Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige Card 4th night free vs. Virtuoso travel agents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience with this card? It has a large annual fee ($450) but comes with an annual $250 air credit.

What seems to be the best thing about this card is that if you book through their travel agent (Carlson Wagonlit) you get the 4th night free in any hotel booking.

Assuming that you're staying in expensive hotels, just one free night would pay for the card. That is, say I have a room for $500/night. The annual fee is really $200 (450-250), but you save $500 on the room. You've saved $300 in booking on this card (500-200).

This assumes that CW can get the same rate as another agent of course.

If a hotel offers breakfast with the room anyway, that dilutes the benefit of booking with your Virtuoso agent I would assume. Maybe I'm better off buying my breakfast with my savings. In any event, not ordering the huge buffet is probably beneficial to my health/waist

Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something?

Do luxury TA's really want my business if all I do is book 5-7 nights per year?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:35 am

There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Having the option of the Citibank benefits or Amex FHR does not preclude making other bookings through a TA.

Virtuoso etc. is usually the best way to go, but on the other hand the Citibank program includes some hotels (mostly four star) that are not Virtuoso or FHR.

As you note, the card "pays for itself," so it's worth having even if you continue to book through your TA, which you should do IMHO.

TAs do want your business, especially if the booking is relatively substantial and is not overly complicated.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

You only get the benefits of the 4th night (consecutive) free if you use their travel agent, so you couldn't get that benefit if you use your travel agent.

However, I've seen some hotels that offer a 4th or 5th night free. I wonder if that would combine with using that card? Say the XYZ Hotel offers a "stay longer, 5th night free" package. Is that promotion able to be combined with the free 4th night from the Citi card?

I would have a hard time using this card benefit if I really needed advice from a travel agent, but if I know where I want to go...

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
There is no one-size-fits-all solution. Having the option of the Citibank benefits or Amex FHR does not preclude making other bookings through a TA.

Virtuoso etc. is usually the best way to go, but on the other hand the Citibank program includes some hotels (mostly four star) that are not Virtuoso or FHR.

As you note, the card "pays for itself," so it's worth having even if you continue to book through your TA, which you should do IMHO.

TAs do want your business, especially if the booking is relatively substantial and is not overly complicated.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by farbster
You only get the benefits of the 4th night (consecutive) free if you use their travel agent, so you couldn't get that benefit if you use your travel agent.

However, I've seen some hotels that offer a 4th or 5th night free. I wonder if that would combine with using that card? Say the XYZ Hotel offers a "stay longer, 5th night free" package. Is that promotion able to be combined with the free 4th night from the Citi card?

I would have a hard time using this card benefit if I really needed advice from a travel agent, but if I know where I want to go...
I was not suggesting that the benefits could be "stacked," but was saying that the fourth night free benefit may not yield the best value for any given booking.

It's very unlikely that this benefit would stack with other promotions, and the fourth night free offer may be based on a rate higher than BAR.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:06 am
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

I wasn't sure if that was what you were saying.

If you were paying a large amount for a room ($500 or $750 or $1,000+ per night), what other benefit would you want that you would forgo the free night? I like the free breakfast and sometimes the price of the breakfasts will be greater than the free night, but sometimes the free night is worth far more than the breakfast?

The real reason this has somewhat become a dilemma is that we're looking at a hotel that includes the breakfast. I'm usually sceptical about getting the "free upgrade if available". Sometimes the green club can take care of that anyway.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I was not suggesting that the benefits could be "stacked," but was saying that the fourth night free benefit may not yield the best value for any given booking.

It's very unlikely that this benefit would stack with other promotions, and the fourth night free offer may be based on a rate higher than BAR.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:37 am

I wasn't sure if that was what you were saying.

If you were paying a large amount for a room ($500 or $750 or $1,000+ per night), what other benefit would you want that you would forgo the free night? I like the free breakfast and sometimes the price of the breakfasts will be greater than the free night, but sometimes the free night is worth far more than the breakfast?

The real reason this has somewhat become a dilemma is that we're looking at a hotel that includes the breakfast. I'm usually sceptical about getting the "free upgrade if available". Sometimes the green club can take care of that anyway.
Sorry if I was not clear. FWIW I intend to get the Citi Prestige card myself, and have various other cards that offer travel benefits.

What I am saying is that on any given booking you would still have to weigh the 'fourth night free' offer against other rates and value added benefits available through TAs or other booking channels.

I could be wrong, but I think it is highly unlikely that the 'fourth night free' offer is based on the lowest publicly available flexible rate (BAR) offered by the hotel. It likely requires the payment of a higher rate for the first three nights, as such offers often do.

I would be amazed if, for example, this credit card could get you a complimentary fourth night at FS George V if you paid BAR for the first three nights.

Given all of the benefits and the $250 airline credit, this card easily pays for itself, regardless of whether or not you choose to book hotels through their travel agency.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

There is a pretty long thread about the 4th night free

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...e-benefit.html
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for posting. personally, i'll 'believe' "benefit" after first hand reports here

may be like LHW - expensive hotels available, booked few times, then excluded
(in other words, might be great for early users who book expensive early on)

https://online.citibank.com/US/JRS/p...CTermsBenefits
MASTERCARD BENEFITS FOR THE CITI PRESTIGE® CARD (US)

INTERNATIONAL COMPLIMENTARY NIGHT HOTELS AND RESORTS PROGRAM TERMS AND CONDITIONS

You will enjoy a complimentary fourth night with no black-out dates, when you book four consecutive nights at any hotel booked by a personal travel advisor designated by MasterCard (the "designated travel advisor" is Carlson Wagonlit Travel). Bookings made through other methods such as, travel agents, websites or directly with a hotel will not qualify.

To receive your complimentary night (via a statement credit) you must:

Make a reservation for a minimum, consecutive four-night stay by contacting the Citi Prestige Concierge, to book directly with a designated travel advisor
Fully pay for your stay with a Citi Prestige Card

Receive one complimentary night (room rate for the fourth night and applicable taxes only) for any consecutive four-night hotel stay booked directly with a MasterCard designated travel advisor. Hotel imposed fees and incidental guest charges are the Cardmember's responsibility. The value of the complimentary night will be the actual rate, as provided by the designated travel advisor, on that fourth night of the reservation, even if the rate is different from the rate on other nights. Cardmember will be charged the total cost of the stay at checkout and will receive a credit to the credit card statement for the cost of the fourth night (and the applicable taxes). If the cardmember books a special "pre-paid" rate this may require upfront payment in full, at time of booking. Payment in full is defined as pre-payment for the total of all four consecutive nights. Only one complimentary night is eligible per each stay. A stay is consecutive nights booked and stayed on one reservation and does not include back-to back stays. Back-to back stays are stays at the same hotel booked on two reservations (as an example, you book four nights at a hotel on one reservation for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and book another four nights on another reservation for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. In this situation, you would only be eligible for one complimentary night for the 8 night stay). Rates provided will be equal to or lower than the lowest publicly-available fare at the hotel's official website. The benefit can only be used by the primary account cardholder.

Statement Credit for Hotel Program
Fulfillment

All statement credits will be reflected on the Citi Prestige card statement as being a result of the Program and will appear within two billing periods following the month in which travel was completed; or in the case of promotional "pre-paid" that are paid in full as described above, rates the credit will be reflected within two billing periods following the date of payment in full of the "pre-paid" rate. Foreign exchange conversion rates may fluctuate resulting in slight differences in amount credited.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 31, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:12 am

I will also believe it when I see it re expensive hotels ($1000+/night)

But, back to the OP's question, in many cases the value of a substantial upgrade, breakfast, plus $100 credit could well exceed the value of one free night.

I also want to deal with a TA that has extensive first hand knowledge of high-end hotels, which is usually not the case when booking through FHR etc...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems this change/expansion to citi prestige (US, singapore, malaysia) benefits happened on october 19 2014
previously - 2 bookings a year for hotels (or "select hotels") in World Elite [mastercard] Luxury Hotels & Resorts Portfolio

http://www.mastercard.com/citipresti...its-terms.html

Originally Posted by cheesedawg
they claimed they couldn't book it since it was a "boutique" hotel

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 15, 2015 at 9:23 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 am
Original Poster

In the thread that I mentioned above, they claimed that the 4th night free applying only 2x per year was a thing of the past and that limitation was eliminated.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:26 am

In the thread that I mentioned above, they claimed that the 4th night free applying only 2x per year was a thing of the past and that limitation was eliminated.
Perhaps after you get the card, you can report your success with the fourth night free offer here. The good thing is that the card should pay for itself if the benefit is used even once.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Also interesting question: 4th night free based on which rate? Sometimes rates without free nights are lower in total than the rates with free nights. But it could be interesting!

P.S. The fee seems to be OK (by European standards). I pay much more for my Amex.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:03 am
Original Poster

There have been reports that the CW agent was able to find good rates, not just the full rack rate. Also, the way it has been reported, it is the price of the 4th night, even if it is higher than the other nights (maybe weekend or holiday it will be higher).
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:13 am

Slightly OT, but the main reasons I want to get this card is that TG and CX are point transfer options. The AA lounge access is also a valuable benefit.

I wonder if AA will also become a transfer partner, in which case I would ditch my Citi AAdvantage cards as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.