FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Home Depot / Lowes Gift Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1283034-home-depot-lowes-gift-cards.html)

marben Nov 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Home Depot / Lowes Gift Cards

Flyertalkers,

I'm planning a renovation project for my home that will most likely go through home depot. I think it will be around 20k (hardwood floors). I don't think its possible to purchase hardwood floors through the web site. Is there a shopping portal left that will give points for home depot gift cards?

marben

aviator33 Nov 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Right now Discover card is offering, as a special, 10X points on purchases made through their shopping portal. Chase has its regular offer of 5X points through Ultimate Rewards.

You can purchase gift cards for Lowe's or Home Depot at a 7.2% or 8.2% discount respectively on cardpool.com. Denominations vary. There is no expiration. You can get either paper gift cards, mobile gift cards or electronic gift cards. Snail mail takes a week or more for paper. The electronic gift cards are usable only on-line and are generally available next day. Mobile gift cards are delivered almost instantaneously. There are a couple other discount card websites but cardpool seems to be best for selection as well as discount.

An additional way to save is to purchase 10% discount vouchers on ebay which are generally for Lowes but readily accepted at Home Depot under their competitor match policy. The vouchers usually expire in 1-2 months. I've purchased batches of them several times for a recently completed project. 7 10% off Lowes vouchers usually cost about $2-$5 dollars, shipping included.

EBay also offers gift cards at a discount but I've never purchased them there.

bitachu Nov 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by marben (Post 17493424)
Flyertalkers,

I'm planning a renovation project for my home that will most likely go through home depot. I think it will be around 20k (hardwood floors). I don't think its possible to purchase hardwood floors through the web site. Is there a shopping portal left that will give points for home depot gift cards?

marben

also keep in mind that you can go to safeways or other supermarket and buy the gift cards that way...some cards give you 2x points on supermarket purchases..although i'm guessing you want a major shopping portal deal..did u look at evreward yet?

nissan720 Nov 21, 2011 5:30 pm

The Lowes 10% off vouchers are free if you are willing to drive down to your local post office and get a couple of change of address packets.

They also come with a 10% off at best buy coupon (with several restrictions) and many other coupons.

Surface Interval Nov 21, 2011 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by marben (Post 17493424)
Flyertalkers,

marben

I did a similar project about a year ago. Not quite as big as $20k worth, but as you already know hardwood floors add up fast. I was in the same situation - trying to maximize miles. Home depot looked like the one to go with. That is, until I discovered that miles are miles and dollars are the things that really matter. Long story short: I wound up buying them online from truehardwoods.com and saved nearly 50% over the exact same item that I had found at Home Depot. Certainly worth looking into if money is important to you.

millere2 Nov 21, 2011 6:37 pm

After you look around first which I suggest then yes use the 10% off coupon from the post office change of address form. You can ask for a few packs when you are there. The coupon is for savings up to $500 so you can split up your purchase to maximize it. Also if you sign up for the lowes credit card (I don't think there is a sign up bonus) you will then save another 5% everyday there.

lunettes noires Nov 21, 2011 9:52 pm

I am getting flooring from Lumber Liquidators. Was about to place order through lumberliquidators.com/Chase UR mall, but the style I wanted was out of stock at the warehouse, so I ended up having to call my local store to secure what they had in stock. Not a big loss (they were only 1 extra mile/$) and as it turns out, the store appears to have disappeared from the UR mall this week anyway!

eknock007 Nov 23, 2011 11:57 am

I too would look at the benefit of cost savings vs maximizing miles. We almost bought our laminate flooring from Home Depot at 5x pts/$. The flooring we wanted would have cost us around $3500. That would have netted us around 17,500 miles/points. But instead we went through another flooring online retailer and paid around $2300 total including shipping. We got some points for the purchase but most importantly we save over $1200. So trading in 17,500 miles/points for $1200 was a no-brainer.

UNHBuzzard Nov 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by millere2 (Post 17494418)
After you look around first which I suggest then yes use the 10% off coupon from the post office change of address form. You can ask for a few packs when you are there. The coupon is for savings up to $500 so you can split up your purchase to maximize it. Also if you sign up for the lowes credit card (I don't think there is a sign up bonus) you will then save another 5% everyday there.

I went to the office about 3-4 months ago to get some of the forms, they said I could use their kiosk (computer based) and do it online, supposedly they don't have the forms anymore? YMMV.

Astrophsx Nov 23, 2011 3:22 pm

Read the rules when purchasing gift cards from online shopping portals for cash back or points/miles to make sure that purchasing gift cards qualify. You may be better off purchasing the gift cards from a grocery store with a card that offers more points, but I don't think you'll be able to find anywhere near $20k worth of gift cards at grocery stores or at online gift card resellers.

crabbing Nov 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Bigcrumbs sells home depot gift cards for a very small percentage, for either physical or emailed gift cards. If you're certain that you'll use HD, that's a good way to go.

Astrophsx Nov 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by crabbing (Post 17505994)
Bigcrumbs sells home depot gift cards for a very small percentage, for either physical or emailed gift cards. If you're certain that you'll use HD, that's a good way to go.

Bigcrumbs lists HomeDepot.com as 0% cash back on gift cards.

careh Nov 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Your home depot may take the Lowes 10% of card. Ask and see. Then you could combine the 10% off with the Home Depot Gift Cards. I picked up movers packets at a small post office last week - so if the one you go to says use the terminal - try a smaller post office that may not have a terminal.

LGA Jan 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Any updated experiences with this...? I saw that a FTer recently got US miles for a HD GC purchase... I see that the AA mall excludes HD GCs from getting miles, but I wonder if anyone slips through that exclusion...

jjmiller69 Jan 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by careh (Post 17507039)
Your home depot may take the Lowes 10% of card. Ask and see. Then you could combine the 10% off with the Home Depot Gift Cards. I picked up movers packets at a small post office last week - so if the one you go to says use the terminal - try a smaller post office that may not have a terminal.

Very true, my local Post Office said they haven't had them in months. They said you can do all your address changes online, so they won't be getting anymore. And I got about $1500 to spend next month at Home Depot. :rolleyes: