FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Malaysia Airlines | Enrich (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich-758/)
-   -   MH 370 KUL-PEK Missing: 8 - 14 Mar 2014 UTC - ARCHIVE WEEK #1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/malaysia-airlines-enrich/1560814-mh-370-kul-pek-missing-8-14-mar-2014-utc-archive-week-1-a.html)

ksingh0311 Mar 7, 2014 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 (Post 22483694)
Not necessarily true. The plane could have been routed over Halong Bay after which point the electronics reported an error. Then, diverting course and flying due north would lead the plane to Nanning.

So praying this to be true...

Christian-SN Mar 7, 2014 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ffly (Post 22483681)
seems like thats really the case. great news!

http://malaysiandigest.com/frontpage...t-missing.html

"9:30am - (UNOFFICIAL) Flight MH370 has resurfaced and landed safely in Nanming, China. Early reports say that the aircraft had experienced a cockpit electronics malfunction.

As of this moment, the flight crew and all 239 passengers onboard are believed to be unharmed as some of the crew has already informed their families of their safety.

More updates to come."

I can't believe that to, in 8hours or so it should be possible to inform the airline about the landing. And in that case they would never had announced that they miss that flight.

boogaooga Mar 7, 2014 7:13 pm

I'm skeptical, first because it's Nanning, not Nanming. Second, because if they had electrical difficulties and lost contact about two hours into the flight, they presumably would have decided to fly *past* PNH, SGN, and HAN before diverting to a small airport in a minor city in China. Why?

Duke787 Mar 7, 2014 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 22483693)
10 hours later....? is the timeline accurate, I thought this incident was less than 5 hours old.... how does the math add up to 10 hours..?

Nothing about this adds up. It seems like there is some big piece of information that would tie everything together (either positively or tragically) that hasn't been released

worldtrav Mar 7, 2014 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73 (Post 22483661)
Unofficial reports that it has landed in Namming or Nanjing China due to radar failure per the guest comments in the facebook page post.

Goes to show that companies have to move at lightening speed to control information in today's world..

Let's hope that this is the case!!

It was last heard of 10+ hours ago, you don't think someone would know by now that it had landed?

ma91pmh Mar 7, 2014 7:14 pm

I am so hoping this is true and accurate.

chollie Mar 7, 2014 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Arabmoney (Post 22483682)
sounds like BS, 10 hours later? a plane doesnt go missing for that long. I wonder who hijacked it

Posters more knowledgeable than me might weigh in and explain how much time might have been lost trying to address the electronics failure (if that's possible, and how long it would take to go into backup mode (the paper maps pilots haul around with their manuals?) and what sort of course the plane might be flying while the pilots were working out a plan of action.

The issue of a suitable airport might possibly have been a factor. They need one big enough to safely land, within fuel range, but possibly not a very heavily tracked one if they are unable to communicate.

Tsun Mar 7, 2014 7:14 pm

I agree. Even in case of total airplane communication systems failure, surely even in the smallest airport there must be a landline or Internet link, allowing to notify the airline.

Earthlings Mar 7, 2014 7:15 pm

It is Daylight now in Asia, hope and pray for survivors.

Dieuwer Mar 7, 2014 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Arabmoney (Post 22483682)
sounds like BS, 10 hours later? a plane doesnt go missing for that long. I wonder who hijacked it

Maybe there is some time zone calculation error.

bugsy Mar 7, 2014 7:16 pm

"9:30am - (UNOFFICIAL) Flight MH370 has resurfaced and landed safely in Nanming, China. Early reports say that the aircraft had experienced a cockpit electronics malfunction.

As of this moment, the flight crew and all 239 passengers onboard are believed to be unharmed as some of the crew has already informed their families of their safety.

More updates to come."

While I am so hoping this is true, surely the airline would have updated their website/facebook page by now if it is. If the crew had informed their families, surely they would have also informed the company.

koreanair720 Mar 7, 2014 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88 (Post 22483703)
Nothing about this adds up. It seems like there is some big piece of information that would tie everything together (either positively or tragically) that hasn't been released

Sadly - and I sincerely hope I'm wrong - I'd say expect the worst at the 9:30 press conference.

mamb0 Mar 7, 2014 7:16 pm

More updates to come."

As much I wish for this to be true, what would this say about Chinese ATC and MH's communications procedure. Do you really believe they fail to check in with their OPC 7hrs after last contact?
I fear this is a mean hoax.
Although I would honestly love to be proven wrong.

LADELTA777 Mar 7, 2014 7:17 pm

I find it hard to believe, how can they keep a complete black out of news or contact for that length of time ?

Well unless the plane was hijacked and all the electronic devices were taken away by the hijackers which still very unlikely

dimramon Mar 7, 2014 7:18 pm

CNN now states on their front page that, according to the airline, the plane "likely ran out of fuel".

FlytheTail Mar 7, 2014 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Joe Schoomer (Post 22483662)

This is just a tasteless joke. Really sad when many lives have likely been lost.

Earthlings Mar 7, 2014 7:19 pm

Hope it wasn't hijacked.

Arabmoney Mar 7, 2014 7:19 pm

that news story sounds like a fake. Malaysia airlines have no idea where the plane is, with news stories like that they have to chase it up and see if its true.

chocolatemars Mar 7, 2014 7:20 pm

I cannot find any information regarding its landing in any Chinese media and I don't think Nanming is a city in China.

Earthlings Mar 7, 2014 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon (Post 22483738)
CNN now states on their front page that, according to the airline, the plane "likely ran out of fuel".

:(

Himeno Mar 7, 2014 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Arabmoney (Post 22483743)
that news story sounds like a fake. Malaysia airlines have no idea where the plane is, with news stories like that they have to chase it up and see if its true.

I agree. If an aircraft lost all comms and landed somewhere, the first thing they would do after securing the aircraft would be to contact HQ.

Aaron01 Mar 7, 2014 7:21 pm

10 hours, did they even have the fuel for a flight that long? I read they were carrying 7.5 hours worth of fuel.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/world/...ing/index.html

I don't think we should take anything from facebook or twitter as legitimate news.

Doc Savage Mar 7, 2014 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Earthlings (Post 22483741)
Hope it wasn't hijacked.

At this point I hope it WAS hijacked, landed, and China or whoever has a news blackout for negotiations, storming the plane, etc.

FlyIgglesFly Mar 7, 2014 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by chocolatemars (Post 22483745)
I cannot find any information regarding its landing in any Chinese media and I don't think Nanming is a city in China.

Nanning is, and roughly on the route.

TimeArrow Mar 7, 2014 7:22 pm

I hope I am wrong

but given the lack of information for a long time, and the sudden lost of contact, it may have been decomposed in the sky. Authorities know it.:(

Earthlings Mar 7, 2014 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Aaron01 (Post 22483751)
10 hours, did they even have the fuel for a flight that long? I read they were carrying 7.5 hours worth of fuel.

I don't think we should take anything from facebook or twitter as legitimate news.

Someone is going to lose their job over this. Didn't the pilots notice an hour or so before lost contact that there wasn't going to be enough fuel???

underpressure Mar 7, 2014 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Earthlings (Post 22483741)
Hope it wasn't hijacked.

Honestly.... hopefully it was and not a catastrophic failure.

Joe Schoomer Mar 7, 2014 7:24 pm

within one hour of take off?

Aaron01 Mar 7, 2014 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Earthlings (Post 22483764)
Someone is going to lose their job over this. Didn't the pilots notice an hour or so before lost contact that there wasn't going to be enough fuel???

KUL-PEK isn't 10 hours, someone upthread had mentioned they landed ~10 hours later. They should have had more than enough fuel for the scheduled route.

o mikros Mar 7, 2014 7:25 pm

What do you mean? They were reported to have ~7.5 hours' worth of fuel an hour before losing contact. Why wouldn't that be enough?

boogaooga Mar 7, 2014 7:25 pm

What I read said that CNN was reporting that IF the plane were still in the air it WOULD HAVE run out of fuel by now, not that it actually did. And not that it's exactly shocking that a plane on a 7-hour flight doesn't have a 10-hour fuel supply...

dsquared37 Mar 7, 2014 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by boogaooga (Post 22483702)
I'm skeptical, first because it's Nanning, not Nanming. Second, because if they had electrical difficulties and lost contact about two hours into the flight, they presumably would have decided to fly *past* PNH, SGN, and HAN before diverting to a small airport in a minor city in China. Why?

PNH basically shuts down after the KE/OZ flights depart around midnight. I'd guess SGN and HAN would be similar.

Waiting for the upcoming press conference but not expecting any good news. :(

Himeno Mar 7, 2014 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Aaron01 (Post 22483751)

That says that when they lost contact - 2h 40 mins into flight, there would have been about 7.5 hours worth of fuel remaining.

Earthlings Mar 7, 2014 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 22483752)
At this point I hope it WAS hijacked, landed, and China or whoever has a news blackout for negotiations, storming the plane, etc.

Where would the hijackers want to land? Borneo?

bubb1 Mar 7, 2014 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Joe Schoomer (Post 22483773)

The comment was that by this point in time, if the plane hasn't landed, it will almost certainly have run out of fuel based on what they loaded for the route. I don't think it was at all implying that there was some mistake in fuel loading...

dsquared37 Mar 7, 2014 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno (Post 22483779)
That says that when they lost contact - 2h 40 mins into flight, there would have been about 7.5 hours worth of fuel remaining.

And that length of flight time should have put them over Vietnam or Halong Bay I'd think.

allanak Mar 7, 2014 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Joe Schoomer (Post 22483773)

They mean by now it would have run out. Not cause for it being missing.

Open Jaw Mar 7, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm just praying for everyone. Every frequent flyer's worst fear.

alex_b Mar 7, 2014 7:27 pm

That isn't quite how I read it. In the context of having "7.5 hours of fuel" I think they mean it would have run out of fuel by now. But as they lost contact only 2hrs after takeoff it unfortunately seems unlikely it was still flying after that point.

lcpteck Mar 7, 2014 7:29 pm

Here's the data from Flightaware.