FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Best North American Skiing and Luxury Hotel Options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1941418-best-north-american-skiing-luxury-hotel-options.html)

MicSanToro Nov 19, 2018 8:40 pm

Best North American Skiing and Luxury Hotel Options

What do you think is the best spot in North America for skiing that is a happy medium between luxury (great hotel/resort) and spectacular skiing?

Whistler Blackcomb and Four Seasons Resort Whistler/Fairmont Chateau Whistler?

Vail and Four Seasons Resort Vail?

Jackson Hole Mountain Resort and Four Seasons Jackson Hole/Amangani?

Sunshine Village and Fairmont Banff Springs?

Lake Louse/Kicking Horse and Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise/Post Hotel?

Deer Valley and St. Regis Deer Valley/Montage Deer Valley?

Aspen Mountain and St. Regis Aspen/The Little Nell?

Something else?

DSI Nov 20, 2018 2:22 am

If you can swing it, Yellowstone club. Otherwise look on luxury retreats in Colorado.

But to save some moola any from the list would do.

lastly, and most importantly, congrats! (Really, congrats!)

LinLant Nov 20, 2018 6:27 am

How do you get access to house rentals at Yellowstone Club?

Valveking Nov 20, 2018 8:55 am

Having stayed in most of those, I would choose the Montage Deer Valley. Four Seasons Jackson Hole is great as well. FS Vail is not ski in/ski out.

SP03 Nov 20, 2018 12:22 pm

Little Nell is also great

SP03 Nov 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Another to consider is either Park Hyatt or Ritz at Beaver Creek. I prefer BC over Vail

zigzag Nov 20, 2018 12:43 pm

Taos New Mexico. https://www.skitaos.com/lodging/blake
Rooms and suites are large and very nicely done and real ski in ski out and Taos is close by for culture and art. Eat at The Love Apple in Taos.

MicSanToro Nov 20, 2018 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Valveking (Post 30448839)
Having stayed in most of those, I would choose the Montage Deer Valley. Four Seasons Jackson Hole is great as well. FS Vail is not ski in/ski out.

I've been to FS Whistler and FS Jackson Hole, but not FS Vail. If you've been to all three, how would you rank them? I much preferred FS Jackson Hole to FS Whistler, but the skiing at Whistler Blackcomb is better than Jackson Hole Mountain Resort.

ABG Nov 20, 2018 7:43 pm

I have 3 sets of serious ski clients - all who prefer Jackson over Whistler.
they like to go all over the terrain with a private ski guide in Jackson.
the 2 Canadian families prefer the Canadian dollar prices of Whistler!

Originally Posted by DSI (Post 30447994)
If you can swing it, Yellowstone club. Otherwise look on luxury retreats in Colorado.

Luxury Retreats aka AirBnB ?

KatW Nov 20, 2018 8:23 pm

lastly, and most importantly, congrats! (Really, congrats!)

Might you not clue in the rest of us? Rude not to do so.

MicSanToro Nov 20, 2018 10:22 pm

If you can swing it, Yellowstone club.

Looking into Yellowstone Club Residences has revived the 'fight' between my fiancé and I as to where we want to buy a vacation home ~5 years down the line. Thanks for that, mate.

I want a more mountainous 'cabin' feel home, that we can use in the winter for skiing and in the summer for golf, climbing, and biking.

She wants a tropical vacation home for beach & tanning time year round.

She's had the idea of buying an Amanera Residence or another home in the Dominican Republic since we visited Amanera last year.

I floated the idea of Yellowstone Club to her, to which she complained that we always do what I want and how the Dominican would be better. A Yellowstone Club residence could be more than twice the price of an Amanera Residence, plus a $300k initial fee and almost $40,000 in annual dues. I tried to sell her on how amazing private ski terrain would be and how beautiful the golf course looks, to which she pointed out that Bill and Melinda Gates, Phil Mickelson, Ben Affleck, Tom Brady, and Justin Timberlake, are all members and therefore Yellowstone Club is "way too good for us". She does have a point.

We aren't even married and we're already fighting like an old married couple. Oh boy. For what it's worth, I'd rather be fighting over where to buy a vacation home than any of the hundreds of worse things to fight about.

Sorry about derailing the thread...

Valveking Nov 21, 2018 5:59 am

Originally Posted by MicSanToro (Post 30450608)
I've been to FS Whistler and FS Jackson Hole, but not FS Vail. If you've been to all three, how would you rank them? I much preferred FS Jackson Hole to FS Whistler, but the skiing at Whistler Blackcomb is better than Jackson Hole Mountain Resort.

I haven’t been to FS Whistler. FS Vail and and Jackson Hole are very similar hotels, but Jackson Hole is right at the lift and Vail is a few hundred yards away. I also think Jackson Hole in general is a much more beautiful area than Vail. Not that Vail doesn’t have its charms! Vail is a great little ski town, but the Jackson Hole area is full of incredible natural beauty. It is one of my favorite places on earth.

LinLant Nov 21, 2018 6:38 am

Regarding Yellowstone Club, the managing partners have some of these residence clubs all over. In fact, there is one in my own county called Silo Ridge. Tom Brady, among others is said to have a house there. Really? Was it free? I think these famous people are all letting their names being used for $$$. If I had the money they did and I wanted the private skiing I would just pay to get my helicopter access. Even for the bunny hills for my family.

The ultra high net worth just buy out places for the week where they want to stay.

If I were looking for a place to ski I would look to terrain, lodging, and ease of access to get to. Add in good hospitals, and for those that like to eat out or party, I would check for restaurants. Massages, shopping, kids ski club all are a factor.

DSI Nov 21, 2018 6:48 am

Originally Posted by MicSanToro (Post 30451519)
Looking into Yellowstone Club Residences has revived the 'fight' between my fiancé and I as to where we want to buy a vacation home ~5 years down the line. Thanks for that, mate.

I want a more mountainous 'cabin' feel home, that we can use in the winter for skiing and in the summer for golf, climbing, and biking.

She wants a tropical vacation home for beach & tanning time year round.

She's had the idea of buying an Amanera Residence or another home in the Dominican Republic since we visited Amanera last year.

I floated the idea of Yellowstone Club to her, to which she complained that we always do what I want and how the Dominican would be better. A Yellowstone Club residence could be more than twice the price of an Amanera Residence, plus a $300k initial fee and almost $40,000 in annual dues. I tried to sell her on how amazing private ski terrain would be and how beautiful the golf course looks, to which she pointed out that Bill and Melinda Gates, Phil Mickelson, Ben Affleck, Tom Brady, and Justin Timberlake, are all members and therefore Yellowstone Club is "way too good for us". She does have a point.

We aren't even married and we're already fighting like an old married couple. Oh boy. For what it's worth, I'd rather be fighting over where to buy a vacation home than any of the hundreds of worse things to fight about.

Sorry about derailing the thread...

Well, we aren’t fighting at all but very likely perma-vacationing near your old stomping grounds... in sawgrass! Almost there, playing stadium course shortly, which is entirely in the vein of luxury travel.

Maybe a beer at reve one day?

bostonsurfer Feb 14, 2019 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by LinLant (Post 30452514)
Regarding Yellowstone Club, the managing partners have some of these residence clubs all over. In fact, there is one in my own county called Silo Ridge. Tom Brady, among others is said to have a house there. Really? Was it free? I think these famous people are all letting their names being used for $$$. If I had the money they did and I wanted the private skiing I would just pay to get my helicopter access. Even for the bunny hills for my family.

The ultra high net worth just buy out places for the week where they want to stay.

If I were looking for a place to ski I would look to terrain, lodging, and ease of access to get to. Add in good hospitals, and for those that like to eat out or party, I would check for restaurants. Massages, shopping, kids ski club all are a factor.

I can promise you they aren't gifted or given paid access. All of these people have their own homes/condos, and the resort is very secretive about their guests and when they are on property. Some of the most famous and rich people in the world own here they don't need to gift memberships to get people interested. If you ever have the chance to go out you will get the appeal and fall in love.