Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California
Reload this Page >

Palm Springs/Palm Desert/Indio/Indian Wells/Rancho BEST option?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

When The Lodge reopens as Ritz-Carlton, there might finally be an acceptable option in the desert. For now, where should I be staying when I have to be in that area? It seems everything demands an apology in at least one arena. Currently, I'm scheduled to go to a special event in Indian Wells, and I took on a suite at La Quinta's Legacy Villas. Is that a good place? It seems close and nice, but has questionable reviews.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ings-area.html

FYI RC is suspended, like most of their projects.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 6, 2009 at 3:52 pm
Old Jan 30, 2009, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

So I guess we're going with La Quinta...

How is Legacy Villas as opposed to La Quinta? The Trip Advisor reviews are questionable and spotty... Does any genuinely well traveled person out there have an opinion of how the villas fare? At ~$500 per night, one has to wonder if I'm getting a good value. p.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:57 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I had stayed at the Rancho Las Palmas for a conference in late September 2008 and I really enjoyed the property. Recently renovated I was quite impressed. The guest rooms are large and the suites are very nice. Service is quite good and it is close to 2 shopping malls with a variety of food options.

www.rancholaspalmas.com
Old Jan 30, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA, LH, BD
Originally Posted by luxury
I had stayed at the Rancho Las Palmas for a conference in late September 2008 and I really enjoyed the property. Recently renovated I was quite impressed. The guest rooms are large and the suites are very nice. Service is quite good and it is close to 2 shopping malls with a variety of food options.

www.rancholaspalmas.com
Have to disagree with my stay. Was there in May 08 and got given the wrong room key, directions to the wrong room, asked again sent to other side of property. Wrong again - shambles. quite of a lot of kids due to the water park ammenities - but still fun. The rooms are pretty decent. I felt the service was very poor in most aspects and wouldn't rush back. Obviously i may have been unlucky.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:23 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
The most interesting property in the desert is the Willows. A small, historic property with enormous charm. Very intimate and very private.

http://www.thewillowspalmsprings.com/index.html

And across the street is the best restaurant in the desert -- truly world class -- Le Vallauris. They will also deliver to your suite.

Here are the Trip Adviser reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html

No one was less than very happy. Good luck.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 1:08 am

We have a house in the area so it's a while since I actually stayed in any of the local hotels, but there's a fairly decent place across the road from the Hyatt / Renaissance complex in Indian Wells, which seems to be quite upscale, intimate and not overcrowded with kids. The only problem is I can't remember the name! We are there a year or so ago and it seems OK

Generally there are no really luxury places in the desert though. The Parker PS is quite funky and has good food and an EXCELLENT spa. That's probably where I'd choose to stay

Never heard of the hotel which is close to Le Valauris, but I totally second the recommendation of the restaurant. It's wonderful. PS Le St Germain in Indian Wells is its sister restaurant
Old Feb 1, 2009, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
We are going to Palm Springs at Easter. I spent ages looking at the various options and decided on Parker. We currently have 4 nights at the 4S Scottsdale and then 4 nights at Parker, although I have seen some negative reviews for the former, so may look for somewhere else in the Scottsdale area.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if google maps is right, looks like miramonte across from hyatt.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
if google maps is right, looks like miramonte across from hyatt.
that's the place.

used to be owned by Lucille Ball

It amazes me that there isn't an upscale hotel on El Paseo in Palm Desert
Old Feb 2, 2009, 1:30 pm
BLG

There really is no true 5 star in the desert. As I said above, the Willows is the most interesting if you would like a very personal, old Palm Springs experience. But it is not by any means a contemporary five star. If you want a more complete resort experience, then I think La Quinta (in spite of the critiques) is the best choice. Especially if you want to play golf. La Quinta is far and away the most picturesque of the big places, and has some charm. Watching sunsets from the patio of the Southwest restaurant there and sipping margaritas is definitely a good thing.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
We stayed at the Westin Mission Hills Resort - if you have a duplex room with a small private pool area it is pleasant - but not really five star.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 8:09 pm

I am going in a month to Palm Springs and the Grand Hyatt is sold out, so the next overall best 'large' resort seems to be the Westin Mission Hills.. is it pretty nice? The Parker and Viceroy seem too funky for my tastes.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:06 pm
BLG

Originally Posted by NewFlierCa
I am going in a month to Palm Springs and the Grand Hyatt is sold out, so the next overall best 'large' resort seems to be the Westin Mission Hills.. is it pretty nice? The Parker and Viceroy seem too funky for my tastes.
The Parker is totally generic and the Viceroy is old Palm Springs, but restored poorly from something that was never very exceptional and the service is problematic at best. There is no great choice.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by BLG
... the Viceroy is old Palm Springs, but restored poorly from something that was never very exceptional and the service is problematic at best. There is no great choice.
I second your opinion. The Viceroy was an old motel that the owners put some very tacky lipstick on. The rooms are horrible and noisy (the original doors and sliders make sure you will hear every sound from outside your room). Instead of properly renovating the bathrooms they sprayed that tacky coating over the old tile/tub. It is also a hang out for the Palm Springs bottom feeders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.