Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

Analysts suggest MH should shut down after failing to be profitable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Analysts suggest MH should shut down after failing to be profitable

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Originally Posted by Zawnet

Not sure what your news source was but this is just pure nonsense and has no credibility.
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
That's just a bunch of analysts saying it should. The government said no such thing

no more analysts, the prime minister have talked.

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian government is considering whether to shut, sell or refinance national carrier Malaysia Airlines, Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said on Tuesday (Mar 12).
The government was studying options for the national carrier, and a decision should be made “soon”, Mahathir said, when asked about suggestions by analysts that the airline be shut down or spun off.
"It is a very serious matter to shut down the airline," Mahathir told a news conference at parliament.
"We will nevertheless be studying and investigating as to whether we should shut it down or we should sell it off or we should refinance it. All these things are open for the government to decide."
The airline has been trying to transform its operations and return to profitability by 2019 as it recovers from two disasters in 2014, when flight MH370 disappeared in what remains a mystery and flight MH17 was shot down over eastern Ukraine.
Sovereign wealth fund Khazanah Nasional, which took Malaysia Airlines private in 2014, said the government needed to decide on its investment in, and level of support for, the struggling airline.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 13, 2019 at 4:38 am Reason: Merged two similar posts
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by jerrythegreat12
no more analysts, the prime minister have talked.
The PM was merely responding to a question about that analyst’s suggestion, saying nothing is being ruled out.

Very different from your initial post which is downright false and misleading.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:06 pm

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
I hope they continue as I find them to be a great airline and have several flights booked right up to Feb 20. They certainly don’t feel like a failing airline to me.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by R2
IMHO it's not particularly smart for a person in such an influential position to openly discuss the possibility of shutting down the airline. Just like the previous poster writes, this is a great way of driving down future bookings and ticket sales.

certainly stopped me making a new booking in business from London. keeping my fingers crossed for my return flight this year.

this announcement could be the kiss of death
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:06 pm

I'm not sure if it's downright false and misleading but actually the likelihood of them shutting down the flag carrier is almost zero. Can you imagine Singapore Airlines (which along with MAS came from Malaysia-Singapore Airlines) being the only major carrier for those two nations? The stick that Mahatir would have to endure would be unbearable for him. Also, you just have to look at those great state car companies - Proton and Perodua to see what the Malaysian state does for failing companies.
GalaxyChris and windchaser777 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
The PM was merely responding to a question about that analyst’s suggestion, saying nothing is being ruled out.
This bears re-quoting to all the talk of shutting down.

Following from SQTraveller's point: regardless of how good (or bad, if more appropriate) they may be, Tony Fernandez's AirAsia and Lion... er, Malindo Air cannot fill the national carrier role.
GalaxyChris likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 12, 2019 at 10:37 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: Enrich
Personally while AirAsia doing great, but I won't fly them unless they are the sole service provider to the destination that oneworld carrier cannot fill my need. Mainly due to the hand carry (inconsistent) policy issue and one very bad experience in luggage delay. And Malindo Air reservation system and overall customer service just completely pissed me off few months back...

For connecting from international to Malaysia domestic, I don't think these two Airlines can do an average job.

Just don't forget that if MH is shutdown, that's mean MASwing most likely gone too, so say sorry to all remote sarawakian and sabahan.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:50 am

I personally avoid AA and never flown with them in Malaysia. Looked at fare for a flight in Thailand last year and to checkin my bag was nearly as much as the train fare , no meal no leg room and when I went through the booking process out of interest up to the pay page suddenly the price had gone up and had to find what to uncheck - what a con. Flew with Thai Smile instead and very happy with them.

As for long haul with AA no thank you

i have seen a lot of criticism of MAS but my business class experience has been all positive. However if like Etihad they cut back the quality they will loose bums on seats then have to lower prices, cut costs loose more bums... a never ending downward spiral
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by amnicoll
I personally avoid AA and never flown with them in Malaysia.
You can, but they are merely codeshares with MH - I bought one some years back but that connected to a JL Longhaul coupled with another AA domestic leg. By and large though, MH prime numbers are easier to purchase.

As for long haul, i don't think they're bad at all since the refits. Probably below CX TPAC, but they're usually keenly priced.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
AA is American Airlines and AK is Airasia Malaysia. Problem is Malaysian gov has no money and will liquidate anything at this point to survive. The Japan bonds have flopped and treasury is empty.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by dici
Personally while AirAsia doing great, but I won't fly them unless they are the sole service provider to the destination that oneworld carrier cannot fill my need. Mainly due to the hand carry (inconsistent) policy issue and one very bad experience in luggage delay. And Malindo Air reservation system and overall customer service just completely pissed me off few months back...

For connecting from international to Malaysia domestic, I don't think these two Airlines can do an average job.

Just don't forget that if MH is shutdown, that's mean MASwing most likely gone too, so say sorry to all remote sarawakian and sabahan.
I think for that reason alone the govt won't close MH. Imagine pissing all the Sabahans and Sarawakians and telling them to relive the days of FAX - it's a good way out of the door for Dr. M.
D
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:06 pm

certainly stopped me making a new booking in business from London. keeping my fingers crossed for my return flight this year.
On the contrary. You SHOULD book. The worst that can happen is if MH does shut down, they are obliged to put you on alternative airlines that are likely to be more expensive your time of booking, so huge savings are in store.

Failing which you can always dispute with your credit card and get a full refund.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice

On the contrary. You SHOULD book. The worst that can happen is if MH does shut down, they are obliged to put you on alternative airlines that are likely to be more expensive your time of booking, so huge savings are in store.

Failing which you can always dispute with your credit card and get a full refund.
not sure if they would be obliged to rebook if they close down but yes could get a refund from credit card but then be faced with significantly more expensive alternative

my mistake above I was talking about Air Asia not American Airlines although would always try and avoid all the US carriers
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
I think for that reason alone the govt won't close MH. Imagine pissing all the Sabahans and Sarawakians and telling them to relive the days of FAX - it's a good way out of the door for Dr. M.
D
MasWings isn't much better on reliability than FAX either. It's so bad that AK is even flying routes in Sabah & Sarawak that MasWings has pulled out of ie: KCH - BTU - KCH

The Rural Air Services (RAS) are subsidized anyway, so Govt is just giving money to itself to waste. If you've been to Mulu, its common for tourists to arrive on ATR, while the locals there have some sort of airlift from TUDM choppers. Just to show how inconvenient / incompetent MasWings is in meeting the needs of East Malaysians.

IMHO, MasWings if it's really wants to assist the people, should look into operating amphibians. Most towns/cities/kampungs are located along rivers so they could really land in the heart of each place. Compared to current method of driving 20-30 minutes to the airport, for a 30 minute flight ... and another 30 minute from destination airport into town; and the current network is limited by airport .. no such issue if you can land on the river, thus helping to open up the heartland of Sabah & Sarawak.

my mistake above I was talking about Air Asia not American Airlines although would always try and avoid all the US carriers
not sure what's wrong with US Carriers ? In it's current state I find AA more welcoming than MH , especially how frequent fliers on AA actually get seat upgrades.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:59 am

Nothing more to say on this particular topic:
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...n-eng-11340244
Malaysia's Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng has given his assurance that the government is not going to close down Malaysia Airlines.
There is still going to be some hard work to get MH back to its better days.

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 14, 2019 at 11:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.