FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Home Depot / Lowes Gift Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1283034-home-depot-lowes-gift-cards.html)

infamousdx Jan 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69 (Post 17853451)
Very true, my local Post Office said they haven't had them in months. They said you can do all your address changes online, so they won't be getting anymore. And I got about $1500 to spend next month at Home Depot. :rolleyes:

You can just fill it out and get yourself a printable one (that works online as well).

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registration_253641591_

N_Phoenix Jan 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by bitachu (Post 17494139)
also keep in mind that you can go to safeways or other supermarket and buy the gift cards that way...some cards give you 2x points on supermarket purchases..although i'm guessing you want a major shopping portal deal..did u look at evreward yet?

I'll add to this since the thread was bumped. You also get 2x the safeway gas points on gift cards (it was 4x over the holidays). So you can rack up the gas points if you need gift cards and have a safeway gas station around. I've been buying gas $1 cheaper per 30 gallons the last few months.

I also use my Amex hilton for 6x the HH points.

JudyJFLA Jan 20, 2012 2:14 pm

You can also buy the Amex Gift cards thru BigCrumbs for the rebate and then use the gift card at some of the card discount portals like Plastic Jungle for usually a 9% discount on the card. Then find a veteran or VA card holder ( I am a disabled Veteran) to make the purchase and get another 10% off. By doing this and using my grandfathered Travelocity Amex that gives 4% back it totals 24.6% discount.

JudyJFLA

onthego15 Jan 20, 2012 2:17 pm

I use my AMEX Blue Cash Preferred to buy Lowe's or Home Depot gift cards at local grocery stores and get 6% cash back.

Jlove Jan 23, 2012 8:49 am

Originally Posted by jjmiller69 (Post 17853451)
Very true, my local Post Office said they haven't had them in months. They said you can do all your address changes online, so they won't be getting anymore. And I got about $1500 to spend next month at Home Depot. :rolleyes:

I think the post office may be trying to minimize paperwork/labor, and encourage the diy/on-line approach to address changes.
My local post office does not have any address change forms sitting out with all the other forms, but will give you one (or more) if you ask.
The on-line form doesn't work for post office boxes, so have to use paper forms.
Try another post office, another employee, or try back later.

guera Jan 23, 2012 9:25 am

Lowe's discount

The last time I ordered a Lowe's gift card through Plastic Jungle the discount was 7%. It came in the form of a mechandise credit on a plastic card.

sam_goh Jan 23, 2012 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by LGA (Post 17853289)
Any updated experiences with this...? I saw that a FTer recently got US miles for a HD GC purchase... I see that the AA mall excludes HD GCs from getting miles, but I wonder if anyone slips through that exclusion...

Honestly, I don't see why you would want to go through a portal to buy Lowes or Home Depot gift cards. Most portals do not count gift card purchases (some like corporateperks.com used to but no longer) or like Bigcrumbs are for a small percentage. The 6% Amex Bluecash works well at my local Kroger's but that's normally my backup.

Instead, 7.2 or 9% off at sites like Plastic Jungle or Cardpool make the most sense. Along with the minimum 1% you'll earn using a CC to purchase, that's way better than any shopping portal. Like others have mentioned, stack a 10% off and you'll be doing great.

YMMV but you can stack and negotiate your way to great deals. E.g. on any appliance, I waited for a competitor to run a minimum 30% off sale. Take it to Lowes for a 110% pricematch. Ask them to save the price in the computer and then checkout at the main counter, where you get the cashier to use the 10% coupon (this is because they will deny pricematch + coupon at appliance dept). Pay with cardpool sourced cards and save an additional 7.2% while getting 1% back on your credit card. Yes it's a lot of work but I'm cheap :)

Also, the e-gift cards CAN be redeemed in store, the cashier just has to manually enter the card/pin. Whether they will depend on how nice you are, so be courteous!

jjmiller69 Jan 24, 2012 9:47 am

Originally Posted by infamousdx (Post 17853472)
You can just fill it out and get yourself a printable one (that works online as well).

http://www.lowes.com/cd_Coupon+Registration_253641591_

I sent for one. I'll also check again Jlove. Thanks to both of you. :)

Astrophsx Jan 24, 2012 10:09 am

Originally Posted by sam_goh (Post 17875380)

Instead, 7.2 or 9% off at sites like Plastic Jungle or Cardpool make the most sense. Along with the minimum 1% you'll earn using a CC to purchase, that's way better than any shopping portal. Like others have mentioned, stack a 10% off and you'll be doing great.

There is a problem with this method in that the supplies at sites like the ones you listed are often very limited. I am not sure what type of volume they would have of hardware store gift cards.

rtraveler Jul 17, 2012 7:50 am

I was going to buy $1,000 worth of gift cards at Lowes through UR for the 10x points until I saw this:

"Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents. Not eligible using promo codes that aren't listed on this site."

Does anyone know a way around this? I need to buy $1,000 worth of paint but I don't want to buy the paint online. But I do want to make the purchase online through Chase Ultimate Rewards for the 10x points, which would net me 10,000 points for a $1k purchase.

ricohitman Jul 17, 2012 7:55 am

If you have the ink bold card you can go to office depot or staples and buy lowes gift cards up to $200 increments. Then go through the UR mall and use those gift cards, but YOU MUST PAY FOR A PORTION OF THE PURCHASE WITH A CREDIT CARD IN ORDER TO GET THE POINTS. Frequent Miler went over this in his blog.

rtraveler Jul 17, 2012 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman (Post 18946175)
If you have the ink bold card you can go to office depot or staples and buy lowes gift cards up to $200 increments. Then go through the UR mall and use those gift cards, but YOU MUST PAY FOR A PORTION OF THE PURCHASE WITH A CREDIT CARD IN ORDER TO GET THE POINTS. Frequent Miler went over this in his blog.

I don't have the Ink Bold card, but that is the next CC on my list to get.

echip Jul 17, 2012 8:30 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler (Post 18946153)
I was going to buy $1,000 worth of gift cards at Lowes through UR for the 10x points until I saw this:

"Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents. Not eligible using promo codes that aren't listed on this site."

Does anyone know a way around this? I need to buy $1,000 worth of paint but I don't want to buy the paint online. But I do want to make the purchase online through Chase Ultimate Rewards for the 10x points, which would net me 10,000 points for a $1k purchase.

Remember pick up the 10% Lowes coupon at the post office. But not sure if you can use it online though.

mia Jul 17, 2012 8:35 am

Lowe's credit card:

http://www262.americanexpress.com/bu...dit-card/29790

sweetz_21_83 Jul 17, 2012 8:46 am

Originally Posted by echip (Post 18946417)
Remember pick up the 10% Lowes coupon at the post office. But not sure if you can use it online though.

You can use the coupon online, but I don't know if it negates the points earned through portals.