FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Hawaii: Kahala Mandarin or Mauna Kea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/435623-hawaii-kahala-mandarin-mauna-kea.html)

hindukid May 23, 2005 12:22 am

Hawaii: Kahala Mandarin or Mauna Kea

Trying to pick an island for a three day stopver on the way to Japan. Hotel will play some part in the decision. Thoughts on these two hotels. Quality of beach is important. I know Mauna Kea is supposed to be great, how's the Mandarin? Restaurants are unimportant. Most important thing is to relax. Kauai and Maui are out as they have already been visited. Anything on Waikiki is out. JW Marriott is over $400 a night whereas these are only about $225. Four Seasons, Fairmont orchid and Hilton are all sold out on the big island.

slippahs May 23, 2005 12:33 am

The beach out in front of the Mandarin is pretty cruddy. If you can get the Marriott down to a reasonable price, they've got an awfully nice beach. Otherwise, stick with the Mauna Kea.

Also, if you get a chance, you'll likely get more responses from the Hawai'i board--try posting there.

aloha

DENPremEx May 23, 2005 9:29 am

I was at the Mandarin in April and its the only place I will stay on Oahu. The hotel is fantastic, the service excellent and, in my opinion, they have a very nice (private) beach. When I visit Oahu I don't even look anywhere else.

mcgahat May 23, 2005 10:32 am

I used to stay at the Mandarin and loved it. To relax.....it is a great place for relaxing and they take steps to make sure it is relaxing there. As slippahs mentioned the beach is not very good there though so if that is important then I dont think you will like the beach. It is quiet there though. I have always had good service at the Mandarin.

air_male May 26, 2005 5:49 pm

If you really want a treat - great accommodations, beach and food, book the Kona Village Resort.

obscure2k May 27, 2005 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by air_male
If you really want a treat - great accommodations, beach and food, book the Kona Village Resort.

I agree. However, the beach at the Mauna Kea is (IMHO) far superior to that of KVR. KVR does have calmer water, but MKB has that long stretch of gorgeous pristine sand.

coplatua1k May 28, 2005 12:55 pm

I knoiw a great dela of people swear by the Kahala but after two stays as an Amex Plat I'll never return. I like Mauna Kea but I LOVE Koele and Manele on Lanai. Great golf, excellent food, friendly service.

http://www.islandoflanai.com

RLG Jul 27, 2005 1:07 am

My 2 cents:

Mauna Kea - beautiful beach, nice hotel

Kahala - great hotel, so so beach

Manele Bay - so so hotel, ok beach if you don't mind all the campers/homeless people

Koele Lodge - nice hotel, but not what most people think of for Hawaii.

jaguarpig Jul 27, 2005 4:01 am

Kahala Mandarin.
Stayed recently will not be returning, I love MO hotels but this is by a mile the worst I have found,lots of sour staff that matched the over priced food,beach is passable,layout of the hotel is a joke.

AndrewC Jul 27, 2005 4:58 am

Originally Posted by jaguarpig
Kahala Mandarin.
Stayed recently will not be returning, I love MO hotels but this is by a mile the worst I have found,lots of sour staff that matched the over priced food,beach is passable,layout of the hotel is a joke.

Just shows how opinions differ. I stayed there for the first time this year and loved it.

The food was - IMHO - both excellent and reasonable priced compared with the rest of Hawai'i. The spa IS overpriced but is truly world-class.

The beach isn't great and the layout is a little wierd, but the hotel was a great "cocoon"

kcmj1234 Jul 28, 2005 12:52 am

Kahala MO

I stayed there last week.
I got a corner room at 6th floor.

Service: Pretty good
Food: Breakfast buffet=> Okay.
Lunch=> Fish was exellent. Price was about $30~35.

Beach: Can't compare with caribbean. I didn't swim. It was good for just reading books and taking nap for me.

Pool: Not big

Dolphin Lagoon: Great watching them swimming from the room at 6th floor. It cost about $1000 for a family of five to swim with them.

Parking: It was $20 or $22 overnight valet parking.

Overall, not bad. I wish there was Ritz at Oahu.

jaguarpig Jul 28, 2005 7:26 am

Originally Posted by kcmj1234
I wish there was Ritz at Oahu.

So do I.

frankhi Jul 28, 2005 8:38 am

Of the 2 I'd pick the mauna kea, but if I was going to the BI with your prereqs I'd stay at the Hapuna Beach Prince.

sammylee Jul 29, 2005 9:49 am

Frankhi-why would you choose the Hapuna over the Mauna Kea?

svenskaflicka Jul 29, 2005 5:13 pm

Isn't the Ritz supposed to breaking ground soon over by the Ko'olina?