FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   AmEx Prepaid Campus Edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1419997-amex-prepaid-campus-edition.html)

ACVid Sep 27, 2014 10:59 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries (Post 23564661)
Just got my Campus Edition in the mail on Saturday. I'm lucky enough (for a variety of reasons) to have an academic job with a B&N Campus bookstore about a 2 minute walk from my office. Tested out the first $500 CC load today with no problem.

Fortunately I have a MoneyPass ATM near my house as well, so at least one fee-free ATM withdrawal a month.

I did not know that withdrawal from a MoneyPass ATM is free! I know that AMEX won't charge for one withdrawal/month, but there is always a surcharge/fee charged by the ATM. The cheapest ATM I am able to find charged me $2. Costco is very far from where I live.

zgrzfg Sep 27, 2014 11:26 am

tried to load my card in the store which is supposed a campus store (located in a community college) and the cashier never heard about it and refused to even try it:mad:.

ACVid Sep 27, 2014 11:58 am

Originally Posted by zgrzfg (Post 23590305)
tried to load my card in the store which is supposed a campus store (located in a community college) and the cashier never heard about it and refused to even try it:mad:.

I also had the same situation the first time i went to load. I draw cashier's attention to the large poster advertising the campus card next to the rack filled with temp AMEX Campus card and told her its exactly the same card, only permanent. She had to call the manager who also had to look up how to do the load. She told this was the first time they have loaded the permanent card.

payeco Sep 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by zgrzfg (Post 23590305)

Cashiers at my closest store had no idea either. I had the same experience as though poster above, they had a big poster and rack of them right next to the check out counter. I said its one of those. She called over a supervisor and I heard the supervisor say "maybe it's the reload button ... Yep, I guess that's it". So ask them to either call a supervisor, press the reload button or both.

XP1 Oct 8, 2014 6:29 am

I got approved. When I click the verification link in the email, I get the error:

"We are sorry but we are unable to verify your e-mail address. This may have been caused due to lack of connectivity. Click here to have a new e-mail address verification link sent to your e-mail address on file."

I tried re-sending the verification email with a new link, but the new link doesn't work either.

roki Oct 8, 2014 9:39 am

I went to my local bn campus bookstore, and none of them had even heard of it. The manager went to "call the regional" and came back about 2 minutes later and said they had never heard of it.

I printed off the "How to Load" section from the Amex Website, as well as the "BN Campus Store" list showing they are a store, and I'm going to give it another go.

I might try asking about the reload button--saying I talked to AMEX and that was their recommendation.

Edit: If anyone would be so kind as to provide instructions that might help the cashiers, that would be appreciated.

dublin487 Oct 8, 2014 9:42 am

Originally Posted by XP1 (Post 23644055)
I got approved. When I click the verification link in the email, I get the error:

"We are sorry but we are unable to verify your e-mail address. This may have been caused due to lack of connectivity. Click here to have a new e-mail address verification link sent to your e-mail address on file."

I tried re-sending the verification email with a new link, but the new link doesn't work either.

I had the same problem, and never got it resolved, but by account works fine, so I guess don't worry about it unless you have a problem

ACVid Oct 8, 2014 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by roki (Post 23645012)
I went to my local bn campus bookstore, and none of them had even heard of it. The manager went to "call the regional" and came back about 2 minutes later and said they had never heard of it.

I printed off the "How to Load" section from the Amex Website, as well as the "BN Campus Store" list showing they are a store, and I'm going to give it another go.

I might try asking about the reload button--saying I talked to AMEX and that was their recommendation.

Edit: If anyone would be so kind as to provide instructions that might help the cashiers, that would be appreciated.

If you don't see a big poster, advertising this card, inside or immediately outside the B&N campus bookstore, chances are they are not a participating store.

fr33b13 Oct 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries (Post 23564661)
Just got my Campus Edition in the mail on Saturday. I'm lucky enough (for a variety of reasons) to have an academic job with a B&N Campus bookstore about a 2 minute walk from my office. Tested out the first $500 CC load today with no problem.

Fortunately I have a MoneyPass ATM near my house as well, so at least one fee-free ATM withdrawal a month.

Where did you see that MoneyPass ATM's don't charge a fee to take withdraw money?

Originally Posted by roki (Post 23645012)

Tell them to hit the button that says GPRS or GRPS reload. That's what my cashier told me.

Can any of you log into the Amex Campus website? I'm trying to log in to see my balance, but I get a white screen after entering my user ID and password

guywhocan Oct 27, 2014 10:02 am

B&N bookstores:
Rutgers New Brunswick - they do not load Campus edition cards
Kean U - no loading
Bloomfield coll - no loading
TCNJ - yes

Anyone have other data points? FL, NY, NJ, CT, PA, CA, HA?

mrmandel Oct 27, 2014 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by fr33b13 (Post 23667652)
Where did you see that MoneyPass ATM's don't charge a fee to take withdraw money?

I tried a Moneypass ATM today. No dice.

Originally Posted by fr33b13 (Post 23667652)
Tell them to hit the button that says GPRS or GRPS reload. That's what my cashier told me.

Thank you, these were the magic words. Blew the cashier's mind.

ftomasze Oct 28, 2014 12:01 am

Originally Posted by guywhocan (Post 23743468)
B&N bookstores:
Kean U - no loading
TCNJ - yes

Rutgers / Camden County B&N in Camden loads.

fr33b13 Oct 28, 2014 5:19 am

Originally Posted by mrmandel (Post 23747151)
I tried a Moneypass ATM today. No dice.

Thank you, these were the magic words. Blew the cashier's mind.

Glad I could help. Are you able to log into your account online?

fr33b13 Oct 28, 2014 6:18 am

Originally Posted by guywhocan (Post 23743468)
B&N bookstores:
Kean U - no loading
TCNJ - yes

Originally Posted by ftomasze (Post 23747732)
Rutgers / Camden County B&N in Camden loads.

http://www.bncollege.com/college-partners/ lists participating stores. all the ones I've been to on that list worked out for me

wanymayold Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm

AmEx Prepaid Campus Edition

I tried at my local store but failed.
The cashier was not familiar with the program but was willing to try.
However, he told me that the system gave him an error saying it can not load my card.(first time try to load it)
Tried again couple days later, same cashier with his boss. Failed again, same reason. Neither of them had any clue. They suggested me to call Amex.
I called Amex later, the agent told me that my card is fine. He believe this store is unwilling to let me reload money and I should buy greendot instead. :-(

Will try another store later. Hopefully, it will work there.