Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Solo Benefits - FHR LHR Virtuoso

Old Aug 13, 19, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have any experience with solo travel with any of these programs? Specifically, often these programs include some sort of credit for two, i.e. breakfast. Can an alternative benefit be negotiated when the guest is solo? Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:10 pm
Shangri-La Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ Silver, IHG Plat Amb, MR Gold, SL Jade
In my experience, you get the full breakfast credit even if itís only one person. So even if it says $40 per person, Iíll get $80 if I book the room for one person.

Iím not really sure what you could negotiate in lieu of this?
Old Aug 13, 19, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the wording of the breakfast benefit for FHR doesn't require that the second person for breakfast be staying in your hotel room, so you could invite a business associate for example. YMMV.
sydakllon likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:39 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
When I stayed solo at a hotel I always got the same benefits as when I travel as a couple. Often they didnīt even mention I traveled alone. Would only be relevant at the few hotels who offer single rates.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:06 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Additionally, the $100 F&B or Spa credit is all yours!
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:11 am

Programs: LH HON
I always book a room for two except when there is an extra charge for the second person. It lets me have a business breakfast at the hotel entirely for free.

Some hotels cap your total breakfast spend (Four Seasons SF) but I haven't ever exceeded it.
offerendum and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:35 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Echoing some of the comments here - if the breakfast is just breakfast, rather than 'value', then the 2nd person's breakfast is wasted (but feel free to invite a friend or something who isn't staying at the hotel but in the city, if a city hotel).
If the breakfast has an assigned value, you get the value for both.
If it's a set value credit (e.g. USD 100), of course you can use up the full USD 100.
If it's a lunch or dinner for two, once during stay, some hotels may be able to negotiate for you to make use of this twice (or replace it with something else) but this is case by case.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:46 am

If breakfast is an assigned value, I'll often just give the balance as a tip. And sometimes it can be quite generous.

At the Park Hyatt DC, I receive a $100 dining credit in addition to breakfast. I so rarely use it that I just give a $100 tip to the server.
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:32 am
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
If breakfast is an assigned value, I'll often just give the balance as a tip. And sometimes it can be quite generous.

At the Park Hyatt DC, I receive a $100 dining credit in addition to breakfast. I so rarely use it that I just give a $100 tip to the server.
Not sure if every hotel (especially outside the US) allows to use credit for tips. At some in Europe I know itīs not the case.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
Not sure if every hotel (especially outside the US) allows to use credit for tips. At some in Europe I know itīs not the case.
I always get push back at check out, but I've always won the battle so far.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by sophialite View Post
I have to say, the idea of leaving credit for the Blue Duck Tavern unused does make me gasp a little bit. I'm a sucker for the bone marrow though. But that's a very generous way to use your credit.

Originally Posted by United747 View Post
In my experience, you get the full breakfast credit even if itís only one person. So even if it says $40 per person, Iíll get $80 if I book the room for one person.
This is my experience as well, I have yet to encounter a hotel that would refuse credit for two persons where the booking was made for the same. Even when only one is staying.
United747 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
I have to say, the idea of leaving credit for the Blue Duck Tavern unused does make me gasp a little bit. I'm a sucker for the bone marrow though. But that's a very generous way to use your credit.

This is my experience as well, I have yet to encounter a hotel that would refuse credit for two persons where the booking was made for the same. Even when only one is staying.
Oh I've gotten push back all the time. it's so irritating that I just ask for two occupants by default.

Re BDT, aside from breakfast I don't really like eating at hotels unless I'm in a third world country.
Old Aug 14, 19, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Funny - this was a 'trending' forum earlier in the day. I started a 'trend'.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Aug 16, 19, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I had an FHR booked for two, and my wife arrived the afternoon of the second day. There was no problem having the full breakfast amount removed both days. I was unsure and so I did ask the waiter to put '2 guests' into the point-of-sale just in case it was a computer-processed credit instead of a flat dollar-credit.
Old Aug 18, 19, 11:17 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
As someone who mostly travels solo, yes, you get the benefits per room based on double occupancy, so I always get to eat two portions of breakfast lol
That said, I do feel that at hotels like Four Seasons, you can easily order over the amount in the included benefit even for one person sometimes
lb8001 likes this.

Search this Thread