Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:59 pm

[Deleted]

Last edited by redbirdsj; Feb 24, 2022 at 10:16 am Reason: deleted
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
Not correct. Read my post correctly I said, if computer asks for ID then the rep is going to ask for it, this is what happened to me when I asked for 2K MO. I don't know what the exact coding is whether it is 1100 or 1900. I assumed it is 2K based on my experience. When I get 1K MO, they don't ask for anything, when I asked for 2K, they asked for ID, I decided to be polite and respectful and got 2 X 1K MO instead and they didn't ask for my ID. If what you are saying is correct, then this would have never worked. Computer would prevent them. This works for me, I have tried this several times. In nutshell, 2 X1K MO and no id is required, 1X2K, MO and Id is required. Simple.
I doubt the computer asked for ID. More likely the request was from the cashier, because of training or misunderstanding, and she used the terminal claim as backup.

Your claim "Anything over 2K you have to fill out the forms." is still wrong. It is foolish to be both wrong and stubborn. Give it up.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I doubt the computer asked for ID.
Before BB and Serve died I was a frequent guest at Walmart. Some cashiers when asked to process multiple loads (1k+1k) will select in their terminal "is this transaction over 2000 = yes". Others dont bother.
Once selected the terminal does ask for ID. Once I had to enter my information on the pin-pad and I didnt mind it as the cashier did not see any of the info.
Another time they wanted to write down my license,ss,address on a dirty piece of paper to file - I told them to pound sand. They were not happy :-)

Every single other time I got away with either: a) forget about it, I will come back tomorrow b) just do 999.99 for second load.
But 80% of the time I knew the rep/cashier and loaded 5-6 BB in a sitting.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:26 pm

Not correct. Read my post correctly I said, if computer asks for ID then the rep is going to ask for it, this is what happened to me when I asked for 2K MO. I don't know what the exact coding is whether it is 1100 or 1900. I assumed it is 2K based on my experience. When I get 1K MO, they don't ask for anything, when I asked for 2K, they asked for ID, I decided to be polite and respectful and got 2 X 1K MO instead and they didn't ask for my ID. If what you are saying is correct, then this would have never worked. Computer would prevent them. This works for me, I have tried this several times. In nutshell, 2 X1K MO and no id is required, 1X2K, MO and Id is required. Simple.
That would be completely store dependent. Even if so, it's not a SAR that will be filed with the IRS. If structuring a transaction so as not to require reporting then you can check with legal regarding possible outcomes. AndyAndy is mostly correct since cash isn't involved. Most stores appear to say anything above a certain amount needs the paper filled out, but not b/c it is an official HQ policy on the threshold.

It sounds like u should be nicer to the computer. I've never had a computer ask for my ID. . Each person has to figure out their limits and know that YMMV.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 4:59 am

I doubt the computer asked for ID. More likely the request was from the cashier, because of training or misunderstanding, and she used the terminal claim as backup.

Your claim "Anything over 2K you have to fill out the forms." is still wrong. It is foolish to be both wrong and stubborn. Give it up.
I think foolish and stubborn must be you who despite not being there guessing on so many things! Based on so many people being asked for the ID when the transactions are over couple of thousands, I conjectured that there may be a coding in the terminal to ask for ID when the transaction is over certain amount.(Reasonable conjecture not a wild one)(1K no ID, 2K they asked for ID). All of this is independent of SAR. Common sense should tell you that mere 2K transaction can not be suspicious activity. I never put emphasis on 2K MO somehow relates to SAR.

You were not there, you have no clue what happened. When I asked as to why she needed ID, the operator said terminal is asking for it, and we can't proceed before we fill in that information. Whether she punched wrong button, training issue etc, you are guessing it big time and you have no clue and it is immaterial. I was just sharing my experience and how I get around it without having to provide ID even if it is a mere formality and not tied to SAR.

There are so many things people say based on their observation, do we have access to WM, CC companies manuals, algorithm etc? So stop guessing what you don't know and read the above post where user is talking about similar experience.

Last edited by nfpa70e; Feb 10, 2016 at 7:08 am
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by dsauch
Before BB and Serve died I was a frequent guest at Walmart. Some cashiers when asked to process multiple loads (1k+1k) will select in their terminal "is this transaction over 2000 = yes". Others dont bother.
Once selected the terminal does ask for ID. Once I had to enter my information on the pin-pad and I didnt mind it as the cashier did not see any of the info.
Another time they wanted to write down my license,ss,address on a dirty piece of paper to file - I told them to pound sand. They were not happy :-)

Every single other time I got away with either: a) forget about it, I will come back tomorrow b) just do 999.99 for second load.
But 80% of the time I knew the rep/cashier and loaded 5-6 BB in a sitting.
Right on. I just don't tell them upfront anymore, I want to do 2K. I just do 1, 1K and then ask for the other one. If you are personable most of the times this works, I never had problem.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:49 am

can walmart voluntarily hit something on their screen to initiate a SAR? or do they only do this via physical paperwork or when the screen automatically prompts it (which isn't usually a SAR, but just identity verification)? I have a WM that is super skeptical of me, but completes my transactions. I was doing a BP and the csr was fumbling around on the screen for a long time before starting the transaction. She had my cc statement in hand (they require it there). She never asked me any questions etc, but I know the procedure for BP very well and she was doing more than just the normal BP. Its very possible she was just forgetful on how to get to CFP and took a while, but wasn't sure if they can personally initiate a form to be filled out on the computer rather than a physical piece of paper.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
SARs cannot be filled out with the customer knowing.

SARs do not get filed to the IRS.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
How do you know that Walmart doesn't consider purchase with a debit card to be a monetary instrument that would trigger the recording requirement evidenced by the money order transaction form?
There is a difference between what Wally World does and what the law requires. A business/particular store/particular CSR can have whatever arbitrary policy they want. What they can't do is change the laws and regulations that govern AML/BSA reporting requirements. There is no reporting or recordkeeping requirement for monetary instrument transactions that don't involve currency. Full stop.

Wally World CSRs are IME particularly squirrely. They can, and do, record information and fill out random forms when there is no requirement to do so. I imagine it's partially that Wally World has it's own policies, but primarily because they are ill-trained.

Originally Posted by shitrus
SARs cannot be filled out with the customer knowing.
Of course they can. They can't be properly completed that way, but we're talking about front line CSRs who have fifteen minutes of half-remembered AML training.

Andyandy
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:44 am

[Deleted]

Last edited by redbirdsj; Feb 24, 2022 at 10:16 am Reason: deleted
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think foolish and stubborn must be you who despite not being there guessing on so many things!...
You are also guessing, so your counterattack is ironic. Your original claim is still false. Why is it that you can't admit that you can be wrong?

You post false information because you equate your assumptions with fact. If they are only assumptions, label them as such rather than making a declaration that could be, and was in this case, false. "Anything over 2K you have to fill out the forms" is a false statement, and misleading to others.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
31 USC 5325 requires recordkeeping and reporting for purchases of money order with (a) currency or (b) monetary instruments prescribed by the Treasury Secretary.
For the audience, the relevant quote from §5325 is
"a transaction or group of such contemporaneous transactions which involves United States coins or currency (or such other monetary instruments as the Secretary may prescribe) in amounts or denominations of $3,000." (emphasis mine).
However, the Secretary hasn't so prescribed. Here's what the C.F.R. says (i.e. what the Secretary has prescribed):
"No financial institution may issue or sell a bank check or draft, cashier's check, money order or traveler's check for $3,000 or more in currency unless it maintains records of the following information, which must be obtained for each issuance or sale of one or more of these instruments to any individual purchaser which involves currency in amounts of $3,000-$10,000" (emphasis mine).
31 CFR 1010.415.

So, no recordkeeping requirement either. Full stop.

But you have a point, Wally World can do whatever the heck it wants (or whatever its lawyers tell it to). So, MSers are going to be confronted businesses that want to keep records of their transactions. My point is simply that:
Originally Posted by andyandy
31 U.S.C. 5324 does not prohibit structuring to avoid a SAR. Section 5324 prohibits structuring to evade the requirements of either 5313 (CTR) or 5325 (ID required for currency purchase of monetary instruments), while SARs are governed by 5318(g).
Andyandy
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:23 am

This is not a matter of "squirrely" Walmart associates filling out random forms based on their personal interpretation of the law. IME it's a corporate-level mandate when it comes to purchases of money orders with either cash or debit cards. I know of at least one other major grocery chain that has the same policy hardcoded into their registers.
All is "squirrely" when the registers are not hard coded.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:59 am

You are also guessing,
I wasn't blindly guessing as you did. You were not there, you had no clue what operator told me, you could not see them, their body language, the outcome yet you had gumption to call me foolish and stubborn. So accept it and move on instead of being real stubborn and foolish now

is a false statement, and misleading to others.
Always do your homework, nobody owes you triple blind randomized clinical trial quality of information here for free. AND you are not giving that to anyone.

If they are only assumptions, label them as such rather than making a declaration that could be, and was in this case, false.
I will do what I have to do. But one advice, never use abusive language. You could say the same thing in a nice way and it would have traveled lot further.

Last edited by nfpa70e; Feb 10, 2016 at 1:27 pm
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:21 pm

I conjectured that there may be a coding in the terminal to ask for ID when the transaction is over certain amount.
terminal automatically asks when the MO transaction exceeds $2999.99

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.