Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas (to become Waldorf-Astoria)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mandarin Oriental Las Vegas (to become Waldorf-Astoria)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
A gerbil would be unhappy at the MO Barcelona unless he is in a suite.
LOL
Old May 4, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I have to agree. And it is VERY bipolar. I hated MO Singapore and checked out within 24 hours after arriving. I had a *disastrous* stay at MO NYC. MO SF (when it existed) was meh. MO Munich is very good. MO Boston is good. A gerbil would be unhappy at the MO Barcelona unless he is in a suite. MO Geneva is OK, but bettered by FS. I did not like MO LV, but it might suck less than FS.
Ok, I'll bite; with that record why, exactly, do you continue to stay at MO's?

Regards
Old May 11, 2016, 9:28 pm

Update on our recent stay:

Emailed GM, Cliff Atkinson and Head of Americas, Jan Goessing. Received a reply from Cliff to expect a response by EOD. Hotel Manager responded offering 50% credit on our first night stay and refund of 1 spa treatment. If we were to return, also offered a cabana and an upgrade. I found the response to be lukewarm. Our first night THUR was the cheapest of the 3 nights. The response felt like they were watching the bottom line over trying to ensure a repeat guest for the MO brand. I also left a review on trip advisor to which they responded re pool closure that it was due to inclement weather. It had rained in the morning but had stopped the rest of the day and they were already half setup with a wedding stage by the time we arrived to use the pool. Something is better than nothing I guess, but we'll be taking our business elsewhere.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:39 am

Thank you for the update.
Old May 12, 2016, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by needmorevacay

I also left a review on trip advisor to which they responded re pool closure that it was due to inclement weather. It had rained in the morning but had stopped the rest of the day and they were already half setup with a wedding stage by the time. taking our business elsewhere.
Glad you called them out on this here. One of the problems on TA is that
hotels can get the last word, whether it is true or not.
Old May 12, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle

Emailed GM, Cliff Atkinson and Head of Americas, Jan Goessing. Received a reply from Cliff to expect a response by EOD. Hotel Manager responded offering 50% credit on our first night stay and refund of 1 spa treatment. If we were to return, also offered a cabana and an upgrade. I found the response to be lukewarm. Our first night THUR was the cheapest of the 3 nights. The response felt like they were watching the bottom line over trying to ensure a repeat guest for the MO brand. I also left a review on trip advisor to which they responded re pool closure that it was due to inclement weather. It had rained in the morning but had stopped the rest of the day and they were already half setup with a wedding stage by the time we arrived to use the pool. Something is better than nothing I guess, but we'll be taking our business elsewhere.

Thanks for the follow-up. I agree that the offer is lukewarm, and I especially don't appreciate compensatory gestures that require another interaction.
Old May 12, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
I'm a Vegas regular and usually stay at Wynn TS and another hotel Center strip such as MO or Aria Skysuites. I have never found a great service culture at MOLV but I still think it's one of the best hotels in Vegas. Rooms are gorgeous, the spa is well appointed albeit small. The breakfast at Mozen bistro is delicious and beautifully presented.

Speaking to the service culture, I always have to fight for my upgrade even though I am a so-called VIP there (stay five times and they snap your picture and you get valet check-in). Service recovery is always reactive after the fact whereas it should be proactive.

Unfortunately Vegas is Vegas and it is what it is. Having stayed at all the usual well regarded places, you come to accept it. Even my top rated place, Wynn has succumbed to the "club" crowd. Apparently these clubs bring in $1M a night so that is the lure of their proliferation... Ugh !
Old May 31, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I've always stayed at suites at the MO and have had good experiences, but I do agree that the service is more reactive than proactive, but my experiences have been much better than recent posts would suggest. I'll be back on 6/15 and hopefully won't find things much changed. I will agree that upgrades are relatively rare -- I'm booked into a Dynasty Suite and would hope for an upgrade to an Apex, but not holding my breath. I have been offered an upgrade for a partial stay, but moving is too much hassle and I usually turn those kind of offers down.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
I've always stayed at suites at the MO and have had good experiences, but I do agree that the service is more reactive than proactive, but my experiences have been much better than recent posts would suggest. I'll be back on 6/15 and hopefully won't find things much changed. I will agree that upgrades are relatively rare
Totally agree here...
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:17 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Any recent stay reports? Have to spend two nights in Vegas next week and this seems to be the least worst ( as someone else put it, much like SG ). Never actually had to stay in vegas so no clue on what's in town...
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
POOL CLOSED FOR PRIVATE EVENT (no notice)- We went to use the pool & hot tub at 4pm on a Saturday. Lo and behold, the pool was closed for a private event (wedding). Not surprisingly, the hotel gave us ZERO notice that the pool would be closed for a private event. Keep in mind, all guests pay a daily resort fee, so this is a major slap in the face to your guest when you don't tell in advance that they can't use the pool. No apologies from any staff member.
Wanted to add to this review from last year, as I just had dinner with an associate who usually stays at MO but mentioned he is at Skylofts this trip. I asked why he switched, and he said on his last two stays at MO the pool was closed for private events and the MO offered absolutely no service recovery. So this doesn't seem to be uncommon practice at all for this property.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Wanted to add to this review from last year, as I just had dinner with an associate who usually stays at MO but mentioned he is at Skylofts this trip. I asked why he switched, and he said on his last two stays at MO the pool was closed for private events and the MO offered absolutely no service recovery. So this doesn't seem to be uncommon practice at all for this property.
Considering their ownership, it would be easy for them to organize something! Point is they just don’t want to... or need to.

MGM’s influence is very strong here. If I didn’t knew any better, I would call it a franchise.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gengar
Service recovery and Vegas is a fickle thing.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM
Was just at MO LV last week. The last evening of our stay there was a letter placed in our room about a private event at the pool the next day, stating the pool would be closed from late afternoon on, and MO guests were advised the Aria pool could be used instead. It didn't affect us given the time we were checking out.

This was our third or fourth stay at the MO during an annual conference. Continue to be impressed at the longevity of top staff... Glenn at Valet, Walter who drives the house car, Juan at breakfast. Always good to see they are still there and still making the guest experience better than what we experienced during a split stay with FS a few years ago.

The room was starting to look a bit worn versus previous years, so I mentioned in my feedback to management that while the room was clean during our stay, it also seemed like it was time for a deep clean around the edges.

Weakest link food-wise was the Pool Cafe - more automated and less creative than in previous stays... Case in point the fruit plate; I will see if I can find a picture from last year to this year. Last year a nice variety of fruits and all fresh and beautifully presented on a rectangular platter-like plate. This year a small bowl with meh melons and some of the berries toward the bottom were past their prime. Pool service varies widely depending on that day's staff... experienced it on four different days and overall I'd say pool service was adequate, but lacking if comparing it to our previous experience when at FS LV. Breakfast at MO's Mozen was still excellent with plenty of options for those with celiac disease, which can be difficult to find during a Vegas trip. In-room dining handled some unusual requests well, though not flawlessly.

Overall when work brings us to Vegas, I still look forward to staying at MO. I appreciate the zen vibe in the midst of the Strip.
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by umbrella007; Oct 19, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:11 pm

MO LV Has been sold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.