Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Hawaii: Kahala Mandarin or Mauna Kea

Old May 23, 2005, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Trying to pick an island for a three day stopver on the way to Japan. Hotel will play some part in the decision. Thoughts on these two hotels. Quality of beach is important. I know Mauna Kea is supposed to be great, how's the Mandarin? Restaurants are unimportant. Most important thing is to relax. Kauai and Maui are out as they have already been visited. Anything on Waikiki is out. JW Marriott is over $400 a night whereas these are only about $225. Four Seasons, Fairmont orchid and Hilton are all sold out on the big island.
Old May 23, 2005, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
The beach out in front of the Mandarin is pretty cruddy. If you can get the Marriott down to a reasonable price, they've got an awfully nice beach. Otherwise, stick with the Mauna Kea.

Also, if you get a chance, you'll likely get more responses from the Hawai'i board--try posting there.

aloha
Old May 23, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
I was at the Mandarin in April and its the only place I will stay on Oahu. The hotel is fantastic, the service excellent and, in my opinion, they have a very nice (private) beach. When I visit Oahu I don't even look anywhere else.
Old May 23, 2005, 10:32 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I used to stay at the Mandarin and loved it. To relax.....it is a great place for relaxing and they take steps to make sure it is relaxing there. As slippahs mentioned the beach is not very good there though so if that is important then I dont think you will like the beach. It is quiet there though. I have always had good service at the Mandarin.
Old May 26, 2005, 5:49 pm

Programs: 2MM, *wood, Hyatt GP
If you really want a treat - great accommodations, beach and food, book the Kona Village Resort.
Old May 27, 2005, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by air_male
If you really want a treat - great accommodations, beach and food, book the Kona Village Resort.
I agree. However, the beach at the Mauna Kea is (IMHO) far superior to that of KVR. KVR does have calmer water, but MKB has that long stretch of gorgeous pristine sand.
Old May 28, 2005, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
I knoiw a great dela of people swear by the Kahala but after two stays as an Amex Plat I'll never return. I like Mauna Kea but I LOVE Koele and Manele on Lanai. Great golf, excellent food, friendly service.

http://www.islandoflanai.com
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:07 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
My 2 cents:

Mauna Kea - beautiful beach, nice hotel

Kahala - great hotel, so so beach

Manele Bay - so so hotel, ok beach if you don't mind all the campers/homeless people

Koele Lodge - nice hotel, but not what most people think of for Hawaii.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Kahala Mandarin.
Stayed recently will not be returning, I love MO hotels but this is by a mile the worst I have found,lots of sour staff that matched the over priced food,beach is passable,layout of the hotel is a joke.
Old Jul 27, 2005, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by jaguarpig
Kahala Mandarin.
Stayed recently will not be returning, I love MO hotels but this is by a mile the worst I have found,lots of sour staff that matched the over priced food,beach is passable,layout of the hotel is a joke.
Just shows how opinions differ. I stayed there for the first time this year and loved it.

The food was - IMHO - both excellent and reasonable priced compared with the rest of Hawai'i. The spa IS overpriced but is truly world-class.

The beach isn't great and the layout is a little wierd, but the hotel was a great "cocoon"
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:52 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta Platinum, US Platimum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Kahala MO

I stayed there last week.
I got a corner room at 6th floor.

Service: Pretty good
Food: Breakfast buffet=> Okay.
Lunch=> Fish was exellent. Price was about $30~35.

Beach: Can't compare with caribbean. I didn't swim. It was good for just reading books and taking nap for me.

Pool: Not big

Dolphin Lagoon: Great watching them swimming from the room at 6th floor. It cost about $1000 for a family of five to swim with them.

Parking: It was $20 or $22 overnight valet parking.

Overall, not bad. I wish there was Ritz at Oahu.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by kcmj1234
I wish there was Ritz at Oahu.
So do I.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:38 am

Of the 2 I'd pick the mauna kea, but if I was going to the BI with your prereqs I'd stay at the Hapuna Beach Prince.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 9:49 am

Programs: AA-PLT, 1MM, SPG Plat
Frankhi-why would you choose the Hapuna over the Mauna Kea?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Isn't the Ritz supposed to breaking ground soon over by the Ko'olina?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.