FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Solo Benefits - FHR LHR Virtuoso (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1982881-solo-benefits-fhr-lhr-virtuoso.html)

lamphs Aug 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Solo Benefits - FHR LHR Virtuoso

Does anyone have any experience with solo travel with any of these programs? Specifically, often these programs include some sort of credit for two, i.e. breakfast. Can an alternative benefit be negotiated when the guest is solo? Thanks!

United747 Aug 13, 2019 8:10 pm

In my experience, you get the full breakfast credit even if it’s only one person. So even if it says $40 per person, I’ll get $80 if I book the room for one person.

I’m not really sure what you could negotiate in lieu of this?

MSPeconomist Aug 13, 2019 8:12 pm

IIRC the wording of the breakfast benefit for FHR doesn't require that the second person for breakfast be staying in your hotel room, so you could invite a business associate for example. YMMV.

offerendum Aug 14, 2019 1:39 am

When I stayed solo at a hotel I always got the same benefits as when I travel as a couple. Often they didn´t even mention I traveled alone. Would only be relevant at the few hotels who offer single rates.

DavidO Aug 14, 2019 2:06 am

Additionally, the $100 F&B or Spa credit is all yours!

sophialite Aug 14, 2019 2:11 am

I always book a room for two except when there is an extra charge for the second person. It lets me have a business breakfast at the hotel entirely for free.

Some hotels cap your total breakfast spend (Four Seasons SF) but I haven't ever exceeded it.

chinmoylad Aug 14, 2019 6:35 am

Echoing some of the comments here - if the breakfast is just breakfast, rather than 'value', then the 2nd person's breakfast is wasted (but feel free to invite a friend or something who isn't staying at the hotel but in the city, if a city hotel).
If the breakfast has an assigned value, you get the value for both.
If it's a set value credit (e.g. USD 100), of course you can use up the full USD 100.
If it's a lunch or dinner for two, once during stay, some hotels may be able to negotiate for you to make use of this twice (or replace it with something else) but this is case by case.

sophialite Aug 14, 2019 6:46 am

If breakfast is an assigned value, I'll often just give the balance as a tip. And sometimes it can be quite generous.

At the Park Hyatt DC, I receive a $100 dining credit in addition to breakfast. I so rarely use it that I just give a $100 tip to the server.

offerendum Aug 14, 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31414828)
If breakfast is an assigned value, I'll often just give the balance as a tip. And sometimes it can be quite generous.

At the Park Hyatt DC, I receive a $100 dining credit in addition to breakfast. I so rarely use it that I just give a $100 tip to the server.

Not sure if every hotel (especially outside the US) allows to use credit for tips. At some in Europe I know it´s not the case.

sophialite Aug 14, 2019 9:11 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 31414960)
Not sure if every hotel (especially outside the US) allows to use credit for tips. At some in Europe I know it´s not the case.

I always get push back at check out, but I've always won the battle so far.

Beltway2A Aug 14, 2019 10:09 am

Originally Posted by sophialite (Post 31414828)

I have to say, the idea of leaving credit for the Blue Duck Tavern unused does make me gasp a little bit. I'm a sucker for the bone marrow though. But that's a very generous way to use your credit.

Originally Posted by United747 (Post 31413636)
In my experience, you get the full breakfast credit even if it’s only one person. So even if it says $40 per person, I’ll get $80 if I book the room for one person.

This is my experience as well, I have yet to encounter a hotel that would refuse credit for two persons where the booking was made for the same. Even when only one is staying.

sophialite Aug 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 31415646)
I have to say, the idea of leaving credit for the Blue Duck Tavern unused does make me gasp a little bit. I'm a sucker for the bone marrow though. But that's a very generous way to use your credit.

This is my experience as well, I have yet to encounter a hotel that would refuse credit for two persons where the booking was made for the same. Even when only one is staying.

Oh I've gotten push back all the time. it's so irritating that I just ask for two occupants by default.

Re BDT, aside from breakfast I don't really like eating at hotels unless I'm in a third world country.

lamphs Aug 14, 2019 6:01 pm

Funny - this was a 'trending' forum earlier in the day. I started a 'trend'. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Gig103 Aug 16, 2019 3:00 pm

I had an FHR booked for two, and my wife arrived the afternoon of the second day. There was no problem having the full breakfast amount removed both days. I was unsure and so I did ask the waiter to put '2 guests' into the point-of-sale just in case it was a computer-processed credit instead of a flat dollar-credit.

instyleprincess Aug 18, 2019 11:17 am

As someone who mostly travels solo, yes, you get the benefits per room based on double occupancy, so I always get to eat two portions of breakfast lol
That said, I do feel that at hotels like Four Seasons, you can easily order over the amount in the included benefit even for one person sometimes