Wiki Posts
Search

Appreciating and leveraging services, benefits and amenities

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:49 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Appreciating and leveraging services, benefits and amenities

I believe in extracting as much as I can from our luxury hotel stays whilst minimizing aggravation.

One of my favorite services is ... LAUNDRY. Not only because it is done so well and packaged beautifully but it means I don't have to pack so much and can minimize baggage. True luxury! Yet I have learned to be careful after one Parisian hotel stay during which I incurred a 1200-Euro charge for laundry -- let it be our secret, don't tell Jim.

Room service is essential. Breakfast in one's room is the best, you don't have to get dressed. We often dine in our suite because that is more comfortable given Jim's dementia. And, we order countless pots of tea or coffee, sodas and drinks/wine (for me, how do you think I cope). So, room service is de rigueur and great room service is amply rewarded.

Early checkin/Late checkout -- Maybe my favorite benefit, especially the former. When we do check out late, it rarely is more than an hour or two. I am not averse to booking the previous day to ensure early checkin but I don't love paying for a following day when I am in the room only an extra hour or two.

I appreciate turndown, especially when we have a suite, but sometimes turn it away when exhausted. I love it when we are not in, then return to find the room pristine and serene. Not crazy about pillow nibbles. Often appreciate other tokens of esteem.

Love all the bathroom goodies, the more the better. Which doesn't mean I use them all apart from the soaps. Speaking of soaps, ok to supply liquid pump soap but there had better be bar soap as well or I will be on the phone tout de suite because Jim will not suffer that liquid stuff. Loofa sponge I do use and appreciate. Yes I sometimes take these goodies home but not all that often. They have to be pretty special to earn a place in my luggage.

Unpacking and packing -- dear god have I learned to adore this after years of pish-tushing it.

Coffee-making facility -- OK when I can figure out how to make it work AND when there is 1/2 n 1/2 in the fridge (often there is not and a request must be called in) and when supplies are replaced automatically.

The Retreat at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland provided Moleskine notebooks which just might be my favorite amenity!

Binoculars and Telescopes -- The former are desired in most locations; the latter in some locations.

Candles - always a plus, don't forget the bathroom.

Gratis wine and snacks -- who would say no?!

Gratis bottled water is a requirement.

In some places a flashlight lends comfort.

We are annoyed by Gideon bibles and the like so rarely open drawers in bedside tables. Don't put anything important in there.

In Mexico, many luxury venues provide a chess set. Wish this were more ubiquitous.

Those slippers: always too damn big for me.

Totes are useful as are umbrellas.

The lime-green pens at Le Bristol in Paris are to die for.

OK, your turn. What do you like? What do you love? What is superfluous? What annoys?

Last edited by KatW; Feb 28, 2019 at 9:02 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:11 am

One of the amenities we have really appreciated travelling with small children to the O&O Reethi Rah is the free laundry for children under 2. That has been such a help for us and saved us a fortune! Sticking with amenities at the O&O Reethi Rah we love the oil burner and clove incense sticks that they leave in the bathroom and the torch for wandering around at night.
KatW likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KatW

OK, your turn. What do you like? What do you love? What is superfluous? What annoys?
The ability to order the restaurant outlet meals via room service and have it done pretty much as outside. Bringing each course separately and timed to our schedule. This flexibility is tremendous, and not always possible, even, at top properties.

Room service breakfast. Beats slogging it with the masses at the buffet.

Slippers. Almost always too small for me in Asia-Pacific.
KatW and bhrubin like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

always great when laundry is included, inclusive rates in general can be convenient

decent room service if i really need it will likely keep me from staying in 'nonluxury' hotels

has anyone negotiated rates including some laundry and dining (including room service) ?

jonjparr, what about 'stay list' ? IIRC you and MacMyDay have mentioned before

Originally Posted by Aventine
The ability to order the restaurant outlet meals via room service and have it done pretty much as outside. Bringing each course separately and timed to our schedule. This flexibility is tremendous, and not always possible, even, at top properties.
disappointing when luxury hotels do not even make attempt at flexibility, vs procedures

I love it when we are not in, then return to find the room pristine and serene.
many here love properties which deliver housekeeping every time one leaves their room

rates including both laundry and unpacking / packing can work out extremely well
MikeFromTokyo and jspira like this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:48 pm

KatW, I always enjoy your great threads and your writing style.

I also love absolutely everything about Le Bristol, including the amenity pens and the quality of the laundry service. Fortunately I have never had quite that high of a laundry bill, as when I travel for long periods of time I try to keep that under control by using outside services. I suppose one silver lining of having a spouse with dementia is that it is easier to keep little secrets about such expenses
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Laundry at Twin Farms was our favorite luxury!

fdw
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
jonjparr, what about 'stay list' ?
My stay list mainly has what others might consider to be inane things on there.
Examples:
- I detest sparkling water
- I like Robinsons Fruit & Barley Summer Fruit
- All the Nespresso pods need to be swapped for decaf ones
- I like chamomile tea (bud) but only when served with honey
- Extra towels / baby towels
- Bathrobes for my daughters

That's about it really - I'm pretty low maintenance!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting, thanks. also thanks KatW for another great thread

unlimited water in room also great for me, unfortunate not more standard

re room service - anyone had success with special orders (not on menu) ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 28, 2019 at 1:55 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
In theory laundry is nice but the prices most luxury hotels charge are simply offensive. I will refuse to use the service on principle. $10 to clean a tshirt, come on guys.
RichardInSF, Fliar and reigndrop like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

while others want convenience and do not care about cost

that is me for decent room service, vs nonluxury hotels, even if i almost never use it. actually same for laundry.. personally almost never pay for it, but if i do i prefer luxury hotel to nonluxury. the gap between even lower level luxury and nonluxury can be significant especially for certain things.

IIRC laundry included in all-inclusive rates at twin farms
(my post was only re when property doesnt charge for it)

luxury means spending a lot to offer a lot of things, 24 hours a day, and sometimes very quickly. contrary to perception, high prices (sometimes even rates) can still lose a lot of money. when one 'needs' something, the value can range from fairly high to priceless. major part of luxury service.

Early checkin/Late checkout - nice to be standardized by peninsula, as they are a smaller brand with quite a history and mostly owns their properties. was first at Beverly hills, early on.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 1, 2019 at 10:28 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:28 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Yes, laundry prices are outrageous but I am sufficiently enamored of the service I will pay just about anything, see above.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:37 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Yes, laundry prices are outrageous but I am sufficiently enamored of the service I will pay just about anything, see above.
youvs been to Twin Farms from what I recall? Just think: laundry costs $2k per night but inclusive of room food and drink.!

fdw
KatW likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I appreciate a full sized refrigerator on long term stays. PH Toronto, GH Dubai were both good enough to provide one. FS Dubai didn't have one but did offer to store whatever I bought in their room service fridge.

This doesn't mean giving me a Diplomatic suite either. Just putting one in any room!
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 1, 2019 at 5:09 am
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re room service - anyone had success with special orders (not on menu) ?
Coworth Park did my daughter mac & cheese when not on the menu - alas she didn't like it but I did!
FS Surfside and Chateau Saint-Martin recreated my daughter's favourite restaurant meal (Mini Chicken Katsu: panko breaded fried chicken breast, sticky Japanese rice, sweet corn, shredded carrot, cucumber ribbons)
Aventine likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I can pretty much talk my way into an omelet day or night, on menu or not.
lb8001, jp-mco and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.