Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Winter Aman Trip (French Alps and Sri Lanka)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Hello! I’ve been looking for a while to find a discussion forum regarding luxury travel to no avail, but now I’ve found this forum and it’s perfect.

I’m in the midst of planning a trip for my fiancé and I at the end of December/Start of January. Our idea was to include a ski getaway and a beach getaway in the same trip.

The current plan is 5 nights at Aman Le Mézélin for skiing in the French Alps, then flying to Sri Lanka for 3 days exploring Colombo (she is eager to explore the city) and another 5-6 days in the southern part of the country at either Amangalla or Amanwella.

I have a few questions that I hope you may have answers for:

1. I’m an Amanjunkie just like many of you (17 so far), and there is lots of discussion about almost every Aman property on this forum. The exception to that as far as I can tell is Aman Le Mézélin. I looked through the forum and found next to no discussion about the property. Is there a reason for this? Should I not stay there? Is it not as good as the other properties?

2. For those who have been to both, which is a better resort: Amangalla or Amanwella? I am leaning towards Amanwella, but am not certain. Maybe I could do 3 days at each.

3. Is the Shangri-La Colombo the best hotel in the city? I’m looking for luxury and a good location for city exploring.

4. I have *A Gold and Skyteam Elite Plus. We will likely fly Toronto to Zurich on Air Canada, Zurich to Geneva on Swissair, Geneva back to Zurich on Swissair, Zurich to Colombo via Dubai on Emirates, and Cathay Pacific from Colombo via Hong Kong to Toronto. Is there a better route from Zurich to Colombo with a first class product as good as Emirates? Is there a different route from Colombo back to Toronto that any of you would suggest that has a First Class as good as or better than Cathay Pacific?

5. What is the best way to get from Colombo to the Southern Coast? Jet charter? Helicopter? Hire a car?

Cheers!
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:39 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Welcome to FT!

Take a look at Four Seasons Megeve.

Cheers!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Sep 12, 2018 at 1:35 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:20 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Hello! I’ve been looking for a while to find a discussion forum regarding luxury travel to no avail, but now I’ve found this forum and it’s perfect.

I’m in the midst of planning a trip for my fiancé and I at the end of December/Start of January. Our idea was to include a ski getaway and a beach getaway in the same trip.

The current plan is 5 nights at Aman Le Mézélin for skiing in the French Alps, then flying to Sri Lanka for 3 days exploring Colombo (she is eager to explore the city) and another 5-6 days in the southern part of the country at either Amangalla or Amanwella.

1. I’m an Amanjunkie just like many of you (17 so far), and there is lots of discussion about almost every Aman property on this forum. The exception to that as far as I can tell is Aman Le Mézélin. I looked through the forum and found next to no discussion about the property. Is there a reason for this? Should I not stay there? Is it not as good as the other properties?

2. For those who have been to both, which is a better resort: Amangalla or Amanwella? I am leaning towards Amanwella, but am not certain. Maybe I could do 3 days at each.

3. Is the Shangri-La Colombo the best hotel in the city? I’m looking for luxury and a good location for city exploring.

4. I have *A Gold and Skyteam Elite Plus. We will likely fly Toronto to Zurich on Air Canada, Zurich to Geneva on Swissair, Geneva back to Zurich on Swissair, Zurich to Colombo via Dubai on Emirates, and Cathay Pacific from Colombo via Hong Kong to Toronto. Is there a better route from Zurich to Colombo with a first class product as good as Emirates? Is there a different route from Colombo back to Toronto that any of you would suggest that has a First Class as good as or better than Cathay Pacific?

5. What is the best way to get from Colombo to the Southern Coast? Jet charter? Helicopter? Hire a car?

Cheers!
Welcome to FT!

Regarding your questions:

Went to both Galla and Wella 1,5 years ago. Found them both to be below average for Amans, not my favourites. If you have 6 days, you can easily visit both which I would do. 1 or 2 nights at Galla and then relax at the Wella beach in the end. They can take care of transportation which does take some time, but cars and roads are good so no problem. When we were there, we preferred Galla, but 1 or 2 nights is enough. We had good service and food there, room was also nice and the pool definitely needed in the heat of the day in between sightseeing. In addition to enjoying the hotel, we looked at Galle fort and town and we also went to the markets and on a cooking class. Lots of places to eat nearby as well and some charming shopping. Visited a tea planation on the way between Galla and Wella (OK). Wella was on a wonderful beach, really a dream beach, but high waves so not suitable for swimming, service and food far below Aman standard. Room OK but nothing more. Nowhere to eat nearby. Went to visit a nature reserve with elephants (OK, but nothing special compared to other safaris), on a whale safari (should have left that out, waves too wild to enjoy sea), saw the markets as well (Galle better).

All in all, I would try to find another combination of ski and sea....
BlackHappy likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios

Cheers!
I wrote a review of Le Melezin in the consolidated thread. Have you seen it?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
I recommend against Wella and Galla. They might ruin the brand for you.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m an Amanjunkie just like many of you (17 so far)
one reason to do aman sri lanka would be to see sean flakelar (again?) (at aman)

keep in mind owner plans to sell amanzoe next year, and amanruya did not open last year
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

What amans have you been to, and do you use a virtuoso ta?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DSI
What amans have you been to, and do you use a virtuoso ta?
I’ve been to Kila, Dari, Jiwo, Noi, Puri, i-Khás, Bagh, Fayun, Summer Palace, Tokyo, Emu, Sveti Stefan, Zoe, Venice, Yara, Giri, Era.

While a trip to France and Sri Lanka may be an odd combination, I would be visiting three new Amans!

I do use a Virtuoso travel advisor.

Originally Posted by SilverSpoon
I wrote a review of Le Melezin in the consolidated thread. Have you seen it?
I must have missed it when I originally looked at the consolidated thread. I just found it and it’s making me even more interested (especially seeing some amazing photos). The Suite Le Mélézin looks great, and I’ll see if it’s available. Aman Le Mézélin looks like a perfect hotel for big skiers like my fiancé and I.

Any other tips you have to ensure a great stay?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 13, 2018 at 10:41 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote feqture
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:39 am

I can definitely understand why you would want to stay at Le Mélezin (on my list too) but IMHO combining this with Sri Lanka, is pretty complicating. You will be flying literally round the world to do so. Not that I mind, I have done crazier things but in case of such routing, I think I would add Amanpulo instead of the Sri Lankan Amans. Seems that you are also missing Pulo in your list.

I would rather combine France with Amanjena (neither on your list). Not a true "hot" destination in January but weather should be nice enough and keep in mind that even with only 17°C, the sun does feel quite warm in Marrakech so you can easily enjoy the pool and have outside breakfasts etc.

And to be sure: are we talking about december 2018/january 2019? If so, I would start to hurry because Le Mélezin is quite fully booked for this winter (from what I see online).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:50 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
It was absolutely wonderful. I probably don't need to tell you to make sure you use the spa! The hotel is half board with a few other local places included though we didn't make great use of the half board options. We had a great dinner at the nearby three Michelin star restaurants at Cheval Blanc if you're foodies.

I also have a blog post on it:

http://www.silverspoonlondon.co.uk/2...ski-hotel.html

Last edited by SilverSpoon; Sep 13, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Epicura
And to be sure: are we talking about december 2018/january 2019? If so, I would start to hurry because Le Mélezin is quite fully booked for this winter (from what I see online).
Le Mélézin also gets the same standing reservations each year, so can be a challenge to get in!

I think Tim Weiland is still GM there, still onboard AMAN from earlier years. Think the last time I saw him was at Jena under Miguel Guedes de Sousa. Loooong time ago.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 6:56 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Where are you coming from? Where do you normally ski, and have you been to the alps before? Or is this mostly about a brand?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I would rather combine France with Amanjena (neither on your list). Not a true "hot" destination in January but weather should be nice enough and keep in mind that even with only 17°C, the sun does feel quite warm in Marrakech so you can easily enjoy the pool and have outside breakfasts etc.
This is a great idea. I’ll look into Jena.

Yes, for this winter. Don’t worry, I’ve already got a booking.
Originally Posted by DSI
Where are you coming from? Where do you normally ski, and have you been to the alps before? Or is this mostly about a brand?
We will likely leave from YYZ, we’ve skied the Rockies (both Canadian and American), the Andes, The Alps, and in Japan. We’re big skiers.

The goal of this trip are combining a ski getaway with a beach/warm getaway while staying at Amans. Our other goal is to have visited all the Amans by the end of 2022 (which means visiting Pulo, Sara, Taka, Kora, Wana, Yangyun, Dayan, Ruya, Gani, Galla, Wella, Jena, Le Mézélin, Vari, and New York in the next 4.5 years).

I’ve booked Le Mézélin and am now looking at a) Amanjena, b) Amanwella & Amangalla, and c) Amanpulo.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 13, 2018 at 10:43 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote feqture
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:32 pm

Pulo would be amazing, I’m not really fond of January in Marrakech, can be hit and miss weather wise.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
You certainly want at least two full days at Amangalla. If you enjoy taking cooking classes, I thought the hotel's offering was great since they have their own field about a 30 minute drive in the countryside where you do the cooking after the market tour. Also, we enjoyed visiting the various temples in the area, the tour of Galle, yoga class and the sauna / jacuzzi. Within Galle, I would highly recommend the history museum, I thought it was very interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.