Search

FS to lose management of Aviara?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 11:49 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
FS to lose management of Aviara?

From this article it appears as of Monday FS is to lose management of the Aviara property:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...hes-its-brand/
Old May 10, 2009, 5:31 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Looks like we have a bit of a donnybrook on our hands:
http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ts-987090.html

I was last there in March '09 and it seemed fine. Of all the convention/wedding resorts in that strip (Montage, RC, STR, etc.), the FS seems most geared to that convention segement...so it's not my fave. That being said, I wouldnt want to lose it either.

After reading these reports I'd take a guess that the FS comes out on top. A public company wouldnt release something to the press that fast unless they knew they were on safe ground.

Last edited by DrivingRain; May 10, 2009 at 5:38 am
Old May 10, 2009, 11:48 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This looks like it will be fun!

Public companies release things to the press for many reasons, one of which could be simply to draw a line in the sand.
Old May 11, 2009, 3:31 am

It is interesting that US owners are often very reluctant to spend the sort of money they need to in order to support a deluxe property, which is why there are so few deluxe properties in the USA and so many 3-stars that make owners millions but fail to excite this forum.

I know that Four Seasons have struggled with other US owners in the past - it seems as if it is an inevitable process with some. The really good owners, like Ty Warner, who owns FS NY, understand that a brand like FS needs continuous investment in order to satisfy its demanding guests and its own high standards.

These days FS management contracts are up to 80 years long. I guess the only way an owner can try to extricate himself/herself is by accusations. I'm betting on Four Seasons in this one!
Old May 11, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Some of us are also wondering what, if any, impact this will have on the residence club owners. Undoubtedly depends on the outcome of all of this.
Old May 11, 2009, 5:47 pm

The owners take some control of the property:
http://www.northcountytimes.com/arti...b300658619.txt

FS takes it back by court order?
http://uk.sys-con.com/node/958135
Old May 12, 2009, 9:59 am

FS has put up barricades?!?

If anybody lives nearby, please stop in and report back. I assume that they are pleasantly planted there and do not resemeble a military fort; but I'm curious about it.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...ver-luxury-re/
Old May 12, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Four Seasons says that instead of waiting for an arbitration panel's directions, the partnership's representatives entered the hotel around 1 a.m. on March 29, a Sunday, picked the locks in a manager's office and posted private security guards outside.

The new management company tapped by BRCP is Dolce Hotels and Resorts...

The owners' attorney, William Brewer III of Dallas, said they expect Dolce to enhance guests' experiences.

"We, as the owners, are looking for that to translate into increased occupancy, patronage, which, under Four Seasons, has been miserable, frankly," Brewer said.

BRCP...seeks to regain "tens of millions of dollars" in losses caused by Four Seasons.
...Four Seasons erected barricades and checkpoints at the entrances to the 329-room resort...

...Four Seasons management said...it took “prudent measures to protect (guests) from the improper actions threatened by Broadreach.”
sounds like the owner cant cover their debt, so they wanted FS to cut management expenses/fees as well as room rates.

2 weeks until first court date.

http://press.fourseasons.com/news-re...resort-aviara/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 12, 2009 at 12:41 pm
Old May 15, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
I like the attorney's suggestion that the service under Dolce & Gabbana (or whatever the new management company is called) would be better than that of FS.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I saw this on the Hyatt forum. What a great way to use my GP points!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ark-hyatt.html

On the FS website:

Four Seasons will be concluding our management of Four Seasons Resort Aviara effective June 21, 2010. We have been very proud to manage Four Seasons Resort Aviara for the last 13 years. In that time, the Resort has garnered numerous awards and accolades, including being named to Travel and Leisure World’s Best Awards 2003-2010; named as a AAA Five-Diamond Award for ten years running; listed on Conde Nast Traveler's "Gold List" from 1999-2009; and Golf Digest’s “Top 75 Golf Resorts in America” 2010.

If you have a reservation before June 21, 2010, you will not be affected by this change. If you have questions about your reservation, please contact our Worldwide Reservations Office at 1-800-819-5053 or the hotel directly.

Last edited by francophile; Apr 20, 2010 at 6:19 pm
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:30 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Some additional info:

http://www.your-story.org/arbitratio...aviara-181533/
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK the TS will still be managed by FS..
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
People purchase time shares and residences like the FS Aviara based on the long term management contracts of hotel companies they respect but the contracts seldom last for the duration agreed upon often leaving the buyers with a less attractive and diminished "investment." Purchasers could change the terms of the contracts requiring THEM to be paid if the contract with the hotel management company is broken, but only if they banded together and pooled their investments.

I'm curious to see if we will see arrangements like this in the future. If there was any real stability in management contracts I would potentially be interested in buying a residence club or fractional ownership.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:59 am

Never did like FS Aviara, so no loss as far as I am concerned.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:17 pm

How does going from FS to PH exactly fix the problems? Aren't both aiming to be the high-end luxury brands?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.