Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

[Combined]The Return of the Dollar Coin?/Mint suspends production

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Combined]The Return of the Dollar Coin?/Mint suspends production

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
It was great while it lasted, now we all need something new to obsess about, at least I do!!!

JudyJFLA
Old Dec 15, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
NPR Planet Money

NPR Planet Money has a Podcast [dated 13/12] on the subject.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2011/...coins-are-done

GBM
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
The only reason the dollar coins are of any interest to Fters was the miles that could be earned with 'em.
Speak for yourself.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:29 am

This was awesome while it lasted, sad to see it go.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by GrizShel
I was circulating them and would be circulating more if they'd still let me order them without charge and with a credit card.
I was circulating them...right to the bank ^
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
I actually like the idea of the coins instead of dollars. The problem is the weight. Way too heavy. Ultimately we would all be paying Dr. bills down the line for back problems!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
There are a number of strong reasons against $1 and $2 coins.

1) The $1 bill is essentially a universal symbol for money the world over. I have seen advertisements in foreign countries that use USA $1 as the money being displayed (even though they have their own currency).

2) There is a lobby for retaining George Washington on the face of the dollar, and if they switch to a dollar coin the mint will likely not continue that as he is already on the quarter.

3) It's not just some small retailers who don't want the conversion to coins, it's everyone with a cash register. There are slots for the current count of bill and coin denominations, and a change will mean everyone will have to change theirs.

4) The Bureau of Engraving and Printing wouldn't like it either as that is the majority of their printing business gone completely.

5) A lot of people don't like the coins because they end up being a heavy weight to have to carry, and set off metal detectors.

Frankly, it's not even necessary. Australia has spearheaded the move to switch paper-based bills to polymer based bills ("plastic") so they last much longer. A number of countries have followed suit as it has proven to work very well.

Steve32
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
Even though the decision to end the dollar coin won't make a real difference in my life, I am sad to see them go. I had gotten used to them through the Mint's coins-for-miles program and still use them when I can. Of course even though there are plenty still floating around out there, this means that now they're going to be hoarded even more than usual by the "if it's different, it must be worth something" crowd.

Actaully what I don't like about this decision is that it brings out the crank in me and makes me wonder if Americans freak out over using a dollar coin, how will they react when faced with a real hardship and how much of the current financial climate is down to people unwilling to adapt and change.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:50 pm

So what did people do back in 1976? At that time, the quarter was worth the same as a $1 bill is now. Did people complain about the weight of the coins and lobby for a 25c note?

The rational thing to do is get rid of the $1 note and the 1c coin (getting rid of the penny avoids the cash drawer problem). In other words, it will never happen.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Armin Tamzarian
Even though the decision to end the dollar coin won't make a real difference in my life, I am sad to see them go. I had gotten used to them through the Mint's coins-for-miles program and still use them when I can. Of course even though there are plenty still floating around out there, this means that now they're going to be hoarded even more than usual by the "if it's different, it must be worth something" crowd.

Actaully what I don't like about this decision is that it brings out the crank in me and makes me wonder if Americans freak out over using a dollar coin, how will they react when faced with a real hardship and how much of the current financial climate is down to people unwilling to adapt and change.
Seeingg how almmost every other country uses a coin instead of paper for $1, I dont know why we cant. Of course we are probably the only civilized nation not on the metric system either.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Seeingg how almmost every other country uses a coin instead of paper for $1, I dont know why we cant. Of course we are probably the only civilized nation not on the metric system either.
we stay the wealthiest by NOT having the coin and NOT having the metric system! See, we confuse everybody and so they spend more here lol
Old Dec 16, 2011, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
we stay the wealthiest by NOT having the coin and NOT having the metric system! See, we confuse everybody and so they spend more here lol
Lol
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:11 am

resurrecting a grand time in this fine forum's history.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by turnpike13
resurrecting a grand time in this fine forum's history.
This thread pre-dated the MS Forum by a couple of years.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several dozen
So now that someone has placed three X's on the tomb of Marie Laveau and this thread has risen as a zombie from the dead what new metal recycling opportunities are there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.