Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goldeneye Jamaica

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm probably the only one in here who thinks of Nintendo 64 and the good ol' days.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'm probably the only one in here who thinks of Nintendo 64 and the good ol' days.
Same boat
Old Jun 4, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
are original Villas 1, 2, 3 still in hotel inventory? interesting spa was originally a 4th villa

http://bolthousejamaica.com/ i notice is no longer on island outpost site, and no longer includes complimentary 1BR at goldeneye, but does still include access to goldeneye
The original villas 1,2, and 3 are there, although some might be called something else - two of them are there plus the Ian Fleming Villa. https://www.goldeneye.com/stay/villa1/

There are also a couple of the original original cabins that have no running water or air conditioning left on site. They do not rent these out.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by juuceman
The original villas 1,2, and 3 are there, although some might be called something else - two of them are there plus the Ian Fleming Villa. https://www.goldeneye.com/stay/villa1/

There are also a couple of the original original cabins that have no running water or air conditioning left on site. They do not rent these out.
We stayed in Villa 1; which was called Honeychile... still a great memory!

FDW
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:13 am
Suspended

Very, very impressed with this property. Wasn't expecting this at ALL. Both from suppliers and agents I've heard (for the better part of a year) some combo of: "it's not for everyone" or "it's a bit historic" (euphemism for old and crunchy) or "not refined" blah blah blah. I don't really buy it. Yeah, you won't find infinity pools here and it's no Aman, but the product is really, really special. Staff is wonderful, food is as good as I've had at other top Caribbean resorts, and the cottages + villas are HUGE. Value proposition is really high here. I'll obviously post a review and pictures, but if you have questions, let me know!
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I'll obviously post a review and Pictures
Canīt wait! Only heared negative things so far....
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:15 am

"food is as good as I've had at other top Caribbean resorts"

Hah- this is hilarious. The food is generally terrible in the Caribbean. The food at the rosewood LDB was particularly bad for the level of the resort. Don't go anywhere in the Caribbean expecting good food.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by off2rome
"food is as good as I've had at other top Caribbean resorts"

Hah- this is hilarious. The food is generally terrible in the Caribbean. The food at the rosewood LDB was particularly bad for the level of the resort. Don't go anywhere in the Caribbean expecting good food.
What I like about the food here? There is a distinct effort to have a menu witha majority of local flavors. It sounds cliche, but jerk chicken, curry goat, salt fish, Jamaican fruits/vegetables, etc...very nice. Plus, they have their own organic garden and much of the produce comes from there. (PS, I've had great food experiences at Dorado Beach, Condado, Ritz Aruba, Manchebo Aruba, quite a bit in Turks, Cuisinart @ Anguilla, and so on.....)

@ offerendum: only heard negative things? Care to elaborate?

Listen, if you're coming here expecting Aman level design, service, food - go elsewhere. Don't come to Jamaica and expect anything but a laid back vibe, decor, and culinary POV. This is a 'shoes off' type of place...

Frankly, it reminds me of why I'm not an Amanjunkie. The line of the day (maybe the line of the year) was: "want to go to a mortuary? Go to an Aman"...and after my last three dining at an Aman experience, while the food was a complete 10, it was one of the least relaxing experiences i've ever had. Would take GoldenEye ANYDAY to that.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Frankly, it reminds me of why I'm not an Amanjunkie. The line of the day (maybe the line of the year) was: "want to go to a mortuary? Go to an Aman.
^

Really look forward to your GoldenEye reconnaissance, pricesquire.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:52 am
Suspended

A quick trip to GoldenEye Hotel & Resort
For a look at the pictures that accompanied this review, click here.

Introduction

I've resisted the Caribbean for years. Outside of a few family trips to Aruba, I literally hadn't stepped foot on a Caribbean island for over a decade. Frankly, this feels a bit ironic: I'm lucky enough to live in Florida - where even without a direct flight, I can leave my house after breakfast and be on a world-class beach by lunch.

The main reason I've resisted is quite simple: I gravitate towards cultures, not beaches. [I'm the type of person who'd rather go to Tokyo than Turks, even in the dead of winter.] Sitting in a beach chair for days on end, staring at the same stretch of sand, is not my idea of a good time, especially when there's nothing to do on or off property. While I'm not claiming the Caribbean is a complete cultural vacuum, it does often feel that way. So while I understand beach vacations work for some people - no judgment here! - it's just never been my thing.

That was the case until recently, when I stumbled upon GoldenEye Hotel & Resort in Oracabessa, Jamaica.

Virtuoso

GoldenEye is one of five Virtuoso hotels & resorts on the island of Jamaica.

If you were to book a Virtuoso rate at GoldenEye, you would receive the following value-added amenities:

One $120 USD equivalent resort credit per stay
For Virtuoso guests purchasing optional meal plan: one dinner for 2 in a local restaurant (not including beverages, taxes, or gratuities) once during stay
Daily full breakfast, for up to two in room guests
Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability

If you're considering a stay at GoldenEye this year [2015], take note: there are quite a few promotions running for the remainder of this year.

GoldenEye aside, the four other Virtuoso properties on Jamaica include:

Half Moon, a Rock Resort

Jamaica Inn

Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Tryall Club

GoldenEye is located in Oracabessa, a close-knit town of ~4,000 residents in St. Mary Parish, Jamaica. While Oracabessa may not have the 'big name' recognition of places like Negril, Montego Bay, or Ochos Rios, there's nowhere I'd rather be on the island. The distance from the bigger cities means you're all the more likely to have a unique, localized, and authentic Jamaican experience. The allure of a small town like Oracabessa is inescapable, and history - especially music history - runs deep here.

From a more practical standpoint, getting to GoldenEye requires a flight to Montego Bay - just over an hour out of Miami, FL. From there, you'll be picked up at the airport and driven - approximately 2 hours - to the property. If you're visiting Strawberry Hill first [another Island Outpost hotel, and a popular combination with GoldenEye], you're best bet is to fly into Kingston.

Closest international airports: MBJ [1:50]; KIN [2:06].

Closest regional airports: OCJ [0:05] - Ian Fleming International Airport, for private jets only.

Water Access: Lagoon & Beach

One of the most beautiful things I saw while in Jamaica, bar none, was GoldenEye's lagoon. I could spend many hours of many days floating around that thing [and, for the limited amount of time I was in Jamaica, that's exactly what I did!].

As much as the lagoon is a beacon of activity - kayaking, SUP, swimming, snorkeling, etc. - it maintains an aura of calmness at all times. It's truly an oasis. So - for those considering lagoon accommodations: I highly recommend them to those who are looking for a quieter experience.

GoldenEye's main beach is called Low Cay Beach. [There is a second beach, but it's private, and only accessible to those who booked the Ian Fleming Villa.]

I think it's obvious that GoldenEye doesn't lack 'water access' - and being here almost feels like you're on an island in and of itself [well, you kind of are, as the hotel sits on a natural peninsula].

Accommodations

When booking GoldenEye, you basically have two options: beach or lagoon. And from there, you have two more options: one bedroom or two. We settled into a one bedroom beach villa and were more than pleased.

One Bedroom Beach Villa [#19]:

Regardless of location [beach vs. lagoon] or accommodation [villa vs. cottage], you will always be in a building to yourself. In other words: there are no connecting rooms, and there are no instances of having a neighbor atop, below, or connected. This makes for an exceptionally private experience, which is quite hard to find in resort-ridden Jamaica.

Because the villa felt so private - just like a home - we left the door open all day, spent hours on the porch, and made full use of our stretch of beach.

The bedroom was "island chic." Polished concrete floors, lots of white-washed wood, slatted blinds, and subtle beach motifs throughout. Very simply but lovely.

Extremely pleased with the villa, I can't imagine requesting another one on my next trip. In fact, if it's available, I'd say #19 is the best located villa on property.

The Fleming Villa [5 bedrooms]

The Fleming Villa has to be one of the most unique accommodations I've ever seen, mainly due to the history involved with a stay here. Not only were all 14 Bond novels written here, but the villa hosted epic parties to some of the world's most famous actors, writers, and musicians.

A stay here includes more than the main villa, but you'll also have satellite cottages, an entertainment & pool house, a full staff, and your own private beach.

It's big, it's beautiful, and we'd all kill to spend a week here. But the villa is about so much more than it's size, or it's beauty. The history alone could make your head spin. Being able to sit at Fleming's writing desk - the desk - is something you simply won't find at another luxury property. Furthermore, it's impossible to miss the aura felt by sitting in these rooms, realizing that this was the epicenter of an epic list of 'who's who' for the latter part of the 20th century.

"Worth noting..."

When making a decision on what room to book, there are a few things to keep in mind.

Lagoon cottages are quieter [and more private] than beach front villas. The reasons are multi-faceted. For starters, children are not allowed in a lagoon cottage, for obvious safety reasons. Secondly, you won't have foot traffic in front of your porch [people going to/from Bizot Bar, breakfast, and general beach activity]. And lastly, the lagoon is a more serene experience. Cottages are spaced farther apart, and the overall atmosphere at this part of the resort is, well, calmer.

Villas are larger than cottages. Seems obvious, but it's hard to tell once you're actually inside one. Your typical villa will come in at 1,100 square feet, while the cottage is closer to 720 square feet.

GoldenEye is popular, and at only 21 rooms - book soon. [The room count will change with the upcoming expansion, but I'd imagine the popularity will stay the same.]

Bookings require 3 nights deposit.

Spa

Depressing as it is, I didn't get a spa treatment while on property [despite having one booked!]. Hell, I didn't even get to see the inside of the place. I guess that is a testament to the on-site activities: I was having such a good time doing other things that I gave away my massage to a friend. Despite the lack of a treatment, it's hard to miss the exterior of the spa. Every time you take a swim in the lagoon, there it is.

Pools

Lagoon, beach, and now pools. You certainly won't lack an opportunity to take a dip.

I will say this: these aren't the most modern pools - and you certainly won't find a world-class infinity either. That said, the point is entirely moot, as there is truly no reason to both with a pool here. [On another note, I found the saltwater pool to be absolutely epic.]

So while I didn't use the pools much, I thought the "Golden Eye"/saltwater pool was clutch.

Dining

Dining options aren't GoldenEye's strong suit, being that they only have two restaurants on property: [1] the Gazebo, and [2] Bizot Bar. You have to excuse them a bit: at 21 rooms, I can't imagine it's a good idea to spread yourself that thin. That said, GoldenEye is expanding the property, and in that expansion they're adding more restaurant options.

While options are slim, the quality of the food is exceptionally high. Everything tasted very fresh, and it's no surprise: the hotel has a strong commitment to fresh & local food, organic produce, and fresh seafood. [Example: they refuse to call fish a "fresh catch" unless it was caught that day. No exceptions.]

The Gazebo:

The Gazebo is the resort's 'formal' option, and it's where you'll spend most of your on-site dinners. The food is heavily Caribbean, with an international wine list to boot.

Bizot Bar:

Bizot Bar is where you'll take breakfast & lunch. It's also your go-to spot for all things drinking, whether that be a night at the bar, mid-day cocktails, or bottles of water while sitting poolside.

Service

The soft-product here is simply incredible, and the service is no exception. I couldn't tell if it was Jamaicans as a whole, or GoldenEye employees in particular - but these people were some of the most generous, kind, and outgoing people I've ever encountered. "Accommodating" doesn't even adequately describe how good the staff is. Each employee was a personality, in and of themselves, and I'll never forget many of them. The one who stands out the most? Hands down: Nigel, the Food & Beverages Service Manager [what a smile!].

Conclusion

I think it's quite obvious by now that GoldenEye was a complete success. The resort has it all: beach front access, an epic lagoon for all things active, a solid ethnic food scene, all contained within quite the rarity: a historic, chic Caribbean hotel. [Don't let the word historic throw you off, as this isn't your run of the mill "historic/charming" hotel, where those words are actually a euphemism for musty/smelly/old.] Jamaica - and much of the Caribbean - is overrun with generic, big-name resorts, so it's very refreshing to stumble upon a place like GoldenEye. Not only would I recommend this to clients, but I myself am already planning my next trip back. I only hope #19 is available.

[*It's worth noting that GoldenEye is going under a substantial expansion. More cottages/villas will be added, as well as more dining options. Long story short: the resort is growing, but from what I can tell - it's not growing at the expense of losing it's overall character. Wait and see, right?]

- Just to add: I did take a hardhat site tour of the expansion. It does NOT look like this will ruin the character of the resort. It's almost 'off to the side', and because they're adding dining options too, it won't overcrowd current/existing setup.

-Again, pictures make the world of difference: click here.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

thanks for the review.. I've been looking forward to it.. maybe I'll try to pull some of my pictures from visit in 2006 to see how it's changed... any details about the planned expansion? last time I was there we were the only guests of the property for a couple days... still looks beautiful and incredible... can you tell me alittle more about the food options? ie prices and what was the price of the inclusive option? when we visited it was indeed all inclusive... Are any of the old villas still available for rent? I would love to go back one day....

Thanks
FDW
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Thanks for the report! Still not sure if I would fly to Jamaica for it but it has charme
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks for the report! Still not sure if I would fly to Jamaica for it but it has charme
Being based in Germany, it seems like a stretch flight, I'd agree. BUT, if you're coming to the states - keep in mind - this is 1 hour flying time from MIA. I left at breakfast time and was on resort for a late lunch...

It has charm indeed, but not that icky, old, smells-like-your-grandmas-house charm. It's a truly chic place. I mean that.

Lastly, I am a true believer that Jamaica is a destination, in and of itself. It's one of the larger Caribbean islands (maybe the second largest behind Cuba?) - and the culture is absolutely mind blowing. From cuisine to music to WW2 and Great Britain history. The mountains are days worth of hiking, too.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
any details about the planned expansion? last time I was there we were the only guests of the property for a couple days... still looks beautiful and incredible... can you tell me alittle more about the food options? ie prices and what was the price of the inclusive option? when we visited it was indeed all inclusive... Are any of the old villas still available for rent? I would love to go back one day....
I'll have to check my notes later today, but I did take a tour of the project. Should be done by fall.

When the GM brought me there (right in the middle of it), I said: "ok, so where is the expansion?"...he laughed and said "you're standing on it!"

I think that's a testament to how sleek it'll be.

I was VERY worried that the expansion would kill the character. That was my first question. After hearing him out, and seeing it, I really believe it'll be done is such a fashion that you won't feel like something is missing.

I'll get specifics from the prop manager and get back to you on that.

As for all inclusive vs. not all inclusive - you can go either way! They'll price out both.

Lastly, re food...I thought it was delicious. That said, as I mentioned in my review, the options are quite limited. Menus are short.

I'm a believer in "do a few things very well vs a lot of things mediocre" - so im fine with it.

They did say they're expanding options a bit. A third major restaurant will help.

Food was delicious though. Price point was extremely doable for Caribbean (half of what Mukul is).
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Thanks for this very detailed report about an unusual property, pricesquire.

Closest regional airports: OCJ [0:05] - Ian Fleming International Airport, for private jets only.
Heh, can`t think of a more sexy sounding airport

Great to see the inside of the Ian Fleming Villa, too.

The Bizot bar has so much character, and probably witnessed many interesting encounters.

I love the foto of the pool, in the shape of a golden eye.

Is there a Fleming "insider" on the premises who can give insight on some of Fleming's typical 007 symbolism and chiffres?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Being based in Germany, it seems like a stretch flight, I'd agree. BUT, if you're coming to the states - keep in mind - this is 1 hour flying time from MIA.
Of course, itīs like Spain from Germany

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.