Advice for two weeks in Thailand - November 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for two weeks in Thailand - November 2014

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful responses. I think with all of your help here is where I stand:

North: considering our limited time, I agree that doing both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai is out of the question. The Golden Triangle seems more exciting to us, so I think the Anantara for 3-4 nights will be the way to go.

Bangkok: MO versus Peninsula

Beach: This is where I'm really struggling. I agree that in general Phuket is not that appealing to us given the crowds. That is why I was looking into all of the other places I listed in my original post.

Obviously I'd love to stay at Amanpuri but with the exception of a few other hotels, it's at least 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive than the other hotels I'm considering. I'm trying to strike a balance between "this is a honeymoon, go crazy" versus thinking about the credit card bill when I get home! For a relaxing end to the trip, is there any other beach resort anyone would highly recommend besides Amanpuri, either the ones I listed or others/elsewhere?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by detroit1010
Beach: This is where I'm really struggling. I agree that in general Phuket is not that appealing to us given the crowds. That is why I was looking into all of the other places I listed in my original post.

Obviously I'd love to stay at Amanpuri but with the exception of a few other hotels, it's at least 1/3 to 1/2 more expensive than the other hotels I'm considering. I'm trying to strike a balance between "this is a honeymoon, go crazy" versus thinking about the credit card bill when I get home! For a relaxing end to the trip, is there any other beach resort anyone would highly recommend besides Amanpuri, either the ones I listed or others/elsewhere?
In Phuket Amanpuri and Trisara really are the best options, so if you choose to splurge on either you will not regret it. Other choices in Phuket like Anantara, JW Marriott, etc.. are acceptable four star resorts, but do not compare to the true high-end options.

Otherwise, Rayavadee and/or Phulay Bay would be very good choices if they fit your budget. The beach at Rayavadee is not private, however.

I have no experience with Sarojin or Six Senses Yao Noi, but these are worth looking into.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Go to Amanpuri. It's the best value for money for any of the resorts and hotels you are considering.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
Go to Amanpuri. It's the best value for money for any of the resorts and hotels you are considering.
How do you figure? Just for comparison sake:

Phulay Bay basic room is $650
Amanpuri basic room is $1150

I don't mean this as a challenge to your statement, more of question as to why you see it that way. Given the reviews of Amanpuri I'd love to be convinced it's worth it!

Thank you again for your help!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:16 am

I don't mean this as a challenge to your statement, more of question as to why you see it that way. Given the reviews of Amanpuri I'd love to be convinced it's worth it!

It is worth the extra $500 per night.

If you stay at Phulay Bay you should take a Reserve Villa or higher category, IMO. At that level there is less of a difference in price.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Anantara at Baan Boran in Northern Thailand is a very nice - but the prices there are crazy IMO. I am biased - I stopped there about 20 years when it was the Le Meridien for about £30 a night and again about 5 years ago after its extensive renovation as an Anantara for about £80 (low season) - I find it hard to imagine the freebies they now give that justify 8-10x that rate.

Such a shame - would love to go back but having been there and done the main tours there is no way I'd pay that extra amount.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:58 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Curiously I started a thread with the same basic questions in mind, wanting advice from the luxury experts of the world, but alas, I moved to Thailand section where I could field some advice on youth hostels. In any case, we opted for the FS Golden Triangle combo. Felt like the value was there. My advice: Just go for it, or at least go all out on one section of the trip.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP

Just to be clear, I'm talking about what you get versus the price you pay when I say "value for money".

As to why....
  • Much better service
  • much better beach
  • much better food
  • much more beautiful resort
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by 5khours
Just to be clear, I'm talking about what you get versus the price you pay when I say "value for money".

As to why....
  • Much better service
  • much better beach
  • much better food
  • much more beautiful resort
^ 1

And the OP prefers privacy & ' non - touristy ' too .
This is what Amanpuri encompasses plus where it is located in HKT .

Why else do royalty , etc take refuge here ?
Of course , they & entourage will be at the villas , not at the pavilions .
Though we might just spot them when they venture to the beach , visit the spectacular gym ( for the views too or free yoga classes ) , etc

Then there are other complimentary ' surprises ' offered which are best left for discovery during the stay to experience . Especially for celebrating some occasion .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 20, 2014 at 4:38 pm Reason: Add info
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:58 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thank you all for your helpful responses. I think with all of your help here is where I stand:

Bangkok: MO versus Peninsula
Both good choices.

Reportedly, Amanpuri and Trisara is the way to go.

However, if budget doesn't fit, you may consider something along Maikhao Beach - Anantara and Maikhao Dream Villa Resort & Spa. The beach itself is not really visited by tourists other than those who live on the beachside resorts, and on a massive 9km stretch of beach there are only a handful of resorts, so you'll have it all to yourself. It's not the nicest beach in the world though - sand is golden but it's very coarse. Water quality is also very average, but beware of the waves and the currents. Around May-October, the waves and current is quite strong...Nov-Feb is much better.

I've also heard Sri Panwa being referred to as Trisara-lite. Also, thought about the Banyan Tree in Phuket?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:02 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Speaking of privacy and Phuket, here's another one for the mix (though this is not a 'luxury' hotel - it's certainly worth considering and would fit within your budget) - The Racha. It also has a very, very nice beach...but it's on an island off Phuket, so if you're planning to go into town every night this could be an issue. However, if you just want somewhere to put your feet up and enjoy the beach, might be worth a shot for the budget.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:46 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I think you should do something which is definitely way better than your normal holidays for your honeymoon, but of course you do not have to blow your budget completely. It is more than OK to save something for later in life.

That being said, I think Amanpuri and Trisara are well worth the additional money in my opinion, but of course only if you have it.

The exception might be if you do not care about great service, rather only think it is important to have the largest possible room.

If you really want to try one of these, you could of course decide to spend some days at the beach at another hotel or resort nearby and then the two last nights at Amanpuri or Trisara. If they are not fully booked, you will be able to get early check in and late check out, meaning you can maximise your time there. But do go in the end only, to avoid having to go back to a not-as-good hotel (goes for the rest of your life, by the way ).
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:06 am

If you do decide on Amanpuri I think the advice would be not to get the basic room if this post is correct - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21778945-post67.html . Also the diving trip is "interesting" for such a resort and no coffee maker - even Crowne Plazas have Nespresso machines! By contrast the poster of that thread was impressed by Six Senses Ya Noi so that might be an option.

Have a look at these threads - I suggest that if you do want Phuket you consider the Surin, The Boathouse or Villa Royale - may suit your pocket better and you'll still have a fabulous honeymoon.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ggestions.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...uket-help.html

Musken makes a good suggestion - maybe a night or 2 at say Amanpuri and stay somewhere cheap to balance out the cost to do your sightseeing. I've stayed at Le Meridien Beach resort with the kids - it was designed by the same architect as Trisara, Villa Royale and the Boathouse. I know I said to move as little as possible but if your flight out is late on your last day you could have nearly 2 days there by checking in early and then not leaving the property. I've done that sort of thing in the past - even when I was backpacking. The Meridien on it's own beach which has always been fairly deserted when I've been there.

Oh - and in Bangkok I suggest the Oriental - you really don't need one of the top suites there to enjoy the whole ambiance of the hotel - you're in a city where you'll no doubt go out and about during the day so maybe it would be a waste to splash out on a suite unless you don't intend to go out.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Musken
I think you should do something which is definitely way better than your normal holidays for your honeymoon, but of course you do not have to blow your budget completely. It is more than OK to save something for later in life.

That being said, I think Amanpuri and Trisara are well worth the additional money in my opinion, but of course only if you have it.

The exception might be if you do not care about great service, rather only think it is important to have the largest possible room.

If you really want to try one of these, you could of course decide to spend some days at the beach at another hotel or resort nearby and then the two last nights at Amanpuri or Trisara. If they are not fully booked, you will be able to get early check in and late check out, meaning you can maximise your time there. But do go in the end only, to avoid having to go back to a not-as-good hotel (goes for the rest of your life, by the way ).
+1

But if budget doesn't allow even for honeymoon , Point Yamu is open with pool suites . The villas will be ready too for OP ' s time frame . Nice views of limestone islands / outcrops & Phang Nga bay , sunrise / sunset ..
No beach but has private island launch ride away .

Racha is ok , longer ride away with decent beach .
SS Yai Noi seems closer . On yet another island away from Phuket .

Being the one who had a hand in the Mini Luxury Hotels Forum Gathering @ Amanpuri , few more points to add , we cruised on Aman 1 to visit another FTer who was staying at SS Yai Noi for lunch & tour .
Liked , no - loved , the complimentary ice cream parlour
As for the Amanpuri dive trip , it was not one of Aman ' s boats .
There are coffee machines in some pavilions , the team there rather be the ones taking care of all ones needs including preparing your beverages .

Other hotels likely not for this forum , including the Mai Khao ones .

OP has to bear in mind that some rack rates include lots of extras :-: ( Amanpuri / Trisara ) , while others which seem lower , may end up costlier as everything is charged .

As Musken suggests , e.g. one can stay at the Surin & then move next door to Amanpuri , like what I did once & went on an Amanpuri boat " in transit "
Garden pavilions are fine , if you like a lot of foliage around . They may just upgrade you as one of their wedding / honeymoon gifts to the OP

Last edited by FlyerEC; Apr 22, 2014 at 8:18 am Reason: Add info
Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:21 am

Most would be happy with a Garden Pavilion or higher category at Amanpuri. Only diffences between categories are location/view, and in some cases the addition of a private pool.

One good point about Trisara is that all suites and villas have sea views and private pools.

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
OP has to bear in mind that some rack rates include lots of extras :-: ( Amanpuri / Trisara ) , while others which seem lower , may end up costlier as everything is charged.
This is a very good point. You get what you pay for, and as others have said Amanpuri and Trisara may be the most expensive, but are arguably the best value. It is also important to compare only comparable suite categories, i.e. a base/lower cateogry of suite at Amanpuri or Trisara should be compared with higher category suites/villas at other resorts such as Phulay Bay.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 21, 2014 at 4:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.