Search

Luxury Hotels Anonymous Support Group

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:30 am
A4K
Original Poster

Programs: N/A
Luxury Hotels Anonymous Support Group

My name is Andrew and I am addicted to luxury hotels.

I fly around the world and go out out of my way for the “good stuff” and no matter what I do I can’t kick the habit. My unborn children will ask me one day why he can’t have that new pair of shoes and I will have to say sorry little Johnny, Daddy spent all his money at the Aman.

I hope some others can relate and give some support.

Disclaimer: this is meant to be in good fun, but seriously, I have a problem.
Pufnstuf, FlyerEC, camsean and 8 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by A4K
My name is Andrew and I am addicted to luxury hotels.

I fly around the world and go out out of my way for the “good stuff” and no matter what I do I can’t kick the habit. My unborn children will ask me one day why he can’t have that new pair of shoes and I will have to say sorry little Johnny, Daddy spent all his money at the Aman.

I hope some others can relate and give some support.

Disclaimer: this is meant to be in good fun, but seriously, I have a problem.
+ 1

We are / were DINKs

Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: some
Yeah....<blushes> I have no idea what you are talking about....or do I?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:29 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Of course our friends and family know we love to travel. I also find myself saying “We really like hotels”.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:51 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I was keen for a weekend away in March but the hotel I really wanted to stay in was booked up. My husband said 'does it matter about the hotel, don't we just want to see the place?'

Er... are you new here?

Disclaimer - I do want to see the place too but I'm very specific about where I want to say

Last edited by SilverSpoon; Feb 27, 2019 at 6:04 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:13 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
I was keen for a weekend away in March but the hotel I really wanted to stay in was booked up. My husband said 'does it matter about the hotel, don't we just want to see the place?'

Er... are you new here.

Disclaimer - I do want to see the place too but I'm very specific about where I want to say
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Luxury Forum worthy hotels ONLY or bust.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Aventine
Luxury Forum worthy hotels ONLY or bust.
The worst thing about the addiction is that I am forced to stay at a variety of dumps (think Marriott Courtyard) for work. These are invariably made worse by comparison to luxury hotels. My professional life would probably be a lot happier if I had never stayed at an Aman. Fortunately those account for less than half of my 150 nights a year.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I once had T shirts printed that said in big bold letters HOTEL SLUT. Need I say more?
Fliar, Aventine, bstv69 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:52 am

As someone who has really tried AA, I am very thankful that they never managed to brainwash me with their “program.” I also learned that life without good wine and enjoyment, such as fine hotel stays, is not worth living😉. In all of my travel experiences, and of all of my many regrets, I most of all regret trips I did not take. I seldom, if ever, regret a stay at a good hotel. On the other hand, I regret every subpar hotel stay I’ve ever had.

Seriously, can anyone here even imagine willingly staying at a Holiday Inn or an average Hilton? The thought alone depresses me beyond belief.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Seriously, can anyone here even imagine willingly staying at a Holiday Inn or an average Hilton? The thought alone depresses me beyond belief.
I once did 1 CONUS Hyatt House and Place (each) for the free night Hyatt brand badge and will never happen again. Just didn't like seeing open spaces and something unfinished. I need luxury forum therapy after those nights.
FlyerEC and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seems most here learn more towards 'all of the above' with regards to luxury travel

best luxury "hotels" just do not cut it after certain properties / accommodations / aman

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 27, 2019 at 3:01 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
seems most here learn more towards 'all of the above' with regards to luxury travel

best luxury "hotels" just do not cut it after certain properties / accommodations / aman
I think there are plenty of mere luxury hotel addicts here. These days I am more likely to travel to a luxury destination hotel than the destination sans luxury hotel/resort, although the two combined are irresistible. As witnessed by tomorrow's travel to Zihuatanejo, Mexico, for a weeklong respite in an oceanfront pool suite at La Casa Que Canta.

I never have experienced an Aman and am unlikely to do so given travel issues, even for those two venues in the U.S. As for best luxury hotels just do not cut it after certain properties/accommodations -- unsure of your meaning. Plenty of luxury hotel/resorts cut it, I give you:

Twin Farms
Cap Juluca
La Casa que Canta
Le Bristol
St. Regis NYC
Blackberry Farm
The Point
The Beverly Hills Hotel
Peninsula Beverly Hills
Las Ventanas al Paraiso
Las Alamandas
The Savoy
Laucala
The Retreat at Blue Lagoon
Gravetye Manor
Llangoled Hall

MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 27, 2019 at 4:32 pm
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
I just do not even know how I came to this thread. I am astonished!!! I only get to spend time at Luxury Hotels for work, as my company does Hotel Conferences around the World at Luxury properties. So I spend around 30 nights a year at the Loews, Ritz Carlton/JW Marriott Duals, Shangri La, Myafair/Edwardian, Park Hyatt, etc. and host all the brands in the STR scale that pay to be there doing business. But I always enjoy my stays at Upscale, Upper Midscale, or even Midscale Hotels around the world, which I end up paying with my points or money, and having a perfectly clean and nice room while also saving lots of Dinero.

I actually love Hyatt Place/Houses, Courtyards, Holiday Inn Express, Ibis, Residence Inn's, AC's, Four Points, and my personal favourite Moxy's, and the STR List goes on, as that is what I like when hopping the world. I usually fly around 200,000 miles a year, which half of it are done in J (Thank your UA 1K) and the other half in Y (WN companion pass and yes some on FR and NK). But being addicted to Luxury properties, heck NO. I like them, but not when I am the one paying for them, but when my employer pays for them. Only time I enjoy a good Upper Upscale property is with Marriott's Travel Packages I get for free through all the Marriott Bonvoy Points I get at work.

Either way, good to know there is a crowd for all those Independend and branded Luxury Hotels out there, as when it comes to Luxury and Economy scale, the Loyalty Program is not an important factor versus the rest of the scale.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:21 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by carlitos
I just do not even know how I came to this thread. I am astonished!!! I only get to spend time at Luxury Hotels for work, as my company does Hotel Conferences around the World at Luxury properties. So I spend around 30 nights a year at the Loews, Ritz Carlton/JW Marriott Duals, Shangri La, Myafair/Edwardian, Park Hyatt, etc. and host all the brands in the STR scale that pay to be there doing business. But I always enjoy my stays at Upscale, Upper Midscale, or even Midscale Hotels around the world, which I end up paying with my points or money, and having a perfectly clean and nice room while also saving lots of Dinero.

I actually love Hyatt Place/Houses, Courtyards, Holiday Inn Express, Ibis, Residence Inn's, AC's, Four Points, and my personal favourite Moxy's, and the STR List goes on, as that is what I like when hopping the world. I usually fly around 200,000 miles a year, which half of it are done in J (Thank your UA 1K) and the other half in Y (WN companion pass and yes some on FR and NK). But being addicted to Luxury properties, heck NO. I like them, but not when I am the one paying for them, but when my employer pays for them. Only time I enjoy a good Upper Upscale property is with Marriott's Travel Packages I get for free through all the Marriott Bonvoy Points I get at work.

Either way, good to know there is a crowd for all those Independend and branded Luxury Hotels out there, as when it comes to Luxury and Economy scale, the Loyalty Program is not an important factor versus the rest of the scale.
You're in the wrong place, babe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.