FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Best North American Skiing and Luxury Hotel Options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1941418-best-north-american-skiing-luxury-hotel-options.html)

uclabruin82 Jan 15, 2021 1:59 pm

has anyone stayed at Amangani to ski? How inconvnenient is the location for a long-weekend meant to actually ski?

Goodmorning2U Jan 15, 2021 3:27 pm

Its a significant drive away. We just went for lunch once several years ago but the service was surprisingly bad (no one to welcome us at the door to the hotel, or hostess stand for lunch), the gym and spa areas smelled moldy. I am really glad we didn’t stay there, even with the gorgeous design of the building. Hopefully things have improved.

Valveking Jan 16, 2021 6:44 am

I wouldn’t consider staying at the Amangani for skiing. The FS is 20 feet from the lift. The Amangani is 15 miles.

KatW Jan 16, 2021 6:08 pm

Let’s assume one does not ski, which of the cited hotels merit a summer visit for R&R?

Valveking Jan 16, 2021 6:47 pm

Both of the Jackson Hole hotels are fantastic in the summer. For pure R and R, Amangani would be great. Fabulous pool with epic views.

H.Lombardo Mar 1, 2021 7:15 am

Originally Posted by instyleprincess (Post 32968565)
My 2 cents from recreational/lazy skier who enjoys good hotels and service

Vail/Beaver Creek
FS Vail - not ski in/out but great service. Ski valet drop you close to base and can carry skis for you (again, lazy skier lol)
Ritz Bachelor Gulch - my fav location but service was horrible when I was there

Aspen
Little Nell - best all around
St Regis - only stayed there once, service was rude, room was dated
Jerome - cute little spot but you need to walk like 3 blocks to the lift

Jackson Hole
FS - ski in/out great location, great service. I'd suggest stay here for skiing then relax for a couple of days at Amangani

PC/DV
Used to live close to PC so never stayed at any of hotels in the area, but always love the apres ski at Montage.
Don't think there's any luxury ski in/out option in PC, if there is I'd love to know!

Telluride
I prefer staying in mountain village for skiing, Madeline and Lost Creek both decent 4 stars. Lost Creek slightly better value than Madeline IMO.

All great intel!
I'll add
Vail - The Arrabelle. At the base of Lionshead Just had clients there in December as return guests. I stopped in for a look myself this year and it's lovely.
Beaver Creek- Park Hyatt also has to be in there. Right at the ski school . Rather traditional decor but location just cannot be beat when skiing BC. Has a new large bar in lobby.
Just completed a site inspection in December. You can also get massages in rooms where doors can be left ajar to get fresh air and stay safe.

Aspen- St Regis rooms in the main building have all been redone. Ralph Lauren amazing and super luxurious bedding.

Deer Valley - Montage is mid mountain ski in ski out and is it's own compound . Very popular with families in particular.
-Stein Ericksen great when you want a private hot tub . And their Residences are the best in DV

Park City/Canyons. If you want ski in ski out Waldorf Astoria technically is as they have "gondola access" They have both rooms and more "residence" like suites.
Although Apex is not a hotel - if you are looking for new contemporary multi bedroom condo ski in/out -it's the #1 player in that category imo.

Bram Nov 26, 2021 7:57 am

Hi all. Does anyone have recent experience of the Ritz Club Vail vs the Arrabelle? Old (10+ year old) threads seem to indicate the Ritz is better, but I'm not sure how the properties have aged. Certainly the Arrabelle is priced as if it was far better, about 2x the Ritz for any date I've checked. The Arrabelle is definitely a far better location, but other than that how are they? Thanks.

ridefar Nov 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Seems like the right thread to put this in, but if not, please move it: Post Hotel in Lake Louise sold to CRMR.

We will have to see how this goes. Thankfully the managers are staying, but we have not had good experiences with other CRMR properties. Emerald Lake Lodge in particular is a red hot mess billed as a luxury property with prices to match. We have had very good stays at the Post, in particular in September of this year. The food and service was outstanding; the food in particular has markedly improved and is much better (and less stodgy Barvarian) than it had.been. From good to great.

pstm91 Nov 29, 2021 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Bram (Post 33760435)
Hi all. Does anyone have recent experience of the Ritz Club Vail vs the Arrabelle? Old (10+ year old) threads seem to indicate the Ritz is better, but I'm not sure how the properties have aged. Certainly the Arrabelle is priced as if it was far better, about 2x the Ritz for any date I've checked. The Arrabelle is definitely a far better location, but other than that how are they? Thanks.

Can't beat Arrabelle's location but it is definitely in need of updates. Was there last year (albeit very brief) and it felt very tired. I personally think FS is the nicest option in town, but of course it isn't ski in/out. If I'm going strictly for a few days of skiing, I'd probably still choose Arrabelle just for the convenience factor. If I'm going for more than just skiing and want to do stuff in town, well then I'd probably pick Aspen or Park City lol.

CLEguy Nov 30, 2021 10:48 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 32968431)
Its sordid and gossipy history is *very* entertaining. I am even more surprised that it is like, actually open. I'd note that the prices quoted above are not the entire story. There are 'other' nontrivial expenses.

I am *super* late to this but I will require followup on the YC's sordid and gossipy history. And its 'other' expenses--the scare quotes have me very intrigued.

mike_la_jolla Nov 30, 2021 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy (Post 33771499)
I am *super* late to this but I will require followup on the YC's sordid and gossipy history. And its 'other' expenses--the scare quotes have me very intrigued.

'Other' means you have to buy a house or condo to get the privilege of paying the dues. Not sure what condo's cost, but houses start at 8 figures.

ridefar Dec 1, 2021 7:50 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla (Post 33772073)
'Other' means you have to buy a house or condo to get the privilege of paying the dues. Not sure what condo's cost, but houses start at 8 figures.

How about the sordid and gossipy history. Where is that story told?

RichardInSF Dec 1, 2021 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 33774029)
How about the sordid and gossipy history. Where is that story told?

This is not adding to the thread, let's stick to the posted topic.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel

Kagehitokiri Dec 26, 2021 10:44 am

yellowstone club seems to only allow homeowners to rent homes of other homeowners
some here could inquire re whether they allow prospective home buyers
smallest condos >
six 896ft2 > 969ft2 1BR in alpine greens golf course clubhouse *
969ft2 1BR in warren miller lodge
~1500ft2 2BR in warren miller lodge and alpine greens golf course villas

* must be rented, owner/renter max stay length 180 days - may reduce sale price

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 33774201)
This is not adding to the thread, let's stick to the posted topic.

founder had legal trouble. thats it. not uncommon for luxury hotels.

Livetotell Mar 7, 2022 3:00 pm

Just wrapped up a three night stay at FS Jackson Hole. I've stayed here on three other occasions. This was an uneventful stay. The one thing that stood out was on obtaining the lift tickets. We wanted a two day lift pass, but was told ( in person) that one of the days the "mountain" was sold out. I've never "had" to buy lift tickets prior to coming to a ski location, but I learned a valuable lesson on how things are changing in that industry. We were after some wrangling able to get the second day for skiing, but it was a hassle. So beware. I had talked with the concierge and front desk prior to coming regarding dinner reservations, spa, and a dog sledding excursion. Not once did anyone mention getting the lift tickets a head of time. Nor was it expressed in any emails. Everyone was apologetic, but the concierge, and GM were unable to secure those lift tickets.

Quibbles about the room (valley view king). I found this room had poor shower pressure. I had always remembered a good shower there. Complained, but it never changed. The carpet in the room was a bit worn, and frankly it's about time for a major update. Service, food, ski valet, and spa all good.