs instead of BB kiosk option. Is there any reason why I should switch it up to BB kiosk? I have ice creams available where I'm at so I max out BB with them and then do Visa debits to MO option.
no reason. i am doing the same. as long as you are happy doing mo's no point eating into bb limits for gc's
Old May 13, 2013, 9:18 am

Thanks ^^
Old May 13, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Artemk

1. Tried to load own and wife's BB at WM. Loaded 2 cards onto mine, 1 on wife's. While trying to load 2nd card onto wife's BB (4th card in a row) - got a message that manager's approval required. Manager was not around, so I just left.

I guess, even though they were 4 separate transactions - new BB swipe every time - they still track what you are doing.

2. Next day (this morning) I was loading 2 more cards on wife's BB - one Chase GC required 3 swipes - on first 2 it was coming up with some wired message about wrong card. Almost gave up, but tried the third try - went through no problems.
I went through the exact same issue yesterday. Luckily, I found a Walmart employee nearby and had her do the override. This appears to be standard protocol (fraud prevention measure).
Old May 13, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by the_jaguar
I went through the exact same issue yesterday. Luckily, I found a Walmart employee nearby and had her do the override. This appears to be standard protocol (fraud prevention measure).
I've done 10 $200 Vanilla Visas back to back (2 cards) on several occasions with no issues, so I assume this varies from store to store.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:59 am

Any confirmation that the MyVanilla cards (prepaid cards, in the section where the VRs are...)

they look like this: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKKRR6eCIAIm4d7.jpg#twimg
Old May 13, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
I had seen the same issue last Fri and Sat (Metabank MC didn't work, Chase GC didn't work). It had me concerned that BB or the gift card guys figured out a way to shut it down. However I was able to load the chase GC to 2 of my BB's w/o any issue on Sun. Will head out to WM to load the MC today.

I have been doing this for over a month now with so many gift cards and this is the first time this has happened. Hopefully it was some kind of software bug on the BB side.

Originally Posted by jasonvr
The MC ones always require me to hit "Change Payment Method" button which then prompted for a PIN. Then it asks about cash back (which I answer no to). After that, yeah, it said something like Alternate Payment Required on the PIN pad and then spit out the small piece of paper with the Debit Not Authorized message.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by Artemk

Originally Posted by kjgco
I've done 10 $200 Vanilla Visas back to back (2 cards) on several occasions with no issues, so I assume this varies from store to store.
It would seem that the problems on all these pin enabled gift cards don't follow any pattern. It's all over the map.

There are a few basics with load limits though, but beyond that it seems to vary case by case, store by store, kiosk by kiosk, cashier by cashier. There's no rhyme or reason. I'm fine with a little hoop jumping as long as this stays alive, though.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
That has been the rule since Day 1.

Loading off a debit card via the Bluebird website is NOT the same thing as loading from a debit card at Wal-Mart. This has been gone over and over and over again in the bluebird thread.
Thanks for the clarification. So, now all debit gift cards with pins can be loaded via the Walmart money center and BlueBird in store kiosk at $1000 a day and $5000 a month with no BlueBird or Walmart fees.

I think this is a good clarification to make as I have read the posts very closely and have seen it posted both ways without a clarification to either making the information useless if you do not know which poster to follow.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by dawgs
Thanks for the clarification. So, now all debit gift cards with pins can be loaded via the Walmart money center and BlueBird in store kiosk at $1000 a day and $5000 a month with no BlueBird or Walmart fees.

I think this is a good clarification to make as I have read the posts very closely and have seen it posted both ways without a clarification to either making the information useless if you do not know which poster to follow.
indeed the problem with message boards that most flyer talk members refuse to realize. The forum/message board format isn't the quickest or cleanest way to get info. It's actually quite messy. And FTers get angry when people don't know things (because they were mentioned 10 pages ago). This is why blogs (which many FTers hate) are growing in popularity. Heck, the OP just updating the first post with some info as it comes in would be helpful. But I doubt the FT community at large would like that.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nonstopski
indeed the problem with message boards that most flyer talk members refuse to realize. The forum/message board format isn't the quickest or cleanest way to get info. It's actually quite messy. And FTers get angry when people don't know things (because they were mentioned 10 pages ago).
Reading isn't that hard. People don't get angry as a result of someone not knowing anything - we were all there at one time - they get angry when people are too damn lazy to read back 10 pages.

It's a message board, not War and Peace. Barely 1/2 the page even has text on it.

Heck, the OP just updating the first post with some info as it comes in would be helpful. But I doubt the FT community at large would like that.
That's actually been encouraged many times (see the Citi AA thread for example) but it quickly dies out because people can't be bothered to even read the 1st message in a thread, let alone the past 10 pages, even when the title of the thread specifcally asks them to.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nks-first.html
Old May 13, 2013, 11:54 am

indeed the problem with message boards that most flyer talk members refuse to realize. The forum/message board format isn't the quickest or cleanest way to get info. It's actually quite messy. And FTers get angry when people don't know things (because they were mentioned 10 pages ago). This is why blogs (which many FTers hate) are growing in popularity. Heck, the OP just updating the first post with some info as it comes in would be helpful. But I doubt the FT community at large would like that.
VERY well put. A blog that can figure out what the correct way to perform a task is and then clearly explain how to do it and then keep that post updated when the game changes is much more valuable than reading through a 97 page message board thread with conflicting advice (and then getting yelled at when you ask for clarification).
Old May 13, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: DL, WoH
I also doubt that a wikipost would be a good idea either. I guess if you're going to get into this game and dabble with Prepaid gift cards it's somewhat expected you use search function and read through threads before you jump in. I've followed this thread since the OP's first post, and gathered as much knowledge as possible.

I haven't bought a prepaid since the beginning of this month because I'm waiting to meet minimum spends on the new Ink Plus I will be getting, but I'm tempted to go buy a $25 visa at staples just to refresh myself of the process.
Old May 13, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Reading isn't that hard. People don't get angry as a result of someone not knowing anything - we were all there at one time - they get angry when people are too damn lazy to read back 10 pages.
The depth of information and interaction is what is good about message board threads. However, when you have conflicting information over the course of a thread that has gone on for 90 pages and two month, it may be a good idea to ask for clarification...which is the point of message boards (interaction and discussion).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.