Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Malaysia Airlines | Enrich
Reload this Page >

MH New aircraft orders... and seating for A350

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Looks like they will keep F class on the A350 but only reduced to one row

https://www.ausbt.com.au/malaysia-ai...eing-787-order
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Are they using Vantage (on MH 330) or Vantage XL (on QF 330) for the 350s?

And in the article, Bellew mentioned that India, Bali and Hong Kong will be upgraded to the new leased widebody when they get it. I noticed that 1 of the 3 daily DPS flights has already been upgauged to 330 for summer. ^
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by nov11
Are they using Vantage (on MH 330) or Vantage XL (on QF 330) for the 350s?

And in the article, Bellew mentioned that India, Bali and Hong Kong will be upgraded to the new leased widebody when they get it. I noticed that 1 of the 3 daily DPS flights has already been upgauged to 330 for summer. ^
MH is already flying 1 of the 3 daily flights to Hong Kong with A330.

By the way, are the A330s all refurbished with the new J seats?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by SLGO
By the way, are the A330s all refurbished with the new J seats?
Yes - if you aren't in a rush, then booking the business class seats well in advance for a SIN transfer gets you 80 CXMP points for around HK $5k - quite a good deal (around $60 per point).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by SLGO
MH is already flying 1 of the 3 daily flights to Hong Kong with A330.
Yes and I think they want a second or maybe all 3 flights on A333.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
TPE could do with a widebodied service too. My last flight in Jan was a full load .. and the check in agent said that it was almost an every day occurrence for the flight to both KUL and BKI. Mind you, Air Asia flies the A330 to TPE and it was sort of embarrassing to see the 737-800 pull up next to Air Asia X's aircraft at the gate.

Hopefully that would also open up direct widebodied services from / to Penang. MH does not have any other destinations to/from Penang other than KL. Those were the days when there was a direct 744 service from LHR to KL via Penang. And then one can buy a ticket between Penang and KL. Must be the shortest 747 service around then...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, VS Gold, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
TPE could do with a widebodied service too. My last flight in Jan was a full load .. and the check in agent said that it was almost an every day occurrence for the flight to both KUL and BKI. Mind you, Air Asia flies the A330 to TPE and it was sort of embarrassing to see the 737-800 pull up next to Air Asia X's aircraft at the gate.

Hopefully that would also open up direct widebodied services from / to Penang. MH does not have any other destinations to/from Penang other than KL. Those were the days when there was a direct 744 service from LHR to KL via Penang. And then one can buy a ticket between Penang and KL. Must be the shortest 747 service around then...
Bellew did mention in a CAPA article he wanted more wide bodies and less narrows - and that there are many wide bodies getting offloaded by other majors but he is waiting for the lease price to get a bit lower with all the overcapacity of used aircrafts coming up, IIRC.

Personally I don't think it's a 'if' wide bodies start colonising all the longer intra-Asia routes, but a 'when'. Getting rid of their 772s made sense during the restructuring, but it did cause quite a dip in MH wide body capacity. It streamlined their fleet, but the A330 fleet really looked a bit small to cover things, especially if they were to go into expansion - which is now.

Also I think if they do have 738s left after getting in more wide bodies and Chinese flights, they should try to develop routes out of places like LGK, MYY, SBW, TWU to destinations like SIN - could make them some money if they avoid competing with AK head-on.

But ah well - at least things are getting rosier at MH!

Last edited by MeltingAlf; Mar 29, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
And then one can buy a ticket between Penang and KL. Must be the shortest 747 service around then...
Did the flight arrive in KUL as an international flight? How did they separate the international and domestic pax?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Did the flight arrive in KUL as an international flight? How did they separate the international and domestic pax?
Yes. All pax will disembark into the international arrivals hall and those domestic pax will need to show their BP and ID to the immigration officer and they'll just wave you through.

Very similar to those domestic flights that are part of an international flight in Australia/India.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
I'm not as optimistic on TPE's widebody prospects, though. CI and BR have multiple frequencies and US feed, while D7 pretty much suffices for the cheap ticket chasers. CAN on the other hand, was a 772 route before.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Enhancements
I'm not as optimistic on TPE's widebody prospects, though. CI and BR have multiple frequencies and US feed, while D7 pretty much suffices for the cheap ticket chasers. CAN on the other hand, was a 772 route before.
TPE was a 333 before too IIRC plus a red-eye 738 (or was it a double daily 738). CAN was 772 plus a red-eye 738 ex-CAN.

CI is just showing off It was a 747 before, now a 350 and soon a 77W plus 5 weekly 738.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris
I've flown MH7 LGK-KUL and it was as Nov11 says, deplane into the international arrivals, show ID and boarding pass to get waved through.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by nov11
TPE was a 333 before too IIRC plus a red-eye 738 (or was it a double daily 738). CAN was 772 plus a red-eye 738 ex-CAN.

CI is just showing off It was a 747 before, now a 350 and soon a 77W plus 5 weekly 738.
TPE was a double daily 737. MH408 KUL TPE in the middle of the night (which I dearly loved. There was a girl I used to see on this route every 3rd week when I was a regular on this service) returning as 409 in the morning, alongside the 366/367 today.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Yes - if you aren't in a rush, then booking the business class seats well in advance for a SIN transfer gets you 80 CXMP points for around HK $5k - quite a good deal (around $60 per point).
Thanks for your suggestion. That's what I did (twice) last year and at cheaper fare it would make a more pleasant jounrney if they operate A330 for the HKG segment !
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Is the A380 a waste for MH to use on the KUL-Beijing or KUL-TPE or KUL-HK route once a day vs the 350 or even 330?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.