Luxury hotel Websites: Critique & Vent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotel Websites: Critique & Vent

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Seems like alot of those websites are really "artsy" and are trying to sell an experience/emotion rather than hit you with tons of facts...
Bingo. Most hotels simply aren’t that special or sexy, so life like photography would make them look rather dull. This is true even of some very good hotels in major cities, and a lot of resorts for that matter. Very few hotels or resorts, relatively speaking, are sufficiently beautiful to just be presented as they are. Villa Feltrinelli comes immediately to mind as one that is exceptionally beautiful.

It’s pure marketing. How do you make something rather mundane look appealing? How do you limit liabilities in terms of possible false advertising issues, while still managing to make something look appealing? That’s exactly the reason for the very general photography used by many hotel groups, such as the Four Seasons pictures above.

I do not think it has much to do with booking channels. Many people do book directly, and even those who do not will still often look at hotel websites.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Bingo. Most hotels simply aren’t that special or sexy, so life like photography would make them look rather dull. This is true even of some very good hotels in major cities, and a lot of resorts for that matter. Very few hotels or resorts, relatively speaking, are sufficiently beautiful to just be presented as they are. Villa Feltrinelli comes immediately to mind as one that is exceptionally beautiful.

It’s pure marketing. How do you make something rather mundane look appealing? How do you limit liabilities in terms of possible false advertising issues, while still managing to make something look appealing? That’s exactly the reason for the very general photography used by many hotel groups, such as the Four Seasons pictures above.

I do not think it has much to do with booking channels. Many people do book directly, and even those who do not will still often look at hotel websites.
Indeed.

Now that I think about it this concept applies to anything luxury...whether its cars, airline, car rental/hire places, etc. etc. And many other aspects of life.

I mean when you are at the level in life where you can afford such luxury experiences, what sets competitors apart are going to be exceptional or unique things.....I mean all of them are going to be large, clean, well appointed, with incredible amenities/features, etc. etc. So they don't need to sell anyone on the square footage or a rain shower or a nice bath room....it's going to be other things that sets them apart from others to get the luxury travelers' business.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:33 pm

I think that it is important to have floor plans for resorts that have different size units. It’s not a deal breaker, but I like to be able to compare rooms, especially if their are price differentials.
I dislike dynamic pricing. I agree with charging higher prices for holiday and seasonal variations.
Just like I dislike elevators that have hard to read button, I dislike websites with small thin fonts!
I am sick of seeing the grey haired man with the much younger wife or girlfiend.
FlyerEC and United747 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:57 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I hate FS website.

Even worse (and not always considered luxury) but Sofitel is horrendous. What is this? https://sofitel.accorhotels.com/gb/h...an/index.shtml

Even the URL stresses me out
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sydakllon
I hate FS website.

Even worse (and not always considered luxury) but Sofitel is horrendous. What is this? https://sofitel.accorhotels.com/gb/h...an/index.shtml

Reads like one giant splatter.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:00 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
What would you expect to see?
More room photos - this is actually in the booking process when you try to check out different rooms.
Virtual tours/360s would be great but hotels have been (as always) slow to take up on new technology.

I know there is the issue of difference in views, room layouts etc which can be managed through expectations, but very generic photos helps no one. Put these photos in the generic gallery, that's fine.

Four Seasons Sayan is another annoying one. This is supposed to be a photo of a "Sayan view villa" - it doesn't give any indication as to the actual view (and there aren't like 30 of these rooms for the view to differ that much).

Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:01 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by sydakllon
I hate FS website.

Their emails are even [email protected] or something to that extent.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 5:15 am

I appreciate those points, but the FS website is not designed with industry professionals in mind, or even with the type of highly knowledgeable travelers here on this forum in mind. It’s no accident or oversight that highly detailed information is absent, it is by design.

The photography, such as of lovely Four Seasons beds, attentive housekeeping, reflections of palm trees in swimming pools, etc... is aimed at the viewer’s emotions. And it also does serve to gloss over details they may not want to highlight.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 31, 2019 at 5:49 am
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:03 pm

It's problematic when the site doesn't properly account for families. E.g. only allows adults to be selected as occupants - and not kids.

Or when they automatically bump you to a higher category room when adding a kid - even though that room might be the same size (and sometimes even smaller). Or it shows the same room but at double the price. Or selecting one adult and 2 kids results in a much more expensive room category then two adults and one kid.

Last edited by erik123; Jan 31, 2019 at 2:09 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
I do not like dynamic pricing at all. I understand it at upscale business hotels and four star resorts, but at truely high end hotels I feel rates should at least fluctuate less, if they do at all.

RichardInSF and FlyerEC like this.

how many here would prefer higher rate to dynamic rate?
and how do websites impact property choices here?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 31, 2019 at 4:18 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I am hard pressed to imagine a scenario in which I would book a vanue that did not have a website.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to clarify, most here have focused on what best property is, and what others here have experienced. considering that context (completely different vs average travelers) how does content of hotel websites (especially if comparing hotels) factor into decision making. perhaps those who use agents have different opinion from those who do not. those booking direct with management may also differ.

Originally Posted by Nizar
Laucala has gotta be a contender here lol
Originally Posted by KatW
Bingo!
cant recall how long laucala website required password to access

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 31, 2019 at 4:24 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
I am hard pressed to imagine a scenario in which I would book a vanue that did not have a website.
heh, good point.

I feel like hotels/properties in this arena can fall on two extremes:

Roach motels that deals mainly with cash and other...unsavory businesses/characters.

Extremely high end/unique properties that only cater to the most distinguished tastes (with a bank account to match). I imagine something a level (or several) above Aman properties. I imagine things like private castles/estates (I remember reading about LeBron James and his family vacationing in a carribbean private ocean front mansion), private islands, etc. that may not have easy to access/see public websites. 5-6 figures a night. Something that most of society is even unaware of but a billionaire's concierge team would be intimately familiar with. (I'm thinking a bit adventurously, so those with more knowledge than me can probably chime in.) But then again these types of accomodations really are not hotels anyway.....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:58 pm

Slightly off topic, but what bothers are the awful videos that seem to be more and more common. Southern Ocean Lodge is an example of it, but they're all the same: man and wife, smiling, drinking, spitting on you, the little person. I interpret it as: "Before we went to Southern Ocean Lodge, my wife had just had an affair with the milkman, moved all my money into some offshore accounts and filled in the ISIS online application form, so things were a bit rough. Now we've renewed our vows and realised that Buddhism isn't so bad after all. Thanks, Southern Ocean Lodge!"
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

No worries for me, I'm not a billionaire.

Quel chuckle MacMyDay. I never look at videos but that's me and I am certifiably odd.

Some of my erstwhile professional life has been associated with internet user models and interfaces, particularly around content. And, it is textual and info content where most hotel websites fail.

As hinted above, this often is deliberate because venues see only the marketing aspects of their sites. Yet, with increasing emphasis on getting prospects to book directly on the website (thereby circumventing travel agents and their pound of flesh), it would behoove venues to enrich sites pragmatically with useful info most folk need in order to book. Every online booking is more money in the bank pure and simple, no commissions, no fuss, no muss.

I am likely to book luxury hotels online when my stay is one or two nights. I don't want to bother my travel advisor but want lots of good information. The better, more informative the website, the more likely I am to put that venue on my booking list.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 31, 2019 at 8:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.