Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Hassler, Excelsior or St. Regis in Rome?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

We were booked at the Hotel de Russie for our summer vacation (2nd half of our trip!), but they won't guarantee connecting rooms (or even rooms on the same floor!) unless we upgrade to a suite (at an absolutely exhorbitant cost!). If we switch hotels, any thoughts as to pros/cons of the Hassler, Westin Excelsior or the St. Regis (or any other luxury hotel suggestions in Rome)?
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:18 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Here is my St. Regis trip report.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...otel-rome.html
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:16 pm
BLV

Hassler has a great (beyond touristy) location literally at the top of the Spanish Steps, overlooking via Condotti.

Excelsior is on Via Veneto, touristy as well, but not as crowded as area around Piazza di Spagna. It's about a 5 minute walk from Hassler.

St. Regis is about a 5-7 minute walk from Excelsior in a much quieter area. All will have the traditional/palace style furnishings with Hassler being the most expensive and with Excelsior as my least favorite (recent stay was in August of 2011).

I've stayed at St. Regis around 6 times but keep telling myself that it's about time I tried the Portrait Suites.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Any thoughts on the Rome Caviliero (sp?). - I know it is farther away, but having a pool with two ore-teens might be a blessing if it is hot.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I M H O, the Hassler
Old Mar 4, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pacoto
Thanks. Any thoughts on the Rome Caviliero (sp?). - I know it is farther away, but having a pool with two ore-teens might be a blessing if it is hot.
I was there last summer with wife and our 2 year old kid and we liked a place very much Pool area is just great and shuttle service takes you to city centre quickly (when it's not a rush hour).
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Only know the St. Regis from an own stay. Liked this hotel, also the location is in my eyes not worst than Hassler (stayed at IC in the past).
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by pacoto
Don't forget that this hotel is basically a Hilton. The pool is good for kids, but everything else is pretty tired. If not de Russie, then The Hassler, which has a great location. I would avoid the Starwoods.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
The Hassler has a smaller sister hotel (it has a feel of privacy) that is just kitty corner. It specializes in wines. Ask them about it.

I still haven't the right hotel in Rome, neither in Venice for that matter. But then I don't go often to Venice.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:20 am

I would choose the Hassler, with no hesitation.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larkin
I M H O, the Hassler
+1.

I just completed a perfect stay at the Hassler. Really worthwhile. I have stayed at the Excelsior and while it is a nice hotel it is not at this level. Highly recommended (the Hassler that is).
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I love The Hassler
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much. The Hassler gave us a great rate and connecting rooms so think we'll stick with that. Appreciate all the comments!
Old Mar 5, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Rome is for walking, walking, walking, as there's always another gem to see in the next street or piazza, and you want to be able to absorb as much of it as you can; you want to be as central as you can so any of your top 3 would fit the bill, just don't allow those kids to laze around a pool in a non-central area of Rome -- from your other thread I assume they'll be allowed that elsewhere, whatever you choose. Actually that sounds like a perfect 2-week combo; the little ones can work out their feet and calf muscles in the Imperial City and then restore them later at some superb pool or beach -- not a bad plan for any of us.

If you don't mind sharing it, I'd love to know just what great deal the Hassler offered you, congratulations on snagging it...
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Cannot speak to the Hassler, but I did stay at the Intercontinental right next door in October. Also stayed at the Excelsior on that trip. And stayed at the St. Regis a year ago January. I think you made a great choice. I had great stays at both the St. Regis and Westin - particularly great service at the St. Regis. And I imagine the Hassler rooms will be a bit smaller like the Intercontinental. But you cannot beat the location. I have a great picture of the Spanish steps with no one on them - taken very early on a Sunday morning - and that was possible because I just rolled out of bed and crossed the street.

Just as an FYI during the January trip friends stayed at Hotel Raphael (Relais & Chateau) and loved it as well.

Last edited by dbuckho; Mar 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.