Luxury hotels on TV - never lives up to expectations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury hotels on TV - never lives up to expectations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
For that level of service you're going to need your own Valet who can ensure these things are fixed beforehand.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:17 am

Yep, I don't think Mr. Carson would approve of a table not being set properly for Lord Grantham when he traveled. I mean, you have to have some freakin' standards.

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
For that level of service you're going to need your own Valet who can ensure these things are fixed beforehand.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I am a bit OCD and a perfectionist, but sometimes I cannot help but complain. At the Mandarin DC, the towels in the bathroom were not in a straight pile and the bedsheet was 1.7cm longer on one side of the bed. I know this seems very petty but especially when paying £1000s per night I think I have a right to be.
I think you need to see the movie Sleeping With the Enemy. Perhaps you have. Perhaps it's your all-time fave.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:20 pm

I love seeing the documentaries of State dinners at Buckhingham Palace. The place setters have measuring tapes to ensure that all the flatware is set at the correct distance from the edge of the table. Chairs are set at 27 inches from the table.
I think GodAtum would have a splendid time at one of the Queen’s dinners.
I agree that it is a let down, when people are careless in their jobs. However, I am sure that staff start smirking when they see guests pull those tape measures out of their pockets or purses!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:18 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think our OP has exacting (overzealous?) standards to which he or she is entitled but which rarely are quite to be met at even the best luxury hotels. Measurements for dish placement and bed linens are something out of royal protocols and/or Downton Abbey, not so much for modern luxury hotels. But I hasten to point out that a hotel like the Ritz Paris feels like a rare place our OP might enjoy—even as we heartily disliked it.

I do expect proper air con and do bring my own thermometer, for which I’m quite notorious here on FT. But I also confirm in advance that any luxury hotel can accommodate my requirement for 67 F or cooler. That’s quite distinct from what our OP is craving, I think.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happened to the Samantha Brown series? I realize that they weren't all luxury hotels, but some were included. I think it was on the Travel Channel.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GodAtum
It's funny how my experiences never compare with how these hotels are portrayed on TV. The service is never as good as it should be. For example, in the Savoy in London the housekeeper was saying she runs her finger checking for dust in each room. But when I stayed there I found some dust behind the TV. In the Mandarin in London, i never got a cake for my birthday.
With respect, you must not believe everything you see on TV!
EuropeanPete, bhrubin and Dave510 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:44 pm

I thought the two hour-long BBC-TV documentaries about the Corinthia, London, were outstanding, by far the best of their kind I have seen. It covered a lot of ground - so you met many of the staff, saw lots of background admin detail, met several guests, went to Malta to meet the owner, went to Las Vegas to attend a ghastly Virtuoso convention, and followed the conversion of the Massimo restaurant into a Tom Kerridge dining pub experience.

The manager, Thomas Kochs, poached from Claridge's, dominated the programmes with his silky charm, always fussing about which way the patterns on plates should face. He was a man with a vision and an incredible attention to detail. There was Virtuoso's head honcho, Matthew Upchurch, padding his way around the hotel to see if the new suites were worth his clients' cash. Tom Kerridge, clearly having a ball and raking it in on his name alone and hiring his wife to provide the sculptures for the new dining space. And lesser mortals like the 16 year-old trainee concierge, going to Harrod's to buy a suit; and the Bulgarian room attendant whose ex-husband had gambled away their fortune; another Bulgarian, preparing a suite for Bill Clinton. . . . This was a wonderful show.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:21 am

I thought that all TV doumentaries on hotels were rubbish, but I now take that back. The Corinthia show was outstanding, even though I missed the first one - the second episode was unusually honest and very good television.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:17 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I thought that all TV doumentaries on hotels were rubbish, but I now take that back. The Corinthia show was outstanding, even though I missed the first one - the second episode was unusually honest and very good television.
Was it honest enough to mention that there is weak or non-existent cellphone service in all of the interior facing rooms and suites (half the rooms in the hotel)?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
one exception proving rule? (am i only one who doesnt watch TV?)

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
interior facing rooms and suites (half the rooms
superior / deluxe - presume very few city view, cant book online
(ridiculous not to have "city view superior" / "city view deluxe")

exec - seems none with city view
family - none with city view
jr - previously said none with city view
deluxe jr - none with city view
garden suite - none with city view

whitehall / trafalgar - city view
(trafalgar could upgrade to river)
(butler service only river and up)
(virtuoso upgrades up to entry level penthouses)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 7, 2018 at 3:30 pm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
one exception proving rule? (am i only one who doesnt watch TV?)

superior / deluxe - presume very few city view, cant book online
(ridiculous not to have "city view superior" / "city view deluxe")

exec - seems none with city view
family - none with city view
jr - previously said none with city view
deluxe jr - none with city view
garden suite - none with city view

whitehall / trafalgar - city view
(trafalgar could upgrade to river)
(butler service only river and up)
(virtuoso upgrades up to entry level penthouses)
I don’t watch TV either, Kage.

I am interested, considering Vuittons’ praise. Is there any way to access online?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
The picture painted was of Disney Prince and Princesses obsessing over the number of pleats on a uniform, whereas most of the Savoy's customers are called Dave and are on holiday from Des Moines to see Les Miserables.
As a Dave, I object to this characterization of Daves.

I would not be found dead in a Savoy.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:51 am

Cool

Was it honest enough to mention that there is weak or non-existent cellphone service in all of the interior facing rooms and suites (half the rooms in the hotel)?
I did not say that Corinthia London was my first choice to stay at (it isn't) - just that I thought, compared to other hotel documentaries, that this one was unusually realistic.

As for watching TV, I do - but only Masterchef and programmes about hotels...
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Sometimes I think it would be a big pro when I hang on the phone all the time or people I don´t wonna talk to call me.....
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.